prelim reapplying PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverines1927

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm a prelim surgery intern who will be applying to the match again for general surgery. I have a couple quick questions about writing my PS for this upcoming match cycle.

1) Is it necessary to re-write my PS from last year? Common sense tells me I should, but curious if it's necessary or not especially as I'm an absurdly slow writer and don't want to waste time with a rewrite when I'll be super busy with work and trying to get new LOR's.

2) If I do, should I focus again on why I want to do surgery or would I be better served to talk about why I didn't match last year (low STEP 1 score), how I've improved as a student since taking STEP1 (STEP 2 was significantly better) and explain how I'm taking this experience of failing to match/having to do a prelim year as a positive experience (overcoming adversity, etc.)

Really appreciate any advice and insights.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

I'm a prelim surgery intern who will be applying to the match again for general surgery. I have a couple quick questions about writing my PS for this upcoming match cycle.

1) Is it necessary to re-write my PS from last year? Common sense tells me I should, but curious if it's necessary or not especially as I'm an absurdly slow writer and don't want to waste time with a rewrite when I'll be super busy with work and trying to get new LOR's.

2) If I do, should I focus again on why I want to do surgery or would I be better served to talk about why I didn't match last year (low STEP 1 score), how I've improved as a student since taking STEP1 (STEP 2 was significantly better) and explain how I'm taking this experience of failing to match/having to do a prelim year as a positive experience (overcoming adversity, etc.)

Really appreciate any advice and insights.

Thanks guys
Hey! I’m in the same boat and will be rewriting mine to focus on how I’m still loving surgery throughout my intern year, how I’ll be a better resident because of it etc...

I don’t really have a reason (that I can think of) as to why I didn’t match like a low step 1 but I don’t think it would hurt to mention that? I think they’ll be mostly concerned about why we’re better applicants this year (we’ll have done an intern year already).

Status
Not open for further replies.