Prelim med/surg in Boston, NY, SF?? and MORE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to spend a yr in either Boston NY or SF (who doesn't??? LOL) during my PGY1 year, and before I start applying to every TY, Prelim Med & Prelim Surg programs in these cities (50+), it'd be awesome to hear about some of the "must apply" programs (cush, happy residents, etc) and the ones to avoid, even though I realize beggars can't be choosers. I don't mind up to 30 miles away from the city limits.

Also, in terms of # of hrs worked in prelim IM vs surg, what are we talking about exactly? and IMHO prelim surg interns may spend more time (80 hrs/wk) in the hospital, but their work seem easier b/c they are dealing w/ post-op pts and their usual pain/diet/crap issues.

BTW, is it true that it is far easier to get a prelim surg spot at MGH rather than a TY spot at some community program???????:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
BTW, is it true that it is far easier to get a prelim surg spot at MGH rather than a TY spot at some community program???????:eek:

Yes. Prelim and TY spots at cushy community programs in desired locations are extremely competitive.

agree with the above post.

LOL @ the OP thinking there is a "cush" prelim surgery spot in NYC. Maybe your sense of "cush" is slightly different from mine, or possibly you are massochistic but such spots dont exist. I'm sure there are plenty of prelim surgery spots in NYC, where the 80 hour work week is "followed loosely" wink wink ;)

IMO with the time you'll have free in NYC doing prelim surg, you might as well live in North Dakota; at least the cost of living is lower.