Preference to in-state applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... does anyone know of where I can find out what Med Schools give preference to their own residents?... Without looking through every single schools website.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Every state school gives preference to their own residents, without exception. Most private schools give at least a small amount of preference to their own residents, but some don't give any, such as Stanford.
To determine level of instate preference, I look at the instate vs. out-of-state acceptance ratios of each school. This is available at http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php , but you have to pay for the information.

Note: Most schools, even state schools, will consider out-of-state applicants for MD/PhD (MSTP) programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also wonder about this though, because some state schools give more preference than others, and some private schools give preference while others don't. Like I'm in Pennsylvania, so Penn State should give preference, and I know Temple does even though it's private. But lots of the private schools don't (I didn't go back and check but I think Jefferson and Drexel don't.) But I'm originally from SC, and the med schools there have really really strong preference, so for example it's really hard to get into MUSC if you aren't a SC resident. It's all a tad confusing. Not that it matters all that much, I'll just apply everywhere in PA and wherever else I'm interested in anyway :)

chan said:
Hi everyone... does anyone know of where I can find out what Med Schools give preference to their own residents?... Without looking through every single schools website.

Thanks

See if you can get your hands on a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), which is helpful to have anyway. You can look at the number of in-state vs. out-of-state interviewees/matriculants at different schools to get an idea for which ones blacklist out-of-staters versus those that are relatively accomodating to out-of-staters.

great, so the only school in PA that gives preference is Temple! not even Penn State!?
ugh
thanks for the link though

tigress said:
great, so the only school in PA that gives preference is Temple! not even Penn State!?
ugh
thanks for the link though

I thought UPenn gave some preference to PA residents....

a little-known fact: Jefferson is the official school for Delaware, even though it's in Philadelphia. yes, if you are from Delaware you get preference at Jefferson
go figure

Law2Doc said:
I don't think so (& it's not a state school in case that's what you meant). Certainly not borne out by the stats.

In the MSAR, UPenn has a small clause that says something like "while applicants from all over the country are encouraged to apply, slight preference may be given to PA residents." It's not an overwhelming percentage of their students that comes from in-state, but 47/147 is still pretty sizable.