Pregnancy in PT school and/or clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jule

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year student and know the best answer is to ask profs in my program but i want to know if anyone knows of or has been pregnant during PT school and/or their clinicals? I am worried because I may be in the middle of an acute clinical at the end of my pregnancy and i'm not sure how that would work out. or even being in classes. please respond if you have any input

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have any personal experience, yet, but I also hope to be pregnant during my last year/clinical. The way I see it is there have been, and will be, many pregnant PTs. We are basically functioning as PTs during our clinicals, especially our 3rd year, so we could either be pregnant SPTs or wait and be pregnant PTs and I don't really see much of a difference. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think it will work out fine. I was extremely physically active during my first pregnancy - much more so than what PT school and clinicals have required me to be thus far. I was also in undergrad while pregnant and know many other women who have done the same, as well. Sorry I don't have any personal experience on this specific matter to share, but if nothing else you can know that you are not alone in your contemplation!

There is a 2nd year in my program who just finished her first clinical and she is pregnant although I can't remember when she's expecting, but she is Planning on taking a year off once she has the baby and then joining my class...

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a girl who got pregnant during the summer going into her second year. She was able to finish her first semester, but then left to finish her pregnancy and have the baby. She returned the next year and joined the class that was one year behind her class.

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for posting it. I'm still in the application phase but if I get accepted for the next cycle, I'll be 31 when I start school and almost 34 by the time I finish. Lately I'm wondering a lot about whether it's possible to succeed in clinicals while pregnant. It would be great if I could be pregnant during the 3rd year, take three months off and then dive into full-time career. It's so much to think about!