Prelim Surgery Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugababe81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've read some reviews on what a Prelim Surg year is like but if anyone has either done one or knows what it's like, I'd appreciate any replies. I.e. Do they follow the 80 hr work-week? Are we expected to perform many procedures? The usual call system? Is there room for teaching at all? What is my avg day like? Do they treat Prelim interns different than the Categorical ones?

Thanks so much! My prelim is along the East Coast and I am SCARED!

Members don't see this ad.

sugababe81 said:
Hi guys

I've read some reviews on what a Prelim Surg year is like but if anyone has either done one or knows what it's like, I'd appreciate any replies. I.e. Do they follow the 80 hr work-week? Are we expected to perform many procedures? The usual call system? Is there room for teaching at all? What is my avg day like? Do they treat Prelim interns different than the Categorical ones?

Thanks so much! My prelim is along the East Coast and I am SCARED!

It varies tremendously between and within programs. Your year could be anything. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. :)

Pilot Doc said:
It varies tremendously between and within programs. Your year could be anything. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. :)

Have a quick question......I'm looking for a great book to use and study from whilst I'm a prelim intern (in surgery)....Obviously for knowledge and for the ABSITE.

Zeion said:
Have a quick question......I'm looking for a great book to use and study from whilst I'm a prelim intern (in surgery)....Obviously for knowledge and for the ABSITE.

I just bought "advanced surgical recall." the reviews on it are great.