1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Prelim years in NYC

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by pikachu, Apr 29, 2004.

1. pikachu

pikachu Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Hi -
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has done a prelim year in medicine in New York City (especially Manhattan). Which hospitals have good programs? Which ones would you stay away from and why? And how is the housing?
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. banner

banner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Only two good prelims in Manhattan:
    Lenox Hill
    St. Vincent's for Transitional
    Neither really has housing for prelims.

There are no other good prelims in Manhattan.
    SOme people say Cabrini, but its really a lousy program if you ask the actual interns. It does have subsidized housing.

Could do better at Winthrop (long island), LIJ (long island), and NJ (Atlantic Health System Transitional year).

For me, good prelims = easy as possible.

4. drvlad2004

drvlad2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Winthrop is consider one of the most cush and, of course, most competitive prelim medicine programs in the country. They have very cheap subsidized housing ($400-500/month) and the railroad literally next to the hospital if you want to go into Manhattan. The hospital is very organized, unlike many NYC hospitals, with very little scutwork. Everyone that I have known to do prelim year at Winthrop loved how cush it truly was.