1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pregnancy and Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by COMP Bound, Jul 18, 2001.

1. COMP Bound

COMP Bound Member
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tabiba

Tabiba New Member

Wow. I am totally new to these types of postings and am scared of accidentally posting to too many catagories - hopefully I am doing this correctly. I am new and read the rules when I signed up and the rules basically said BE NICE and I must say that those who informed you of the multiple postings problem did it RUDELY. Hello people your JOB as a doc is to be *empathetic* - where was your empathy? A mistake is a mistake and who cares? This is the internet people not life and death! If it is not something that is going to flash in front of your eye the moment before you die as being significant, then it really does not matter - breath and let it go!

Now RE: pregnancy and med school. This is something I am wondering about too. My school does allow deceleration of the first 2 years (making them 3) but the last 2 clinical yrs are not flexable. I know someone who decelerated so that she could *try* to get pregnant but then she failed to get pregnant the first yr. - so to me she wasted that decelerated time. I made it through my first yr and am going to try to get pregnant this fall w/ the understanding that if I face complications I can decelerate and make my M2 yr last for 2 yrs - but I will not decelerate unless I have to. My husband will be working full time so daycare is going to need to be addressed and I am already looking into that. If life were to go according to my plan (ha!) I would like to have 2 children by the time I graduate. If I hurt anyone accidemically it will only be myself; whereas, in residency I feel like if I have complications in my pregnancy and/or delivery I might inadvertantly hurt my fellow residents by a prolonged abcence. Being pregnant in residency would mean saying things like, "I can't see this pt w/ chicken pox b/c I am pregnant and that dz could hurt the baby" and not being able to be in the room when x-rays are taken etc. I will feel much LESS guilty saying these things as student than as a PAID resident who is not pulling her weight. It is too bad that I feel guilty at all, eh?
    I worry about things like the exhaustion of the first trimester and how will that affect my ability to study b/c I am not like some of my genius classmates that look at something once and master it forever.

BUT I figure I survived the first yr. and I WILL (God willing) make it through med school.

My sister pointed out to me that having children gives clarity and absolute reason/motivation. My godmother who had 5 children under the are of 9 while doing her doctorate (while her hubby was abroad) says: you will NEVER have enough time or enough money to have children and they are the BEST.

Besides
    1) whatever is supposed to happen is going to happen
    2) we are in the best hands - God's
    and
    3) we have faith
    ...so it is all going to be alright.

4. Tabiba

Tabiba New Member