SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Prelim Surgery? What's the deal with prelim surgery.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jimjones, Jan 16, 2002.

1. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this. I understand that categorical is more desirable, and you are firmly in the 5 year gen surg residency. But what about prelim? Is it just for surgical specialties that require a preliminary year such as neuro, ent, etc? But do you match at the same time for these as when you do for the prelim year??? Someone please clear this up for me.... thanks.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    A preliminary program usually entails just the internship year (PGY1), and residents in a preliminary program (whether in Surgery or Medicine) already have a definite plan for their PGY2 year. These residents often apply and match to their PGY2 spot and the prelim spot at the same time.

There are others who enter prelim programs, most often surgery, with the hope of reapplying to that same program or another with an additional year to tack onto their application. This sometimes helps, though no one can tell me how well.