Tatiana3325

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 4, 2012
Winter of our discontent
Status
Pre-Medical
Just wondering if anyone has some feedback about being pregnant and/or having a baby or toddler or preschooler while in med school.

Would this destroy my life or is it possible to handle? Thanks!

Apr 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you thinking about it or do you already have a baby? I have a 1 year old and have a hard time imagining having a small baby in med school where I think people have said it's equivalent to like 30 units or so. I'm sure it depends a lot on the person and their support system. A friend of mine didn't even want to take time off work when she had a baby, but I felt totally out of commission for like a year with everything.

ejw5075

Smile.
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Definitely possible to handle, will not ruin your life.
I highly recommend having a partner if you attempt this. One that makes a lot of $$

genswim24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
planet hoth
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There have been around 5 girls in my class who have had a kid throughout the first 3 years and at least 2 more are are pregnant. It's doable, especially if you have a support system around.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm an MS-1. My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and my son is almost 8 months (he was born 3 days after my gross anatomy final). It's hard, sometimes really hard (one or the other likes to be sick and have to stay home from daycare on my reading days before finals) but doable. Having family/partner support is completely essential, IMO.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I had a baby 4th year. Worked out great! Given the "flex time" our school allows us and some independent study electives I was able to be home with baby for 11 weeks. Never had to ask for a single accomodation from admin. The worst part was morning sickness during 3rd year IM rotation!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Would this destroy my life or is it possible to handle? ...!
as with most obstacles during med school, the answer to this is going to depend a lot on your support system/level of family help.

Mar 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Bump. I'm also considering getting pregnant next. And 2013 also will be my first year of medical school.

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, is this something that's possible when it is your FIRST child in med school? I've asked before, my eggs aren't getting any younger...

Bioteach, at least it wasn't surgery!!!

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm sure it could be. I'm glad we had our first baby BEFORE medical school, but now she's 3 and yeah...

There is a married couple of students a year ahead of me that had their daughter at the very end of first year. They seem to be doing alright. I can't imagine my husband being in medical school with me and juggling two kids.

Apr 22, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Yep, plenty of people do it. Be sure to check out your school's policy on time off and try to plan accordingly if you can. You don't want to end up repeating an entire year because you delivered during the one week in which no time off is allowed, no exceptions.

teddy bear doc

Expert plush toy surgeon
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Just finished first year, we've had 4 babies born to our class so far this year (1 set of twins!!!), and lots more of us already had kiddos going into school. It is totally doable, but like Geekchick I would highly recommend a strong support/family system nearby. Good luck!