dana1976

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
I was wondering if you can do a prelim in peds instead of medicine or surgery and would programs look upon this less favorably? Thanks!

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
http://www.abop.org/certification/certreq.html

The American Board of Ophthalmology said:
The PG-1 year must be comprised of training in which the resident is primarily responsible for patient care in fields such as internal medicine, neurology, pediatrics, surgery, family practice, or emergency medicine. As a minimum, six months of this year must consist of a broad experience in direct patient care.

mdkurt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
dana1976 said:
I was wondering if you can do a prelim in peds instead of medicine or surgery and would programs look upon this less favorably? Thanks!
To be safe, contact the board directly.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
mdkurt said:
To be safe, contact the board directly.
mdkurt, that was taken directly from the board's website.

mdkurt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Andrew_Doan said:
mdkurt, that was taken directly from the board's website.
I don't doubt it, but the board can be a little testy. Rather than get caught up in a battle over wording after the fact, I'd recommend clarifying that it's OK that ALL the months of your internship can come from peds and not just one or two. In other words, I'd want to be sure that the statement you quoted wasn't intended for those doing a transitional year.

JMK2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I met a resident at one of my interviews who had done her prelim year in Peds, so I think it's possible.