Preexposure rabies vaccine reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) I understand it is a 3-shot series. How spread apart are these? I'm just worried about being able to fit them all in before mid-August.

2) On the basis of #1, if I can't fit all of them in before my internship starts, would 1 or 2 shots be sufficient? I should probably contact the people running the internship, but I just wanted to know if there was an accepted dose--ie, after 1 shot, you're considered "vaccinated" or is it only after all 3?

3) Who did you all go to get the series?

1. for example, if you started your vaccines on this coming monday you would get the first one on that monday, the second one on the following monday, skip a week, then get the 3rd shot on the fourth (or fifth) monday.

2. if 1 or 2 shots was sufficient, there wouldn't be 3 shots to the series ;) ...but call and ask those in charge of the internship.

3. i went to the health dept.

Members don't see this ad.

The specific timetable is non-negotiable. If you are not able to get the 3 shots in the prescribed time frame, you have to start over.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten mine yet... I volunteer at a wildlife rescue and in order to work with bats, raccoons, and foxes, we are required to get a rabies series. My insurance says they will pay if "medically necessary," and as some of you have already said... whatever that means :rolleyes:. When I get accepted, I will speak to my doctor as well as clinics to find the best route.

At the rescue I volunteer at, I was talking to another volunteer who had started the series and stopped after the second shot because she ended up getting MASSIVE migraines, to the point where she was nauseated, had a fever, and was seeing spots and had blurred vision. It was more intensified with the second shot, so she didnt get the third one. I already get migraines periodically, so I haven't really been looking forward to the series hahaha... even though not everyone reacts the same ;)

I haven't gotten mine yet... I volunteer at a wildlife rescue and in order to work with bats, raccoons, and foxes, we are required to get a rabies series. My insurance says they will pay if "medically necessary," and as some of you have already said... whatever that means :rolleyes:. When I get accepted, I will speak to my doctor as well as clinics to find the best route.

At the rescue I volunteer at, I was talking to another volunteer who had started the series and stopped after the second shot because she ended up getting MASSIVE migraines, to the point where she was nauseated, had a fever, and was seeing spots and had blurred vision. It was more intensified with the second shot, so she didnt get the third one. I already get migraines periodically, so I haven't really been looking forward to the series hahaha... even though not everyone reacts the same ;)

PM'ed you!

I just started my 3 shot protocol yesterday.. I am in probably a different situation than everyone else however, it is worth putting out there. I work at a clinic on a military installation. The military is covering the cost of all rabies shots, which is fantastic.

The military also requires us to have a blood work up, hearing vision and pulmonary function test. (FOR FREE) I asked, whats the deal for all of this? I was told that if something were to happen while at work they want a complete work up done before hand to compare to.. so basically if I am exposed to something they are able to compare the blood work after exposure to the bloodwork before exposure and etc... I guess I am down with it since I will be up to date starting yesterday. Hopefully, I will only have to have a blood draw to confirm my rabies titer levels before vet school since the last shot will not be within 1 year of starting school. Anyways, that was my quick note about that. If you are near a military base and they have a vet clinic it may be worth looking into working there.

Lastly, my arm is friggen' sore after the shot but thats it.. this is only the first shot we will see how the other 2 go..

Anyone care to comment if they have had any luck getting their insurance to pay for the vaccines? And if you have had to pay out of pocket, how much it has run?

I was quoted $190 a shot x 3 shots paying out of pocket here and am trying to figure out if that is about the norm.

Insurance? what's that?
My clinic paid half of the cost, which was nice.

I remember getting really sick from the first shot, but my second wasn't as bad. By the third shot, I was fine.

I got my rabies vaccines last year when I started vet school...did it through the school. A couple of days after each injection, I would wake up very dizzy and unable to walk straight. This happened with all 3 shots. Then periodically throughout the semester, I would have those same symptoms again. I would just get dizzy for no reason. It kinda sucked. :shrug:

I just started my 3 shot protocol yesterday.. I am in probably a different situation than everyone else however, it is worth putting out there. I work at a clinic on a military installation. The military is covering the cost of all rabies shots, which is fantastic.

The military also requires us to have a blood work up, hearing vision and pulmonary function test. (FOR FREE) I asked, whats the deal for all of this? I was told that if something were to happen while at work they want a complete work up done before hand to compare to.. so basically if I am exposed to something they are able to compare the blood work after exposure to the bloodwork before exposure and etc... I guess I am down with it since I will be up to date starting yesterday. Hopefully, I will only have to have a blood draw to confirm my rabies titer levels before vet school since the last shot will not be within 1 year of starting school. Anyways, that was my quick note about that. If you are near a military base and they have a vet clinic it may be worth looking into working there.

Lastly, my arm is friggen' sore after the shot but thats it.. this is only the first shot we will see how the other 2 go..

Off-topic: I remember listening to a new story where some doctors in the military wanted to take before-and-after CTs of infantry to search for the hidden damage that occurs with explosions.... Don't know what happened.

FWIW, I regularly get migraines (with aura...call me super lucky) and was not in the least bothered by the vaccines.

I'm midway through the protocol; the first shot didn't seem to have any effect on me, but the second shot left my arm sore all night.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have an Ivermectin allergy? One of my classmates has one and isn't able to take the vaccine. Does anyone have any insight to a problem like this.

(I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if it's up there somewhere)

Just an update, but I went through the whole series with nothing more than a sore arm the day after. Take some ibuprofen beforehand and that might help, or if you are prone to reactions, try a benadryl too. Just don't take any anti-malarial medicines, lol.