Pregnant interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty3L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? I'm a little worried about the whole issue of having a child in medical school coming up in my interview since it will be kind of obvious, plus I have no idea what I'm going to wear!

Members don't see this ad.

im a guy, but dark colors could work to make it less obvious...btw congratulations and good luck!

Every school has a disclaimer about non discrimination. So, they CANNOT discriminate agains pregnant women. I hope, (probably in vein) that they are bound to them. Good luck on your interview! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine! I tell every medical school interview that I'm married with a son and they don't (seem to) care, and it's something we talk about for extended periods of time.

Having a family is very normal and it won't work against you. Just wear something comfortable because some interview days are really long and tiring.

Do what everyone else does and go out and buy yourself a good interview suit. The only difference is that you'll be buying in the maternity dept. (Thrift shops and consignment stores that carry children's clothing often carry maternity clothes too, or can direct you to a store that does.) I was lucky to have a friend in banking who had her babies 6 months ahead of me and passed along some great "hand-me-downs" that were very business-professional. Usually you'll find a skirt or slacks (with an inset for the tummy)with a long, loose jacket.

Napoleon4000 said:
Every school has a disclaimer about non discrimination. So, they CANNOT discriminate agains pregnant women. I hope, (probably in vein) that they are bound to them. Good luck on your interview! :)
While I would hope that discrimination wouldn't happen against a pregnant woman, the discrimination disclaimers that i have read usually say "race, religion, gender, veterans status, sexual orientation (some)" None have said pregnancy though. Seems like it isn't a protected class.. where is Law2Doc when we need him?

Flopotomist said:
While I would hope that discrimination wouldn't happen against a pregnant woman, the discrimination disclaimers that i have read usually say "race, religion, gender, veterans status, sexual orientation (some)" None have said pregnancy though. Seems like it isn't a protected class.. where is Law2Doc when we need him?
But ignoring all the legalese, doesn't simple common sense say not to discriminate? Be objective and see the applicant's credentials, experience, personality, and ambitions, but do not judge a person based on anything like that.

How hard is it for people to ignore social bias? All it takes is a little conscious effort.

Dallenoff said:
But ignoring all the legalese, doesn't simple common sense say not to discriminate? Be objective and see the applicant's credentials, experience, personality, and ambitions, but do not judge a person based on anything like that.

How hard is it for people to ignore social bias? All it takes is a little conscious effort.
Unfortunately, while simple common sense says not to discriminate, many mnay studies in many many fields show that people DO discriminate even when they think they do not.
Our unconscious biases are hard to overcome.

With something like preganacy, all you can do is go in proud and confident and let them all know you are capable and ready to be a mom and med student at the same time. I am sure they will all ask you about it...

Gook luck! Sounds like this is a REALLY exciting year for you.

Flopotomist said:

They won't be allowed to discriminate against pregnancy, I believe it constitutes a protected class along with the others you mentioned. And there are plenty of parents in med school these days. But whether or not it's a permissible line of interview questioning, you (OP) can expect a ton of questions about your support and family network and how you plan to manage this endeavor (since the topic will be out in the open), so be prepared to discuss it.

Flopotomist said:
Doesn't pregnancy & marital status fall under the title IX laws? Descriminating due to pregnancy could be construed as a kind of gender discrimination. I know that when I interview employees I am NOT allowed to inquire about marital status or whether or not they plan on starting a family. Just thinking out loud.

Coming back to clothing, I would wear nice slacks with a blouse. I was in the same situation just 3 months ago. My interview was a couple of days after my due date, and it couldn't be changed since I applied early decision (only one interview date). That's what I planned on wearing if still pregnant. Luckily, baby came 2 weeks early. Sleep deprivation was so brutal I don't know how I was able to talk coherently to my interviewers, and I won't even talk about engorgement, but I got in!

Ideally you would buy an interview suit, but how many times are you going to wear it? Even if you have several interviews, it will be hard to wear the same suit since your belly will take proportions you never imagined it could. If you're OBVIOUSLY pregnant, no one is going to hold against you the fact that you are not wearing a suit. As long as you look professional (like I said, black pants and a nice maternity blouse). You will save a few hundred dollars that you can spend at Babies R' Us instead! Some girls didn't wear a suit at my interview and they didn't even have the pregnancy excuse. As for me, I miraculously was able to fit in my suit just after giving birth, but boy it was tight.

There's a thread in the non-trad forum about this. You may want to look for it. You can PM me too if you want.

Good luck and congrats! You will have so much fun with your baby.

I interviewed at 35 and 38 weeks pregnant and wasn't asked any questions about it at all....but I volunteered info when it seemed appropriate. At the first interview my interviewer had both her children in medical school and we discussed childcare options in the area, good places for families to live, etc. I got in at the first place and am "competitive" at the second, so discrimination certainly isn't standard, although it probably depends on your interviewer. As for attire, I went to motherhood maternity and bought a two piece set (shirt and pants) and bought a large black blazer at Ross. I spent a total of about $45 and I think I looked professional enough. Huge, but professional. You'll be fine. Good luck!!!!!!! :luck:

I totally agree with Olydoc2b. Don't spend several hundred dollars on a suit. Just look professional. You can easily accomplish that for under $50 at Motherhood or even Old Navy.

And I agree with her too that you should volunteer info rather than not talk about your pregnancy. I wasn't asked any questions either, but I did talk about my baby. I think you're better off showing that you've thought greatly about how you'll deal with the balancing act, and talking about how much support you have, rather avoiding the subject altogether (since you said you'll be showing already). I even explained that I planned my pregnancy before medical school because I knew I would have more time to enjoy my new baby. I wanted to make sure my interviewers understood that I realize how much work medschool will be and how much time it will take away from my baby, but that I'm prepared for that and surrounded with a lot of supportive people.

Good luck to the OP. Olydoc2be, have you had your baby already? Congrats to both of you. And on another note, Baby Einstein videos are lifesavers if you want to have peaceful dinners...