• UC San Francisco

Votes: 55 59.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, I'm just interested in where would you go among the UC schools ... they vary considerably in terms of emphasis, curriculum, location, etc and it would be nice to get an idea of what the general preferences are out there!

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I don't think you are going to get a different answer than when you asked last time... :)

Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea I really like UCLA's program and facilities ... I just have to wait for UCSF's second look to compare though

Jun 30, 2009
small town, America
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it really depends on what kind of program you are looking for. and also what type of medicine you want to practise ( rural focused in Davis vs. Urban in LA or SF) or research heavy SD. and also what type of environment you prefer.

Appless

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
SF>LA>SD>Davis>Irvine

Id take SF for sure if i was there, if not then LA...

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
My preferences are probably going to be totally different from many here based on the fact that I have limited interest in research and no interest in academic medicine, but here's my list:

UCLA > UC Irvine > UC Davis > UCSD > UCSF

Based on location though, it would be:

UCSD > UC Irvine > UCLA > UCSF > UC Davis

Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
My preferences are probably going to be totally different from many here based on the fact that I have limited interest in research and no interest in academic medicine, but here's my list:

UCLA > UC Irvine > UC Davis > UCSD > UCSF

Based on location though, it would be:

UCSD > UC Irvine > UCLA > UCSF > UC Davis
wow my location preferences are exactly the same as yours too (disregarding any regional ties to family / relatives though)

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
wow my location preferences are exactly the same as yours too (disregarding any regional ties to family / relatives though)
Yeah, what can I say... I really like the beach and the whole relaxed SoCal vibe. :laugh:

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
UCSF without a doubt... Awesome location, insuperable academics, incredible research, etc. UCSF was by far my top choice when I applied. Shame they didn't like me!

For me, having a strong interest in research and academic medicine, my list would be as follows:

1. UCSf
2. UCLA/UCSD
3. UCD
4. UCI

UCLA and UCSD are tied because I've already been in SD for 7 years, so I'd like a change of scenery... If that were not the case, I think I'd go with SD for the plethora of research. LA loses a couple of points for problematic LA living (traffic, smog and such).

Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm kind of surprised that UCSF has this many votes compared to the other schools

Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So right when I just kind of decided on going to UCLA, I received a full tuition scholarship to UCSF (UCLA gave me about 8K/yr less). Now I don't know what to do again. Still so torn between these two schools ... ah May 15 is getting really close.

ilovebear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
wow...full tuition! congrats! i would def go to ucsf with a full tuition...no doubt. so jealous :p

neuronal

7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So right when I just kind of decided on going to UCLA, I received a full tuition scholarship to UCSF (UCLA gave me about 8K/yr less). Now I don't know what to do again. Still so torn between these two schools ... ah May 15 is getting really close.
wow... that's just pure amazing. congrats!!! :) I guess you'll be going to SF then? haha.

Although I have heard that you can call schools and bargain with them, telling them you received x amount of scholarship money from y school. I'm not sure how this would work though. In any case, what great opportunities you have before you! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.