Pregnant Men

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepymed

The white Hard24Get
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know how many of you read BBC... but I thought this would be an interesting article to share.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7330196.stm

Pregnant US man hails 'miracle'

A US man who is six months pregnant, 10 years after undergoing a sex change operation, has said he considers his unborn child a "miracle".

Thomas Beatie, 34, said it was his right to have a child. The medical procedures he underwent a decade ago did not affect his reproductive system.

His wife says she inseminated him using sperm from an anonymous donor. Their doctor says it is a normal pregnancy.

Mr Beatie told chat show host Oprah Winfrey he had always wanted a child.

"It's not a male or female desire to have a child," he said. "It's a human desire. I have a very stable male identity."

'Daddy's little princess'

Mr Beatie, of Bend, Oregon, had breast surgery to remove glands and flatten his chest after deciding to become a man 10 years ago.

This baby is totally healthy, this is what I consider a normal pregnancy
Dr Kimberly James
Mr Beatie's obstetrician

"I opted not to do anything with my reproductive organs because I wanted to have a child one day," a thinly bearded Mr Beatie told Oprah Winfrey.

"I didn't know how. It was just a dream."

He has been married for five years to wife Nancy, who also appeared on the show along with her two grown-up daughters from a previous marriage, Amber and Jen. They spoke of their admiration for their mother and Mr Beatie.

Mrs Beatie said the couple's roles would not change once the baby was born.

"He's going to be the father and I'm going to be the mother," she said.

They revealed Mr Beatie - a former Hawaiian beauty queen - had conceived by artificial insemination, carried out with a syringe by his wife in their home, with sperm purchased from a bank.

In their first TV interview, for The Oprah Winfrey Show and People magazine, the couple were shown at home in the room that will be the baby's nursery.

Viewers across the US on Thursday saw footage of Mr Beatie's ultrasound scan and heard a heartbeat.

He said: "I can't believe it. I can't believe she's inside me. We see her as our little miracle."

The baby would be "daddy's little princess", said Mr Beatie, who described himself as a tomboy growing up.

The couple say they had been refused medical assistance by eight different doctors, before finding one who was prepared to help with the pregnancy.

Mr Beatie's obstetrician, Dr Kimberly James, told Oprah Winfrey: "This baby is totally healthy. This is what I consider a normal pregnancy."

Members don't see this ad.

And something from today...

NZ man 'used hedgehog as weapon'

A man in New Zealand has been charged with using a hedgehog as a weapon, the New Zealand Herald has reported.

Police said William Singalargh, 27, had hurled the hedgehog about 5m (16ft) at a 15-year-old boy.

"It hit the victim in the leg, causing a large, red welt and several puncture marks," said Senior Sgt Bruce Jenkins, in the North Island town of Whakatane.

It was unclear whether the hedgehog was still alive when it was thrown, though it was dead when collected as evidence.

The police spokesman said the suspect was arrested "for assault with a weapon, namely the hedgehog."

Mr Singalargh is due to appear in court on 17 April. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison.

I am ashamed to say I saw about 20 mins of the Oprah show on this.

She was perplexed when the guy (girl?) started talking about his/her gentalia and how there was no operation down there. She just took Testoserone and now had a very long clitoris....it was funny seeing Oprah all giggly....

And she/he had his/her breasts cut off...

Its media hype, HE is a GIRL.....aside from the fact that her breasts were removed and she wears mens clothes... Its not a big deal and certainly is not a miracle....as Oprah was making it out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its media hype, HE is a GIRL.....aside from the fact that her breasts were removed and she wears mens clothes... Its not a big deal and certainly is not a miracle....as Oprah was making it out to be.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: no idea why it got so much airplay. The hedgehog missile is much more interesting :smuggrin:. BTW, should you use antibiotic prophylaxis?

And something from today...

NZ man 'used hedgehog as weapon'

A man in New Zealand has been charged with using a hedgehog as a weapon, the New Zealand Herald has reported.

Police said William Singalargh, 27, had hurled the hedgehog about 5m (16ft) at a 15-year-old boy.

"It hit the victim in the leg, causing a large, red welt and several puncture marks," said Senior Sgt Bruce Jenkins, in the North Island town of Whakatane.

It was unclear whether the hedgehog was still alive when it was thrown, though it was dead when collected as evidence.

The police spokesman said the suspect was arrested "for assault with a weapon, namely the hedgehog."

Mr Singalargh is due to appear in court on 17 April. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison.

I hope he's being charged with animal cruelty too!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to vote for the hedgehog missile as well.

the first time I saw this story on the news it grabbed my attention until I found out it was a transsexual...sort of. Not at all miraculous or even that interesting.

I thought a similar thing. "Someone with a uterus is having a baby? How brave!"
*cough*

The hedgehog story made me laugh, but poor hedgehog.

basically a women with a double mastectomy and a mustache....

it was really just the semantics of the thing that i found interesting

Yeah, he's got the reproductive system of a woman, because that's how he was born. Biologically, I suppose he's like 99.9% female. But he's not a woman - that's the biggest, and easiest, semantic/ philosophical mistake to make.

Identity is a very cool, and very confusing, area. It's definitely a niche in medicine today, and over time it'll become a more pervasive thing. We might as well wrap our heads around some of these concepts now, and save some trouble later on. I think it's a cool story for those reasons... the medicine of it turns out to be kind of a snooze.

Yeah, he's got the reproductive system of a woman, because that's how he was born. Biologically, I suppose he's like 99.9% female. But he's not a woman - that's the biggest, and easiest, semantic/ philosophical mistake to make.

No semantics. She has female reproductive parts. Therefore she is a woman. This is basic biology, and not subject to argument. The fact that the press called her a "man" is deceptive and inaccurate.

No semantics. She has female reproductive parts. Therefore she is a woman. This is basic biology, and not subject to argument. The fact that the press called her a "man" is deceptive and inaccurate.

True, but it is still a unique situation, mainly in how they are planning on raising the kid. Prob one of the few people out there who will be told that their "father" is the one who gave birth to them, and their "mother" didn't. It's noteworthy at least in the family dynamic.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but it is still a unique situation, mainly in how they are planning on raising the kid. Prob one of the few people out there who will be told that their "father" is the one who gave birth to them, and their "mother" didn't. It's noteworthy at least in the family dynamic.

Interesting point. I didn't think of this. When the "mother" is required to be there is the father figure/maternal mother going to show up? She's going to legally be his mother, but playing the role of the father. Will she identify herself as the child's mother?

The argument is if, and to what extent, gender identity is the exact same thing as biology, and whether maybe it might be more. Or, less.

There are whole university departments based on these kinds of questions. They definitely do exist. Whether and how much they matter in your world, or mine, they're kind of a big deal for this patient, so I think they're relevant. And it's just my opinion, but I don't think the press is being deceptive to call the patient a man. I don't think the patient is being deceptive to call himself a man. I do realize this isn't something everybody sees the same way.

But I am totally with you on the biology part. According to some, I could have learned more in anatomy, but I did learn a couple of things. :laugh:

talk radio put this best when they said its just the media hijacking a story and making it what they want.

Agreed :thumbup:

Do an epithelial smear for chromosomes - does this "man" have XY or XX?

XX = woman.

No further argument required.

All the rest of the changes are just post-production modding :) Doesn't change a corvair into a corvette, won't change this woman into a man.

I'm just curious -- who here has seen and cared for a transgender patient? I know it's a small minority for a patient population, but these folks have interesting medical and psychosocial issues that are basically unique.

The part I can't wrap my head around is are the "Mr." and Missus legally married? What are the rules around transgender people and marriage? It seems like a loophole in gay marriage...

But enough of that.

What about that poor hedgehog??? I've spent time with hedgies and they are absolutely adorable. It saddens me that a poor creature had to die. (sniff)

I just keep thinking of that little blue spiky hedgehog, and the game that ate my summer of 1993. There were times I wished ill on that sucker, for sure.

The part I can't wrap my head around is are the "Mr." and Missus legally married? What are the rules around transgender people and marriage? It seems like a loophole in gay marriage...

He/She is technically not transgender, as it still has female reproductive organs. Simply taking hormones does not make you transgender.

I'm just curious -- who here has seen and cared for a transgender patient? I know it's a small minority for a patient population, but these folks have interesting medical and psychosocial issues that are basically unique.

I have taken care of a pre-surgical transgendered male (had reassignment surgery planned for 2 months from date of my meeting him). "Issues" does not even begin to scratch the surface, my friend.

Desperately wanting a surgeon to take a scalpel to your beans and frank....I would say there are some issues brewing.

they are legally married because he is legally a male. i'm ashamed to admit i saw the whole episode of oprah because my friend taped it. it was just stupid- all these housewives gasping at the idea and oprah acting all fake sympathetic. you should see the episode in HD cuz oprah's eyes make her look totally baked.

i have a friend who is transgendered, male to female, pre-op but on hormones. her driver's license says female and she transitioned successfully at her work. it's been a tough road for her and i support her decision, although i must admit she's quick to assume she's being discriminated against and is obsessed (pretty much all she will talk about) with passing. i have also had to defend certain normal medical practices which she thought were inappropriate, such as an endocrinologist asking about her libido. she thought the endo was being discriminatory, and i explained that endocrinologists deal with hormonal issues, and hormones= sex, etc etc. she dresses quite a bit more tarty than most biological girls would, which itself is an interesting aspect of transgenderism. some people make the argument that male-to-female transgendered people, are essentially autogynephilists- ie, they are aroused by seeing and imagining themselves as females. but maybe they're just like most girls were at ages 12-20: wearing bright lipstick and hooker boots because they're still learning what it means for them to be female.

ok enough of that! now if a man gets pregnant with a hedgehog, that's news.

I just keep thinking of that little blue spiky hedgehog, and the game that ate my summer of 1993. There were times I wished ill on that sucker, for sure.

classicsonic.jpg

Definitely - I think he ate two summers and half a school year for me :smuggrin:

What about that poor hedgehog??? I've spent time with hedgies and they are absolutely adorable. It saddens me that a poor creature had to die. (sniff)

so cute!
Hedgehog_450x513.jpg

Try this image of a hedgehog...

hedgehog-0009.jpg

I do think they are cute. :D

Pregnant US man hails 'miracle'

A US man who is six months pregnant, 10 years after undergoing a sex change operation, has said he considers his unborn child a "miracle".

Thomas Beatie, 34, said it was his right to have a child. The medical procedures he underwent a decade ago did not affect his reproductive system.

His wife says she inseminated him using sperm from an anonymous donor. Their doctor says it is a normal pregnancy.

Mr Beatie told chat show host Oprah Winfrey he had always wanted a child.

"It's not a male or female desire to have a child," he said. "It's a human desire. I have a very stable male identity."

This baby is totally healthy, this is what I consider a normal pregnancy
Dr Kimberly James
Mr Beatie's obstetrician

1. He is a she; there is no miracle here.
2. His "right" to have a child? What about the child's "right" to a shot at a normal life?
3. Sperm from a anonymous donor...how very loving and natural.
4. Stable male identity? Is there anything stable here?
5. What would Dr. James consider abnormal if not this whole situation?

I don't see why we all continue to define deviancy down as we, as physicians, create more problems with blurring the lines between nature and manmade.

Let the flaming begin.

1. He is a she; there is no miracle here.
2. His "right" to have a child? What about the child's "right" to a shot at a normal life?
3. Sperm from a anonymous donor...how very loving and natural.
4. Stable male identity? Is there anything stable here?
5. What would Dr. James consider abnormal if not this whole situation?

I don't see why we all continue to define deviancy down as we, as physicians, create more problems with blurring the lines between nature and manmade.

Let the flaming begin.

Can I add one?

6. If he were to be placed in prison, it would be a womans correctional facility.

Agreed :thumbup:

Do an epithelial smear for chromosomes - does this "man" have XY or XX?

XX = woman.

No further argument required.

All the rest of the changes are just post-production modding :) Doesn't change a corvair into a corvette, won't change this woman into a man.

Clearly you never studied androgen insensitivity syndrome at your medical school. Sexual identity is not quite that simple.

The argument is if, and to what extent, gender identity is the exact same thing as biology, and whether maybe it might be more. Or, less.

There are whole university departments based on these kinds of questions. They definitely do exist.

The way I learned it: "sex" is a biologically determined category; "gender" is a cultural construct. The terms "male" and "female" apply to sex; "man" and "woman" and "masculine" and "feminine" apply to gender.

BTW, Oprah did a show several months ago on people with various transgender issues, incl. androgen insensitivity (sorry if someone has already mentioned this, didn't read the whole thread).

Poor hedgehog...I hope it was already dead when it was thrown.

Clearly you never studied androgen insensitivity syndrome at your medical school. Sexual identity is not quite that simple.

Actually, it is just that simple. AIS is an exception to the rule, but the rule stands. Try again.

I'm rotating through a jail right now and we had a guy on hormone therapy. He had boobs so they put him in isolation. Prisoners like boobs....XX=women's prison

XY=male prison in isolation