Pregnant Father

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a question for you guys. For my first kids whole delivery experience I got to be at all the appointments and was there for the whole shebang. For my second kid I was practicing to have him/her near the end of my intern year. Do you know if programs will let you take all your vacation at bulk for an event like that? Do you know if programs have any flexibility for dads? Like if we were going to find out the sex of our kid and I couldn't get off? Anyone else have any experiences during this time? I am planning to go into EM so I am posting here.

Members don't see this ad.

As a new intern, being there for EVERY appointment is going to be tough... I think being there for many will be very doable. It might take some occasional switching to a crappy day to work etc (given up your Saturday off to be off Tuesday for an appointment).

The delivery and any bad complications should not be an issue.... Let your program know ASAP. If its your intern year, there may be some 'easier' rotations that are less of a big deal to miss and perhaps easier to makeup that you can schedule during that time accordingly. Also you can hopefully burn some vacation during that time You are entitled to Family Medical Leave, but that also means whatever you miss will have to be 'made up' at somepoint (end of residency). During my four years, I think everyone was able to burn vacation and easy months that were easy to make up at other times so that there was not any extension of residency....

Good luck... being nice to your peers from the start and being the first to 'step up' for other people will go a long ways also for them helping you out later...