All Branch Topic (ABT) Pregnant at USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamyaw00

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my husband and I are thinking about starting a family soon. I’m about 2 years from graduating with my bachelors and I’m looking to go to USUHS. Would anything major happened if I got pregnant while at USUHS? I see they have day care on base so they’re prepared for people with families, but I was just wondering. What would be a not so bad time to have a child? (My husband wants his first by 23 which is next year and I want to be done having kids by 30) I’m 19 currently (turning 20 in April) and my husband is 21 (turns 22 in September)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Current MS1 here. The school goes out of its way to take care or pregnant students. We have a few pregnant classmates, and they are fully supported. If you have your baby while in preclerkship, you take that module at a different time. They try really hard to make it so you don’t have to decelerate. If you delivered while in clerkship, I’m not sure how it would work but I’m sure they’d work with you. They’re good about that.

Reactions: 1 user
if you have a child at USUHS, the military takes sole ownership of the child. They will train him or her as a single minded killing machine, and probably use them to execute a foreign leader, or send them on a solo mission to the Kessler belt, or maybe just make them a recruiter in Boise.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so my husband and I are thinking about starting a family soon. I’m about 2 years from graduating with my bachelors and I’m looking to go to USUHS. Would anything major happened if I got pregnant while at USUHS? I see they have day care on base so they’re prepared for people with families, but I was just wondering. What would be a not so bad time to have a child? (My husband wants his first by 23 which is next year and I want to be done having kids by 30) I’m 19 currently (turning 20 in April) and my husband is 21 (turns 22 in September)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ask about the waitlist at the Child Development Center. Ask about the waitlist for childcare under 6 months/2yrs/5yrs. Have more than one childcare back up plan even if your SO intends to stay at home.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask about the waitlist at the Child Development Center. Ask about the waitlist for childcare under 6 months/2yrs/5yrs. Have more than one childcare back up plan even if your SO intends to stay at home.

Agreed. The waitlist for the CDC is very long here, and childcare is super expensive.

Yeah the thing to remember with the CDC is that the waitlist is long and there are various priorities for who gets off first. Single parent or dual mil? Higher priority. Civilian spouse? Less priority. At my base i don’t know anyone who got of the waitlist with an infant who wasn’t on the first category.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the thing to remember with the CDC is that the waitlist is long and there are various priorities for who gets off first. Single parent or dual mil? Higher priority. Civilian spouse? Less priority. At my base i don’t know anyone who got of the waitlist with an infant who wasn’t on the first category.

We didn’t have too long a wait in Point Loma, but it definitely depends on the area. Good luck getting off in Bethesda unless you’re in the first category.

Actually, getting off the infant waitlist in Bethesda isn't too bad. We were military/civilian and got off the waitlist by about 8-10 weeks with both our kids born at Walter Reed. It's a whole different story for older kids, but infant is easier because you're only competing against other newborns and not all the younger kids already at the CDC aging up. You still want to get on the inactive (pre-birth) waitlist as soon as you find out you're pregnant (we did this the morning after the positive pregnancy test), make sure you keep your status updated/paperwork current during the pregnancy, and move to the active waitlist immediately after the birth (both kids were moved to active within 2 hours of being born via laptop in the recovery room).