Prelim vs Categorical Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1stant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an IMG applying for surgery this year:

I have a rather "FAQ" that I still have'nt got a clear answer to: should I apply for categorical surgery programs (to secure a long term program), or prelim surgery programs (to increase my chances) or both?

and does the answer apply to all the programs? or to high IMG acceptance rate programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

both
high img
I appreciate your response.

I have came across a source that said, applying to both categorical and prelim will lead the Program directos to mistakenly belive that you are not a serious candidate, and who just wants to secure a position without solid future goals.

I actually agree with you, but I don't have a strong reason behind it, other that the fact that I just need to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have the experience of a few hospitals, but I really dont see the point of a prelim surg year for the vast majority of people. I see it as a dead end position for the failures, nothing more. I would bet a large chunk of change that none of the prelims at my hospital will be here next year. I feel terrible for them.

I have came across a source that said, applying to both categorical and prelim will lead the Program directos to mistakenly belive that you are not a serious candidate, and who just wants to secure a position without solid future goals.

I actually agree with you, but I don't have a strong reason behind it, other that the fact that I just need to match.

Programs won't care that you're applying to prelim spots as a backup plan. Why would that make you seem less serious? You want to be a surgeon at any cost, even if it means going through the uncertainty that comes with prelim

Reactions: 2 users

I posted a thread in the surgery application forum with the exact same question. The thread has 0 replies. I suspect since members seldom visit that section.

I got feedback from residents/attendings and majority said its fine to apply to prelim and categorical. Most PDs know prelim is used as a "foot in the door" opportunity for IMGs. Categorical is extremely difficult for IMGs. Goodluck

I only have the experience of a few hospitals, but I really dont see the point of a prelim surg year for the vast majority of people. I see it as a dead end position for the failures, nothing more. I would bet a large chunk of change that none of the prelims at my hospital will be here next year. I feel terrible for them.

My home program isn't particularly competitive, but I believe they kept 2 of the prelims as categoricals last year (definitely 1)

Cheap labor for programs and gives hope to people. I know some people at my school that were accepted into categorical spots

My home program isn't particularly competitive, but I believe they kept 2 of the prelims as categoricals last year (definitely 1)

Cheap labor for programs and gives hope to people. I know some people at my school that were accepted into categorical spots

Well, I guess YMMV then. I know my program hasnt taken a prelim in the last 6 years and usually have ~8/yr. I think its a pretty well regarded gen surg program though I guess.

Well, I guess YMMV then. I know my program hasnt taken a prelim in the last 6 years and usually have ~8/yr. I think its a pretty well regarded gen surg program though I guess.

I think it depended a lot on whether current residents decided to take time to do research for fellowship

I'll apply to both and I will use this line to use in my interviews:
I want to be a surgeon at any cost, even if it means going through the uncertainty that comes with prelim

My gratitude..