Prelim year in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irrka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might need to scramble into a prelim year after the match, so I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback about the programs there. I was kind of hoping to find a place that would actually let you do stuff during the intern year as opposed to only manning the floors. I'm applying for emergency, so I know next to nothing about the surgery programs in ny. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

irrka said:
I might need to scramble into a prelim year after the match, so I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback about the programs there. I was kind of hoping to find a place that would actually let you do stuff during the intern year as opposed to only manning the floors. I'm applying for emergency, so I know next to nothing about the surgery programs in ny. Thanks!

I'm currently an intern in surgery at BI (going into anesthesia). This has got to be one of the best surgery prelim spots in the country. Great location - downtown right on the border of east village and gramercy. Great staff - some of the most approachable and non-malignant attendings I've ever seen in this specialty. Great hours (for surgery). The only time I've come close to going over hours is on my SICU rotation. Mostly it's 6 to 5-6, sometimes 7. Depending on what service you're on and what the census is like, I've been home as early as 3 (!) Call is 4-6/month, usually 5. Great procedures - I've logged probably 80 cases, with 4 months of general surgery rotations left to go. We have an ambulatory rotation, where you do nothing but show up to the or at our surgicenter, operate all day, and go home by 4 or 5. Other nice thing - the intern year is about 6-7 months of general surgery, with rotations (it varies a little which you get) in ENT, urology, sicu, ambulatory, er, anesthesia. I'm happy to answer any questions about the program, but it's a great place to do a prelim