Preexposure rabies vaccine reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heavenly4505

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever had any kind of a reaction to the 3-shot rabies preexpsosure series. I took my first shot yesterday, and today I feel a little ill. Nothing major and no fever. Just a mild, almost flu-like feeling. Did anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if it's a reaction to the shot or just a coincidence, since there's illnesses going around. Like I said, it's very minor. I asked the doc before I received the shot, and he said very few people have any kind of reaction other than temporary soreness at the injection site. He did say a mild reaction is possible but rare. Anyone else?

Thanks

Lisa

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends felt sick for a couple days after each shot. I on the other hand just ended up with a impressive golf-ball sized knot and bruise that lasted longer with each vacc. Fun stuff :laugh:

My roommate (an animal control officer) got a nasty reaction to her last exposure series, ie, the third vaccine and ran a fever of 103 and felt horrible. One of my classmates (out of fifty) also had a reaction to the vaccine and felt nauseous. So it's certainly not unheard of.

Personally, I didn't have any reaction to the vaccine. It didn't even hurt! Since I'm a wuss about needles anywhere near my skin I was pretty happy about that. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Total newbie vet student question - do I need these shots for vet school? Do I need any shots for vet school? I've heard nothing about getting shots, but makes sense I might need something. I know my tetanus booster is coming up...:(

I didn't have any reaction to the Rabies series other than a bit of muscle soreness but the oral Typhoid pills were a real drag. I ran a mild fever and had flu-like symptoms-- I believe the series included 4 pills, you take a pill every other day. Basically I felt lousy for a week and, from what I remember, my reaction got progressively worse each time.

Vaccine reactions aren't fun but it sure beats getting Rabies and/or trying to track down emergency supplies of immunoglobulin if you're in a remote area. I was warned of rabid camels and dogs when I was traveling to rural North Africa and there was no guarantee of a source of readily available immunoglobulin in country. Exposure without prior vaccination would've required emergency evacuation to Europe for treatment.

BTW, anyone know-- do animals require post-exposure vaccine boosters like people? Or does the yearly dose provide sufficient immunity?

I completed my series a few weeks ago and they weren't too bad. It was a 2 inch needle, which was the worst part. Other than that I only had a slight fever after the first one, and some tenderness after the last one. Better safe than sorry though.

Total newbie vet student question - do I need these shots for vet school? Do I need any shots for vet school? I've heard nothing about getting shots, but makes sense I might need something. I know my tetanus booster is coming up...:(

You don't tend to need any shots for your first year. I believe that for your fourth year/clinic year(s) you are required to have the rabies shots. This may vary by school though, so ask them.

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever had any kind of a reaction to the 3-shot rabies preexpsosure series. I took my first shot yesterday, and today I feel a little ill. Nothing major and no fever. Just a mild, almost flu-like feeling. Did anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if it's a reaction to the shot or just a coincidence, since there's illnesses going around. Like I said, it's very minor. I asked the doc before I received the shot, and he said very few people have any kind of reaction other than temporary soreness at the injection site. He did say a mild reaction is possible but rare. Anyone else?

Thanks

Lisa

I felt very mildly "off" after my first shot; nothing major, but my second one was terrible! Shivers, fever, the whole 9 yards. It started at about 4:00 in the afternoon on the day I had the shot (I had it at about 10 am), and was gone just like that at about 4 am the next morning. My third shot caused me no problems at all.

My vet recommended I get them, working so closely with wildlife and all. Well, I got them and man, I just slept for about 2-3 days after I got them. I even left work after the first one. I just felt like it was 3 o'clock in the morning. I could barely stay awake.

I didn't eat much. I just felt plain sick, minus the whole ear, nose, and throat thing.

Just a little reaction, if that's what you'd call it.

You don't tend to need any shots for your first year. I believe that for your fourth year/clinic year(s) you are required to have the rabies shots. This may vary by school though, so ask them.

It differs at all schools, Western requires it before starting first year.

Nobody can require this voluntary immunization.

If you don't want the rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis then, at most, you'll have to sign a waiver in order for the CVM/VTH to CYA.

do animals require post-exposure vaccine boosters like people?
Yes.

do I need these shots for vet school?
Need? No. Highly recommend current tetanus and pre-exposure rabies prophylaxis? Yes.

BTW, anyone know-- do animals require post-exposure vaccine boosters like people? Or does the yearly dose provide sufficient immunity?

Where I'm from the first rabies vaccine an animal gets is labeled a 1 year, and every one after that where there is evidence of a previous vaccine it lasts three years. If an animal has a bite wound or other form of exposure, we recommend boosting the rabies if its been more than 30 days since their last vaccine, but it isn't required by law.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody can require this voluntary immunization.

Well I am pretty sure they require you get it, but then again you can choose not to go to school there:rolleyes:

Hello,

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa.
I felt the exact same way after my first shot! The other 2 I was perfectly fine though. No idea why, it just happened. Maybe I was sick otherwise but I swear it was the vaccine. That was the worst of it though!

Well I am pretty sure they require you get it, but then again you can choose not to go to school there:rolleyes:

Is that suppose to be in jest? I really am unclear on the use of the :rolleyes: emoticon in this instance and what tone you are trying to convey (against what I stated? against Western's supposed policy?)...

Please show me where Shirley has put in writing pre-exposure rabies prophylaxis is required for entrance at Western.

Is that suppose to be in jest? I really am unclear on the use of the :rolleyes: emoticon in this instance and what tone you are trying to convey (against what I stated? against Western's supposed policy?)...

Please show me where Shirley has put in writing pre-exposure rabies prophylaxis is required for entrance at Western.

I didnt apply to Western so dont know where to find it from there website but here is from UF's website and Im sure every other vet school is similar:

Students enrolling in the College of Veterinary Medicine must complete a health history questionnaire and submit it to the University Student Health Care Center and must conform with the immunization requirements for Health Center Students. In addition, veterinary students must maintain effective immunization for tetanus and rabies according to recommendations made by the Center of Communicable Diseases.

I'd be shocked if their wasn't a waive. I think Fetch is probably right, they're covering their butts. You can waive most things, if you sign the correct paperwork indicating you won't hold them responsible if you die a horrible, gruesome death.:D

From my understanding, the rabies vaccine is "required" just like many of the other vaccines that are "required" for interest into certain elementary grades or living on campus in college, etc. I have waived all of these "required" vaccines without a problem. It generally involves signing your life away on a myriad of forms that basically says you won't sue if you end up dying from said disease. While I don't plan on waiving the rabies vax, I'm pretty sure it can be done in a similar fashion.

K-State wants everyone to be vaccinated for Rabies prior to starting, but they did offer a waiver.

I personally am supposed to avoid vaccination, but the potential consequences of getting exposure at some point in the future, and having to suffer through post-exposure protocol, was a strong reason for me to get vaccinated - which I did this summer.

Even though I'm still far away from clinical rotations, I didn't want to put it off. Cost me $500 bucks, too! :(

I thought everything was good after the first shot, but several hours later, my arm was sore, but it was pretty much gone about 24 hours I think after. Took some Advil and avoided getting punched in the arm during that time ;)

The second shot hurt, and I actually startled my doctor, and we both laughed. I said, what the heck, it didn't hurt last time! And she snickered and said she was giving me something to remember her by. :smuggrin:

K-State apparently sees around 20 or 30 cases of Rabies per year, so that was good incentive. If you compare pre- to post- exposure protocol, the pre-exposure series of three is alot better than getting exposed and having never been vaccinated before... at least IMO.

I am finding public information on several schools (still nothing on Western...yet...;)) who are wording their policy on the immunization series strongly enough as to lead you (the student) to believe you have no option (i.e, no mention of your right choose to sign a statement of declination) but to comply in order to enroll in the program. This is troubling to me on several levels I will refrain from commenting on until I can coherently organize my thoughts and gather evidence/information to support/refute my current understanding of this subject.

As such, I am now actively looking into this matter and will report what I find as information becomes available.

I'm not against this immunization by any stretch of the imagination - I completed mine long ago.

Strictly looking in terms of financial reasons to get vaccinated...

Pre-exposure vaccine is probably 1/4 the price of the post exposure series, it's not like they are asking you to get vaccines that are of a questionable nature.

So pony up your cash and get the shots unless you have an actual medical reason not to because those post exposure shots are not fun (read: large-gauge 1 1/2" needles into deep muscle of your thighs, arms, lower-back for several weeks).

I was sick after the last two shots and was just sore after the first one. It was like having a miniature flu for 24 hours. I made it to class, but I felt horrible. Hope you feel better. :)

I did not mean anything against you. It is the "sarcastic" emoticon, meaning there are very few people who would choose not going to vet school rather than taking the vaccines. The requirement is given to you, in writing, along with all the other health requirements in a package before you start school. Then they actually bring in people to vaccinate you, if you cannot do it before, during orientation week. Then before you enter clinics in year 3, they have people come in to draw blood for rabies titers.

So please do not take anything personal. I was just pointing out that they do not have this "sign a waiver" option (or it was not presented to us).

Here's our school's policy:

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/rabiesvacc.htm

All clinical CVM students must receive this vaccination series. This includes those from Ross and SGU:
"Veterinary medical students are at higher risk for exposure to rabies and tetanus than the general population. Therefore, you will need to provide records of tetanus vaccination within the last 10 years and the final vaccination in an initial series or a booster vaccination for rabies within the last year. Alternatively, a protective rabies titer (1:5 or greater serum dilution RFFIT) should be demonstrated within the past two years."

So basically, we got ours last fall and then we'll get titers before we start clinics third year. Our dean did say there was some sort of complicated waiver maybe? I don't think anyone did it though. My arm was sore for 3-4 days after each and I was tired the day of. I heard a rumor (so this is hearsay!) that someone in our class had a really bad reaction and had to drop out because of it? The other rumor was they had mono, so I don't know. I am not up to date on the rumor mill, so I don't know what the real story was. He also said that if you were exposed to a potential rabies case that you would still have to do the post-exposure series. :( I guess the only positive thing is that SCAVMA and other grants paid for ours.

Here's our school's policy:

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/rabiesvacc.htm

So basically, we got ours last fall and then we'll get titers before we start clinics third year. Our dean did say there was some sort of complicated waiver maybe? I don't think anyone did it though. My arm was sore for 3-4 days after each and I was tired the day of. I heard a rumor (so this is hearsay!) that someone in our class had a really bad reaction and had to drop out because of it? The other rumor was they had mono, so I don't know. I am not up to date on the rumor mill, so I don't know what the real story was. He also said that if you were exposed to a potential rabies case that you would still have to do the post-exposure series. :( I guess the only positive thing is that SCAVMA and other grants paid for ours.

Yes but the post exposure vaccine series is only 2 shots if you had the pre. If you never have been vaccinated, you get 5. Most health insurances (if not all) do NOT cover post exposure, and the series is charged by the shot (up to and higher than $1000 per post exposure shot). So that is where the savings comes in.

Anyone care to comment if they have had any luck getting their insurance to pay for the vaccines? And if you have had to pay out of pocket, how much it has run?

I was quoted $190 a shot x 3 shots paying out of pocket here and am trying to figure out if that is about the norm.

If you take the preexposure series and are exposed, you don't have to take the entire postexposure series, provided that your titers are acceptable. I believe you only have to take 2 of the postexposure shots, and also you do not have to take the immunoglobulin injection directly into the wound if you have the preexposures. Still worth it to get it in my book.

Anyone care to comment if they have had any luck getting their insurance to pay for the vaccines? And if you have had to pay out of pocket, how much it has run?

I was quoted $190 a shot x 3 shots paying out of pocket here and am trying to figure out if that is about the norm.

Mine were covered by Kaiser. I had to give them the paperwork from Western stating that I was required to have them to go to school (this is how I remember that our papers said we were required)

Many of my classmates could not get their insurance to cover but got the entire series for $425 or so at the local health department rather than using their normal doctors. This was a while back though so I don't know if you can find anything cheaper than what you have been quoted.

In my city, you can ONLY get it from the health department. I haven't gone in yet, but I will certainly be calling my insurance beforehand to make sure.
They covered the HPV vaccine, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't cover something like rabies, but then again, they are insurance companies. The gnomes might not like rabies that day.

chris03333 said:
I did not mean anything against you. It is the "sarcastic" emoticon, meaning there are very few people who would choose not going to vet school rather than taking the vaccines.

[snip]

I was just pointing out that they do not have this "sign a waiver" option (or it was not presented to us).

I know what the emoticon implies; that is why I was unclear of your intent and sought clarification before jumping to conclusions. Unfortunately, you confirmed my suspicion.

Just because Western elected to withold from you your right to waive the immunization in the name of compliance does not excuse their actions of misleading people to believe a voluntary immunization is mandatory for enrollment. It is a dangerous precedence to set in my opinion.

If you want to know your immunization exemption rights: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-exem.htm

Nevermind that we're not talking about MMR/chickenpox. We're talking about an immunization that no one outside the veterinary medicine/animal handling world would normally even consider.

What I find troubling is the implication there is a trend in the veterinary education world to decide the ability to become a veterinarian is now conditional on submitting to a voluntary immunization by piggybacking onto state school-age immunization laws without adequate disclosure of your rights. As the link shows, there is not a single state where you do not have a right to file an immunization exemption.

And despite someone's earlier comment, this is not an immunization without significant adverse reaction rates; see the MMWR report I linked to earlier. There is no such thing as a benign immunization.

Nevermind that we're not talking about MMR/chickenpox. We're talking about an immunization that no one outside the veterinary medicine/animal handling world would normally even consider.

Actually, your leaving out the spelunking community. Dark cave where bats flying around your head is an expected occurrence.

I paid $145 a shot for my 3 injections. :thumbdown: Insurance definately wouldn't pay. Good luck finding someone who will.

Nexx said:
So pony up your cash and get the shots unless you have an actual medical reason not to because those post exposure shots are not fun (read: large-gauge 1 1/2" needles into deep muscle of your thighs, arms, lower-back for several weeks).

PEP with no history of pre-exposure prophylaxis/previous PEP is 5-1.0 ml of doses of rabies vaccine IM in the lateral deltoid (adults) or thigh (children) on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28. Pre-exposure/previous PEP is on days 0 and 3 only.

The difference is PEP with no history of pre-exposure prophylaxis/previous PEP requires a one time IM injection of human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) as well sometime between day 0 and 7. It is split between the bite site (if present) and gluts and the volume is significant because the dose is based on weight - i.e., a 150# person would require 9.1 mls.

When i had mine done they warned my about muscle pain and flu like symptoms. I felt like I had a small cold and that I had maxed out my arm lifting lol. BUT I do know someone who got extremely sick after getting her shots. She had a high fever and told all of her professors that she had rabies and had to miss class for a few days.

I was able to get my insurance to cover it (Blue Cross Blue Shield). I only had to pay three co-pays so total $30! The trick is getting your doctor to claim on their form that it is "medically necessary".

I had to pay out of pocket as well, but did not have a reaction. Just a little soreness. I'm so jealous that your insurance covered it!!

I had the series before working at the Wildlife Medical Clinic in 2006 (for the record, I was lucky: no reaction and only had to pay co-pays).

My question: has anyone heard of getting a titer - if previously vaccinated - for vet school? Just for kicks I asked my family doctor about it and he didn't seem to be interested in doing one or finding out what is required to do so.

I may be getting ahead of myself, here, but am just curious if anyone has any thoughts or info. (And, no, I haven't talked to IL about it yet.)

Okay, I should read more closely - I saw Electrophile's post about the Missouri policy. So, I will rephrase to see if anyone knows if vet school's do the titer (through the university clinic) or do we pursue with our physician?

My question: has anyone heard of getting a titer - if previously vaccinated - for vet school? Just for kicks I asked my family doctor about it and he didn't seem to be interested in doing one or finding out what is required to do so.

Hi, I got the series in fall of 2005, and just recently got the titer. I didn't apply to IL, but I think all of the schools I applied to allow proof of a titer if the rabies vax is older than 2 years. I am glad I did because I was well within the protected range (I was double whatever the minimum range was, Don't quote me on the numbers cause I only saw the paper very quickly, but i think it was something like anything 0.5 or higher was protected, and I was 1.0 or something like that)

Either way, few doctors offices know about it, and when I went in they actually did because an ACO had just come in the week before to do a titer. They had to look it up for her and got passed around to about 5 different people at the CDC, with the final recommendation being to get a titer every 2 years. Make sure when you get your bloodwork if you decide to to specify that this is a rabies titer following a vaccine, as I guess there are different tests that can be run.

Good luck

If you want to know your immunization exemption rights: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-exem.htm

What I find troubling is the implication there is a trend in the veterinary education world to decide the ability to become a veterinarian is now conditional on submitting to a voluntary immunization by piggybacking onto state school-age immunization laws without adequate disclosure of your rights. As the link shows, there is not a single state where you do not have a right to file an immunization exemption.

And despite someone's earlier comment, this is not an immunization without significant adverse reaction rates; see the MMWR report I linked to earlier. There is no such thing as a benign immunization.

That's definitely true. FTR, I am NOT anti-vax. However, both of my daughters had an extremely adverse reaction to their last MMR booster. They were given in different cities, using obviously different batches, 3 years apart from one another. However, within 24 hours of the MMR booster, both my daughters developed grand mal seizure disorders and neither had previously shown any seizure behavior of any kind. I spoke with my virology professor about this and she theorized that they both developed some level of encephalopathy. My daughters' neurologist said they should not have live vaccines ever again, but I don't know if I agree with that. She thinks they would have both had severe reactions to measles, had they contracted the disease, and that's why the live vaccine gave them such a reaction.

I don't know. But I do know I am now a little freaked out about having any vaccinations that are not absolutely necessary. UT doesn't suggest we get the rabies vax until 3rd or 4th year. And it isn't stated as a requirement of enrollment, however it IS stated as a requirement by whoever provides insurance to us during clinics (SCAVMA?). UT requires we carry this insurance to let us do clinics. The insurance provider requires the vaccine to provide the insurance. So it seems as though no vax means no clinics, which thus means no way to graduate.

...both my daughters developed grand mal seizure disorders and neither had previously shown any seizure behavior of any kind. I spoke with my virology professor about this and she theorized that they both developed some level of encephalopathy....
Oh my gosh! I would be a bit afraid of the vaccinations after that as well. :eek:

Mine was covered because it was "school related". I specifically went to a clinic that CORRECTLY submits it as such and it's all good! It is pricey otherwise.

I didn't have anything except some muscle soreness at the injection site. It was similar to what I've had after a tetanus shot but not quite as bad.

My current job paid for rabies shots for everyone and I got a booster since I was due. It was intradermal and only caused a bit of swelling at the injection site. No big deal.

I am all for immunization! i got my rabies vaccine last year before i went to rural india (i knew i would be tempted to play with the animals there). I had absolutely no vaccine reactions to rabies, oral typhoid, and japaneese encephalitis (informed later that you were almost as likely to die from a vaccine reaction as contracting the actual encephalitis disease...but i would rather take my chances in America than rural india). I guess i'm just lucky that I don't have major vaccine reactions. But i do think that if you are working around wild/or domestic carnivores that can bite, its better safe than sorry. And its not just Western that requires rabies vaccinations, I got forms on the required rabies immunizations with my acceptance to Texas A&M.

Insurance paid for mine because my Mom is an RN and can manipulate insurance companies! =D

Also, today we got a call from someone with a dog who'd been bit by a rabid skunk. Well, I'm trying to get the doctor to see if they could come down, and ten minutes I'm on the phone with her. I went in to an explanation of how people get post exposure series, but I'm not sure about dogs/cats. I guess I calmed her down because she went out of her way to tell the doctor how much I calmed her down! :D YAY for SDN and helping me at work!

Insurance paid for mine because my Mom is an RN and can manipulate insurance companies! =D

Also, today we got a call from someone with a dog who'd been bit by a rabid skunk. Well, I'm trying to get the doctor to see if they could come down, and ten minutes I'm on the phone with her. I went in to an explanation of how people get post exposure series, but I'm not sure about dogs/cats. I guess I calmed her down because she went out of her way to tell the doctor how much I calmed her down! :D YAY for SDN and helping me at work!

Ask someone at work to show you a copy of the state rabies protocol. It gives specific guidelines on rabies vaccination procedures for wounds of know and unknown origin. Whether the vaccine is given is dependent on if the animal is currently vaccinated, and how recently the last vaccine was given.

Just found it online:
http://www.mass.gov/dph/cdc/epii/rabies/controlplan/rcp_attach_6_wildlife.pdf

Wisconsin highly recomends you get the series. I'm thinking about doing it this summer, so if I feel poorly, it won't affect school -- hopefully?

I was able to get my insurance to cover it (Blue Cross Blue Shield). I only had to pay three co-pays so total $30! The trick is getting your doctor to claim on their form that it is "medically necessary".

+pissed+

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield at the time (through Aug 31), and by God, I was on the phone with them FOUR times about the damn shots!

Initially, I was told on the phone that they would "probably" cover it.

My doctor made me pay up front in cash. Then, her office (I'd like to think it was her office personnel and not she herself...) submitted the claim(s) to BCBS and got paid, in addition to my $500 cold cash, for three office visits, and three vaccine administration services!

AND, each time I got my shot, I paid an office visit co-pay too!

And after I had submitted my paid receipts... Blue Cross turned around and said the claim had already been filed and paid, to the doctor ---

Yes, I'm bitter. I just keep telling myself to see the big picture - that this was/is my future...

Now that I don't have Blue Cross anymore, and it's well over 90 days... I believe I am SOL.

OK, sorry for hijacking this thread.

/end rant! :mad:

Wisconsin highly recomends you get the series. I'm thinking about doing it this summer, so if I feel poorly, it won't affect school -- hopefully?

Unless your insurance will cover it or you have $600+ to spend, I'd wait until school starts. Not positive if they are doing it again, but last year (and previous years) they've had someone come in and give the vaccs for $15/shot. That's how most of my class ended up doing it. This year each clinic was on a Friday, so even if they make you sick, you should be fine for class on Monday!

You might try calling and asking OAA if they know if they are going to have the clinic again this year.