1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

prelim Surgery

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by modiapar, Mar 7, 2007.

1. modiapar

Medical Student
    Hello everyone,

I only had a few iv during the season and I am preparing to scramble. I had applied to IM and Peds. In case I scramble into a prelimnary surgery position and then apply for residency the next year in IM, will my 1 yr surgery experience be considered as a handicap?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I don't know how it would be perceived, but you'll definitely get no credit toward either residency, and will have to repeat intern year.

4. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's complicated.

First, I agree with the above poster that you will get no credit towards IM for your surgical year, unless you do a rotation that is identical to one that an IM resident would do (like the ED, or ICU), and then get get up to 3 months credit IF your new PD petitions the ABIM for the credit. Bottom line, plan on repeating your intern year completely.

Second, remember that you will be interviewing in the match in January at the latest, so you will only have 6 months of experience so far. Getting LOR's early in an internship can be difficult, esp if you get early interviews in November.

Third, remember that you will likely need to use vacation time to interview. It's unlikely that your surgical program will give you time off to go on a bunch of interviews, although if you are trying to get a spot in the scramble you might want to ask. Many programs have 3-4 weeks of vacation -- not a lot of time, and tough to take all at once. Of course, sometimes you can arrange close interviews on a weekend or a Monday or Friday, find someone to cover for you, and make it work. Also remember that there may be others in your program with the same plan -- this can work both for you and against you -- chances are you can work out coverage for each other, but also will all be looking for similar time off.

From a "quality" standpoint, I expect 4-6 months of surgical internship with good letters would work in your favor.

From a financial standpoint (for the residency), it doesn't matter. Medicare helps fund residency programs. When you start training in a surgical program, your "funding clock" is set at 5 years of total funding (the minimum training for surgery), so you will still have 4 years of funding left for IM (of which you will only need 3).

5. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Correct me if I am wrong but, my understanding is that the clock does not start ticking for prelim years... they work outside the funding clock. You dont start in the clock till you are in a catagorical program.

6. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, I think you are correct about that. In that case, there may be a funding issue, although most GME offices don't worry much about that. Thanks for the correction.