Preexposure rabies vaccine reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had the series before working at the Wildlife Medical Clinic in 2006 (for the record, I was lucky: no reaction and only had to pay co-pays).

My question: has anyone heard of getting a titer - if previously vaccinated - for vet school? Just for kicks I asked my family doctor about it and he didn't seem to be interested in doing one or finding out what is required to do so.

I may be getting ahead of myself, here, but am just curious if anyone has any thoughts or info. (And, no, I haven't talked to IL about it yet.)

When I was getting my pre-exposure series, I had to go to the health dept. No doctors here in town would do it. But on the receipt there was a spot for rabies titer with a cost of $30. You may want to check with your local health dept.

Members don't see this ad.

I was able to get my insurance to cover it (Blue Cross Blue Shield). I only had to pay three co-pays so total $30! The trick is getting your doctor to claim on their form that it is "medically necessary".

It seems like a few people have BCBS and were able to get insurance to pay whether rightfully or not in the other case where the dr's claimed everything. Does anyone know how to go about a BCBS claim after the fact? I have my receipts. It would be great to get at least some of my $450 bucks back.

It seems like a few people have BCBS and were able to get insurance to pay whether rightfully or not in the other case where the dr's claimed everything. Does anyone know how to go about a BCBS claim after the fact? I have my receipts. It would be great to get at least some of my $450 bucks back.

I know you are going to need to prove to them that it was 'medically necessary'. (Whatever that means to them I don't know... as I had trouble getting my physical/lab/xrays costs for my student visa covered. So much trouble that I gave up :/ )

I had my rabies titre covered by BCBS of FL under the General wellness benefit (if memory serves me). I would assume that depending on your plan, a rabies pre-exposure vacc should be covered under the same area. Make sure you explain to them that it is -NOT- work related and that it is a requirement for your studies. Frankly it would be best if your physician's office could submit it for you and not make you pay up front as it is a pain to fight them after the fact and it can take months to get the money back.

If you have paid already call up and hassle BCBS. They will 'review' the case asking for any pertinent information (aka medical necessity of procedure) so supply anything and everything. If they still deny the claim ask to speak to a supervisor because they should have the power to override any problems, it'll just take a little persuasion. Then again, if they want to risk paying for post-exposure for what could be 'volunteer work', that's their financial risk to take too...(but I guess then you already have the vacc.... :/)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my rabies shots covered through insurance. All I had to say was I was an animal sciences student that might be working at a wildlife or stray intensive facility.
I paid 30 dollars for the copay for all three. I got my tetanus shot at the same time as my first one, so I'm not sure if the second shot was worse or not. The last shot was like nothing. I went to work two hours later.

It sure was useful a year later when a cat decided she'd had enough and took it out on my hand.

I got the vaccinations series for research since I worked with bats. I and the other students who recieved the vaccination had mild flu like symptoms after the second but were fine for all the others. I don't know about cost since it was done through health/risk management department.

+pissed+

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield at the time (through Aug 31), and by God, I was on the phone with them FOUR times about the damn shots!

Initially, I was told on the phone that they would "probably" cover it.

My doctor made me pay up front in cash. Then, her office (I'd like to think it was her office personnel and not she herself...) submitted the claim(s) to BCBS and got paid, in addition to my $500 cold cash, for three office visits, and three vaccine administration services!

AND, each time I got my shot, I paid an office visit co-pay too!

And after I had submitted my paid receipts... Blue Cross turned around and said the claim had already been filed and paid, to the doctor ---

Yes, I'm bitter. I just keep telling myself to see the big picture - that this was/is my future...

Now that I don't have Blue Cross anymore, and it's well over 90 days... I believe I am SOL.

OK, sorry for hijacking this thread.

/end rant! :mad:

Hun, that is so illegal that it hurts to read this! You need to take it up with the doctor, and if he refuses to give you your money back you need to report it to the local medical association AND and affiliations he belongs to. My mom says that if you have all the paperwork and claims it's ok that you waited on reporting. If they've done this to you, you can bet they've done this to many other people that didn't know what was going on. Doctors like this are immoral, unethical, and should be banned from practicing medicine. They are taking advantage of a bad situation and are making it worse. No wonder insurance companies never want to pay! And no wonder people doctors have such high malpractice insurance! :smuggrin:

SO the first shot nothing, second mild soreness, third felt like they hit a never and hurt for about one week.

Tenn wants you to have the vaccine before starting this year or proof that you titer is high enough. The dean there did say if you had issues with getting the vaccine or religious reasons for not getting it you could sign a waiver. The dean I think also said if you had a progressive insurance co. pre exposure could be covered. Others only pay for post exposure.

Last time I had my titer taken it took a little research on the nurses part to figure out where to send the sample but it was possible and my insurance did cover it. Had the initial vaccinations in the military so that did not cost me anything, however I had a friend who did preexposure vaccines a couple of years ago and it was expensive for her ~150 a shot.

Hun, that is so illegal that it hurts to read this! You need to take it up with the doctor, and if he refuses to give you your money back you need to report it to the local medical association AND and affiliations he belongs to. My mom says that if you have all the paperwork and claims it's ok that you waited on reporting. If they've done this to you, you can bet they've done this to many other people that didn't know what was going on. Doctors like this are immoral, unethical, and should be banned from practicing medicine. They are taking advantage of a bad situation and are making it worse. No wonder insurance companies never want to pay! And no wonder people doctors have such high malpractice insurance! :smuggrin:
Absolutely. You can't the money from the insurance people, of course, because they held up their end of the bargain. But I would be on the phone calling the doctor's office every single day and if they do not return your money, I would absolutely be reporting them.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. The BCBS representative whom I last spoke to sounded awkward and unsure when I explained the story.

At this point, I feel like I would get possibly nowhere with the doctor's office on the phone. The receptionist can be very stubborn, insistent and matter-of-fact.

I had planned on writing a personal letter to the doc, then thought it might be better if I raised the issue face to face. Unfortunately, that would no doubt entail paying for another office visit co-pay. I may just do that, or ask for a time to meet with her briefly, once I'm home in May.

She supposedly had to pay cash to a colleague that worked at the local human hospital for the vaccines themselves. Whether that colleague actually paid the hospital for the vials, or pocketed the money, I haven't a clue.

She's not a new grad; she's boarded in Internal Medicine, and came highly recommended - which is why I had initially started seeing her a couple years ago. It just bothers me how I feel so taken advantage of.

Thank you for the info!

I went to the travel health clinc in order to get my pre-exposure vaccines. It was much cheaper than my regular doctor.

In case anyone was wondering, I checked with Group Health Cooperative and they do not cover the Rabies Vx. They charge $200 per dose! Ouch!!!

The animal hospital that I work at offered to cover the cost of rabies vaccinations for its employees as we deal with several stray organizations, so luckily I did not have to pay out of pocket for them...otherwise it would have cost me $195/per shot :eek:!
I did have mild flu symptoms for the day after I recieved the first shot- slight fever, body aches, headache and soreness in the arm. By the next day luckily, they were gone. The second shot just gave me a headache and a sore arm, and the third shot didn't bother me at all :)

I went to the travel health clinc in order to get my pre-exposure vaccines. It was much cheaper than my regular doctor.

I love travel health clinics. I went to one before I traveled to Eastern Europe because I couldn't find any doctors who could supply a lot of the vax I needed...they were cheap and easy!

Members don't see this ad :)

Heh, I can ONLY get them from the health department BY REQUEST ORDER in my town.
There is no option of going to my regular doctor.

Heh, I can ONLY get them from the health department BY REQUEST ORDER in my town.
There is no option of going to my regular doctor.

It's the same where I am in New York...only the health department can give them and you need to make an appointment several weeks in advance so that they can have them on hand.

I'm glad I got mine for free at work! My first shot was really painful, it felt like someone injected acid in my arm. It felt like the liquid from the vaccine was moving through my arm burning it. I cried in front of a room full of people it hurt so much!:( The doctor said it was because I had moved, but I moved because I could feel the liquid burnign through my arm in my arm! He took the needle out and there was blood on it so I don't know what was up with that. :rolleyes: I didn't feel well afterwards, but I think I didn't feel well from going through something so painfu! lI was really nervous for the next two but they were fine and didn't hurt like that, just very sore for a few days- similar to a tetanus shot.

Bumping this thread after the night post Imovax #2 :thumbdown:

The first vaccination didn't bother me at all, but yesterday I had the second round and it hit me like a galloping bison. I got a nasty headache, then became hypersensitive to the point where the touch of my boyfriend's hand on mine or the brush of my clothing was painful. Then a 102 fever, soreness, and chills. Happily, I managed to fall asleep after a while and woke up fine in the morning.

Anyone else have a fun reaction to the vaccines? If so I recommend a good dose of chamomile tea, a comedy movie, and a good friend :)

Last edited:
I think I got a runny nose with the second shot, and that's the extent of my reactions. And I'm not so sure that I would've had that even had I not been driving for 3 hours in a hot car prior and after the shot.

I did have a small bruise about the size of a dime though. That was as impressive of a battle wound as I got from this particular one. They used a 25g needle though. Those things are tinnnny! Didn't even feel it.

I just got my first vaccine today and I'm not feeling so great right now...I've never had any reactions to vaccines before so I'm hoping I can sleep this one off. bleckkk.

is imovax the vaccine that's causing these reactions?

i didn't experience any reactions and i had rabavert. my arm was a little sore after the second one, but that was it.

I used Rabavert as well an had no reaction..at least to my first. I get my second on Tuesday so we'll see if that changes.

Mine was Imovax, I felt a big sluggish in the evening after my first shot, cold-ish symptoms that didnt last more than 24 hrs after the second shot, and tired and slightly achey after the third. nothing major at all, and for the record, my insurance did cover it, all i had to pay was the co-pay and my deductible..

I had rabavert and only had the muscle soreness for the first vaccine. The second round hit me a lot faster and I thought I might have felt a little nauseous, but that may have been unrelated. Third time I hardly had any pain at all.

I had Rabavert and I'm still feeling lousy from my first round yesterday. Nothing serious, but still not feeling well.

I am using Imovax and had my second shot today. For the first shot, my arm was a little sore and I had a headache the next day. So far, my arm is sore again but I'll see tomorrow or later tonight if anything else happens. Thought it was funny that the nurse went to show all the other nurses the pretty fuchsia vaccine :)

Thought it was funny that the nurse went to show all the other nurses the pretty fuchsia vaccine :)

:laugh: My nurse kept talking about how exciting it was to give someone such a colorful vaccine.

I think I'll start this series tomorrow. My mom is paranoid and willing to pay for 2/3 shots. It's just for the VIDA trip at this point, but it will still be good for quite a few years. So... well, I hope it doesn't make me feel bad.

in 2005 I got my second shot in the series. then a week later broke out in hives. And then the hives lasted for about two months. Not 100% sure that is was the RV, but now the only doc in Baltimore who gives rabies vaccines won't give me anymore. She's afraid I'll go into anaphylaxis (reasonable I guess).
I tried to get the GBMC emergency room to give me one but the ER doc "didn't feel comfortable" giving it. I don't know what is so hard about it: if I am fine, then great, if I try to die, pump me full of steroids and antihistamines after you intubate me...
So now I am playing phone-tag with multiple allergists about getting a intradermal RV test, but the only one who agreed couldn't do it until September, when I'll be in Virginia at school!
I am getting really fed up :(

I am hoping I might be able to find someone in Blacksburg who will give it to me. I am half tempted to just get it without telling them I might have a reaction, and just getting my husband to take me to a local ER to hang out for a few hours.

AND all of this garbage will be out-of-pocket. Boo!

I am using Imovax and had my second shot today. For the first shot, my arm was a little sore and I had a headache the next day. So far, my arm is sore again but I'll see tomorrow or later tonight if anything else happens. Thought it was funny that the nurse went to show all the other nurses the pretty fuchsia vaccine :)

Well, next day and feel lousy. Headache, achy all over. Worse than the first one, which only lasted a day. Imovax for the record.

Most health insurances (if not all) do NOT cover post exposure

Not entirely true. My insurance company takes the position that they will cover all 'preventative' vaccinations 100%, except rabies, which they will ONLY cover 100% POST-EXPOSURE (and they cover 0% for pre-exposure prevention). How much sense does that make?

Not entirely true. My insurance company takes the position that they will cover all 'preventative' vaccinations 100%, except rabies, which they will ONLY cover 100% POST-EXPOSURE (and they cover 0% for pre-exposure prevention). How much sense does that make?

It makes sense from the insurance standpoint. The likelihood of you needing a post-exposure rabies vaccination is very low. So they rarely have to pay out.

The general population is not really at risk for rabies in the US. The population that is largely at risk are those who are frequently working with animals. And since this potential exposure is occupation related, health insurance companies don't really care because its not their problem. And this is all fairly logical because if you are exposed to work, its going to be your employers workmans comp insurance that is paying for the post exposure shots anyways.

What sense would it make for your private insurance to cover rabies vaccines only to save your employer's workmans comp insurance money when you are exposed at work? Also given the prevalence of disease and efficacy of post exposure vaccines there is no real indication for pre-exposure vaccination except for those at "high risk" of rabies exposure(what the CDC website says).

On the flip side, my insurance did pay for all but like $75 worth of my shots and I really have no idea how.

The general population is not really at risk for rabies in the US. The population that is largely at risk are those who are frequently working with animals. And since this potential exposure is occupation related, health insurance companies don't really care because its not their problem. And this is all fairly logical because if you are exposed to work, its going to be your employers workmans comp insurance that is paying for the post exposure shots anyways.

What sense would it make for your private insurance to cover rabies vaccines only to save your employer's workmans comp insurance money when you are exposed at work?

Beeecause I'm already paying money into the insurance system, and thus have already paid for the vaccines, and want my money's worth?

I really don't care whether the general population is at risk for rabies. We've paid for health insurance for years and I just want what I've been paying for.

Recent reports also confirm that water is wet.

It makes sense from the insurance standpoint. The likelihood of you needing a post-exposure rabies vaccination is very low. So they rarely have to pay out.

I get that insurance companies want to keep money, not pay it out...BUT the benefits books says they cover all "preventative vaccines" 100%...so I call to confirm before I go to the Dr and am told, yep, it's preventative, so it's covered 100% (less co-pay) . Of course, they tell the Dr something different when they call...so when I call back the 2nd time is when I get the "only post-exposure" spiel and when I ask specifically where I might find this information annotated (since the benefits book makes no reference to an exception for the rabies vaccination, no one can tell me where I might find this exception documented. So then, I order the actual policy documents from the plan administrator, and nope, no exceptions for the rabies vaccination listed anywhere. Imagine that, an insurance company denying payment of a claim that is not excluded by their own policy documents...

Edited because my little insurance rant doesn't belong here. So ya know... move along... and enjoy your vaccine discussion.

No but we do have a rant thread just a bit down!

Just curious, does anyone know how prevalent Rabies actually is? most immunizations I have ever gotten cause severe reactions. I would rather not risk killing myself to get a prophylactic vaccine, but I also dont want to get rabies....

I would think going into a profession that has abnormally high circumstances of being presented with a disease that's about 100% fatal (untreated, granted), you'd want the vaccine. I'm not sure it's something you can opt out of for 'religious reasons' (or whatever reasons people use) either.

I'm not sure it's something you can opt out of for 'religious reasons' (or whatever reasons people use) either.

Everyone will allow you to opt out if you want to. Here at OSU if you opt out though and are exposed to rabies during school related activities then you are responsible to pay out of pocket for the post exposure vaccination.

Just curious, does anyone know how prevalent Rabies actually is? most immunizations I have ever gotten cause severe reactions. I would rather not risk killing myself to get a prophylactic vaccine, but I also dont want to get rabies....

If vaccines tend to give you severe reactions, your doctor should be aware of the risk and take necessary precautions/make sure you are monitored and cared for immediately if something arises.

Depending on what area you study/practice in, you might have a good chance of being unexpectedly exposed to rabies, perhaps without your or your doctor's knowledge. I believe the number of people who have survived rabies without prophylaxis can be counted on one hand --if it were me, I would prefer taking my chances with vaccine.

I would suggest finding out from a trusted source (your vet school, health dept., etc.) how common rabies is in the area, then discussing the situation with your doctor.

How much in total did the pre-exposure vax cost you guys? My physician at home called the vax into the pharmacy where I have to then pick it up and bring it to the office for each injection. Total that is going to cost me around $810. Am I getting ripped off? Was everyone else's this expensive?

If I wait and get it done at school I was told it was about $237 per shot so...$711. I'd feel more comfortable getting it at home considering everything i've read about people not feeling too great afterwords. Also it would be great to have one less thing to worry about during the semester.

Should I go through with this and pay the ~$800 or do you think it is worth it to get it elsewhere?

Well the quote from the health department was $1,200. The quote from the school was $700ish. The quote from a local clinic about 10 minutes from the school was $580. No clinics in my home area (where I am currently) would even do the injection, so I went with the clinic in my college's town.

How much in total did the pre-exposure vax cost you guys? My physician at home called the vax into the pharmacy where I have to then pick it up and bring it to the office for each injection. Total that is going to cost me around $810. Am I getting ripped off? Was everyone else's this expensive?

I had posted elsewhere that I bought it on my own, as I'm trying to get insurance to pay. I went to primary -$30 copay for exam to get script. I faxed it to Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy (main office in Michigan, I sent to Ft. Lauderdale) 3 doses of Imovax cost me $592. I did not price Rabavert. I picked it up but they said they would ship at probably no charge anywhere in continental U.S. I asked specifically for sdn people. Then $10 a shot for the nurse to give it. So a little cheaper. Glad I am doing it in the summer anyway, because I felt icky the day after.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

I need to get the rabies pre-exposure series for an internship I'm going to be doing at the end of the summer (around mid-August).

1) I understand it is a 3-shot series. How spread apart are these? I'm just worried about being able to fit them all in before mid-August.

2) On the basis of #1, if I can't fit all of them in before my internship starts, would 1 or 2 shots be sufficient? I should probably contact the people running the internship, but I just wanted to know if there was an accepted dose--ie, after 1 shot, you're considered "vaccinated" or is it only after all 3?

3) Who did you all go to get the series? I will ask my PCP, but I have a feeling she will have no clue. Do you just call up the state health department? I've been looking on their website but beyond "If you have an increased risk of exposure to rabies, you should get the pre-exposure vax!" I can't find anything about actually getting the vaccine.

Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks!!!