prelim to PGY2 medicine? hard to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to match radiology with board scores that are a stretch. I am an osteopathic student to add to the insult. With 250k of loans hanging over my head I don't want to waste a single year.

I was thinking that instead of a transitional year or osteopathic internship which gets me absolutely no where I'd do a prelim year of medicine...

my question is (in general terms of most programs) how hard is it to slide from a prelim year of medicine to continue on as a second year and finish up.

If I don't get rads the first time I want to skip one app cycle, finish up medicine and apply during my PGY3 year of medicine. That way if I don't get it a second time at least I'll have something to show for my three years of hard work right?

hard to do or unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

It may be hard to do depending on your circumstances. When you are applying for your prelim year, I would be upfront w/ the PD about your desire to possibly go from prelim to categorical.

Since IM programs tend to be quite large, there's always a decent chance that someone will drop/change fields/transfer thereby leaving an open slot for you. However, you may have to move to another program to continue on as a PGY-2.