Pregnancy during residency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss, please!

Anyone who has gone through this, when is the best time during residency? Any suggestions in terms of timing? Do you typically rearrange your schedule around the due date?

How hard is this really for IM residents? For those that have gone through a baby during residency, would you do it again? Did you wish you had done things differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Would depend a lot on the residency (how hard it would be). There are some IM residencies that are comparatively easy, and others that are still pretty ball-busting in terms of the rigor (though not like a brutal general surg residency or something). In the past, I would have said any time but intern year. With the new intern year work hours limits, I would say intern year might end up being the easiest year of your residency. I still wouldn't personally do it during intern year, b/c you are still "learning the ropes" so to speak. You should check into maternity leave policies before you make your rank list (if not already made/done). In my opinion, it's probably better to go to at least medium to large size residency, b/c if you're in a really small program I would think it would be harder to rearrange schedules and people may resent the pregnant resident. It didn't matter @my program, with 30+ people per year...having 1 out or even 2 didn't really matter much.