Prelim spots last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere to find out where the unfilled non-designated prelim spots were last year to gauge what type of programs had unfilled positions. Are they mainly community based programs? Or do the more higher tiered programs also have unfilled prelim spots available after the match? Any insight would be great. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Cox,
I was able to find the numbers, such as there being around 400 open prelim positions, but haven't been able to find the actual programs that had open spots from last year. Maybe I just didn't use the correct search terms, but do you happen to have a link to the data? I'm really more interested in which programs rather than the number of open spots in total. As always thanks in advance for your ever pervasive knowledge. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
merlin said:
Dr. Cox,
I was able to find the numbers, such as there being around 400 open prelim positions, but haven't been able to find the actual programs that had open spots from last year. Maybe I just didn't use the correct search terms, but do you happen to have a link to the data? I'm really more interested in which programs rather than the number of open spots in total. As always thanks in advance for your ever pervasive knowledge. Cheers.

I can't help you as far as specific programs, but in our student affairs office I got this book that did list all residencies and all spots. For the most part, prelim-surg positions tend to go unmatched at nearly every program across the country. This is because most programs don't even interview or make rank list for non-desig prelim spots. For example, programs such as UCSF, Oregon, UW, New York Programs, etc had unfilled prelim (not categorical) spots. Hope this helped any.

After all that, I guess I just wasn't being creative. Here is the link to open spots from last year if anyone is interested...like myself.

http://www.imgresidency.com/txtlist.txt

Actually, on second thought, this list cannot be accurate as it seems every big program essentially didn't fill any prelim surg positions. How would these hospitals run if they didn't fill these prelim positions. Can't be...

merlin said:
After all that, I guess I just wasn't being creative. Here is the link to open spots from last year if anyone is interested...like myself.

Actually, on second thought, this list cannot be accurate as it seems every big program essentially didn't fill any prelim surg positions. How would these hospitals run if they didn't fill these prelim positions. Can't be...

I'm pretty sure those numbers are correct. I think most prelim positions aren't filled by people who match into them, but by people who scramble into them. These numbers are pre-scramble.

yep, realized that right after I posted my extra comment...but that is an interesting observation though that most people scramble into good prelim spots...

merlin said:

Very useful data. I hope to find this next year before I have to match. Thank you for the posting.

According to First Aid for the Match, it says that this data is available to the students who are scrambling. Apparently, it can be found within a pamphlet which is passed from the student affairs office to those students who are scrambling. I think I remember reading that it is unavailable directly from the Match.

My recollection from last year was that although there were a couple hundred available prelim spots, all but a dozen or so were filled in the scramble.

merlin said:

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. Thanks. :thumbup: