Prelim to categorical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fanconi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A hypothetical situation:

Dr. X starts her medicine prelim year at some nice university-based program. After a few months of questioning how she could best utilize her talents as well as stay challenged and stimulated by her career choice, Dr. X decides to remain in internal medicine.

Which is more likely? :confused:

Dr. X's prelim program will find a categorical spot for her, and she can continue her residency at the same program.

Dr. X will have to find another residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question.

In surgery, alot of people use the prelim jobs to springboard into a categorical position. One PD I know didn't like to take prelims whose only goal was to continue on in the same program since this made for a very malignant competitive cutthroat environment. Imagine 5 colleagues all going for 1 spot? Plus to only promote from the prelim year makes a program look weak.

If the situation is one where there is uncertainty over your career choice or a need to be at a particular program then I would go for it. however going prelim exposes you to being in the spotlight for the whole year- worrying about screwing up and loosing your spot.

I guess in the end every program is different and each program director has his/her own view on that matter. Certainly bring up at your interviews though. Remember that good people will always have a job.!

If Dr. X finds another Internal Residency Program, would she have to repeat her 1st year since it is a categorical postion? Or would she start at year 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
If Dr. X finds another Internal Residency Program, would she have to repeat her 1st year since it is a categorical postion? Or would she start at year 2?

She would go into IM year 2. BUT, if she does not stay at her home residency, it will be more likely that she'll end up at a "non-lateral" program.