Pregnant or having a baby or tot in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatiana3325

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has some feedback about being pregnant and/or having a baby or toddler or preschooler while in med school.

Would this destroy my life or is it possible to handle? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking about it or do you already have a baby? I have a 1 year old and have a hard time imagining having a small baby in med school where I think people have said it's equivalent to like 30 units or so. I'm sure it depends a lot on the person and their support system. A friend of mine didn't even want to take time off work when she had a baby, but I felt totally out of commission for like a year with everything.

Definitely possible to handle, will not ruin your life.
I highly recommend having a partner if you attempt this. One that makes a lot of $$

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been around 5 girls in my class who have had a kid throughout the first 3 years and at least 2 more are are pregnant. It's doable, especially if you have a support system around.

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted so far. So encouraging and a total relief.

Last edited:
I'm an MS-1. My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and my son is almost 8 months (he was born 3 days after my gross anatomy final). It's hard, sometimes really hard (one or the other likes to be sick and have to stay home from daycare on my reading days before finals) but doable. Having family/partner support is completely essential, IMO.

I had a baby 4th year. Worked out great! Given the "flex time" our school allows us and some independent study electives I was able to be home with baby for 11 weeks. Never had to ask for a single accomodation from admin. The worst part was morning sickness during 3rd year IM rotation!

Bump. I'm also considering getting pregnant next. And 2013 also will be my first year of medical school.

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

Yeah, is this something that's possible when it is your FIRST child in med school? I've asked before, my eggs aren't getting any younger...

Bioteach, at least it wasn't surgery!!!

I'm sure it could be. I'm glad we had our first baby BEFORE medical school, but now she's 3 and yeah...

There is a married couple of students a year ahead of me that had their daughter at the very end of first year. They seem to be doing alright. I can't imagine my husband being in medical school with me and juggling two kids.

Yep, plenty of people do it. Be sure to check out your school's policy on time off and try to plan accordingly if you can. You don't want to end up repeating an entire year because you delivered during the one week in which no time off is allowed, no exceptions.

Just finished first year, we've had 4 babies born to our class so far this year (1 set of twins!!!), and lots more of us already had kiddos going into school. It is totally doable, but like Geekchick I would highly recommend a strong support/family system nearby. Good luck!