Quantcast

prelim IM vs categorical for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molten

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Where are my chances less bleak?

IM prelim with IM indicated as the PGY-2 specialty of interest or IM categorical, both of course, at bottom tier places.

IMG; didn't match last year. Need visa.

Thanks.

molten

Reaction score
Another question.

As per Frieda, all out of the match programs in Surgery are military/naval. So basically, there are no prematch offering surgery (prelim) programs for IMGs (requiring a visa)...is that right? Thanks.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is basically correct. If a program puts it's Categorical spots in the match, they must put their prelim spots in the match also -- that's because Cat and Prelim are considered two different tracks in the same program, and the "all in" is enforced at the program level.

EDIT: Actually, I now think I'm completely wrong about that. Prelim and Cat spots are considered the same program by ERAS (so it usually is the same cost to apply to both) but the NRMP sees them as totally different matches. So, a program could put Cat in the match, and keep prelim out. Not 100% certain, since I'm all in.

Last edited:

Sir Gillies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is basically correct. If a program puts it's Categorical spots in the match, they must put their prelim spots in the match also -- that's because Cat and Prelim are considered two different tracks in the same program, and the "all in" is enforced at the program level.

Following on to your statement. If I have applied to both prelim and categorical at the same program, would they send an invite specifying whether I'm interviewing for prelim, categorical or both?

Thanks a lot for your help.