PRELIMINARY SCORES OCTOBER/NOVEMBER PCAT ~*OFFICIAL THREAD*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow PCAT test takers!!!!! Let's create this thread for the October/November preliminary scores!!!

Please feel free to vent about the exam, and also include your score breakdown with percentile rankings and the testing material you used!! :)

Let's end it strong everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good score man!
I have my exam today at 12pm...been studying to hit that 90%ile.
Here we go...
how did your exam go? what advice could you give? taking it thurs =/ sooooo nervous. Is this a retake or first time? if retake, can you compare the diff and howd you prepare? so many questions... sorry! hope you did well!

Wow! Great scores! May I ask what did you use to study for the PCAT? How was the math and chemistry portion?

Sure I would love to share my experience with all of you. First I want to make it clear that I am not showing off or being arrogant anyway, just give a accurate, objective description of my background and how I prepared.

My background: I already had a chemistry master degree and worked for several years in China. Couple of years ago I moved to US with my family,and I found it was impossible to find a decent chemistry job without an advanced American chemistry degree. Yes, maybe I can find some QA job for $15/hr, but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? After talking with someone already in graduate school majoring in chemistry (Ivy league), I felt it won't be easy even with a chemistry Ph.D. degree. Therefore I decided to have a career switch. I choose Pharmacy because the promising job market future, and my chemistry background would still be helpful.

Therefore I really have nothing to say about how to prepare for chemistry. Everything is so easy for me, I hope this is not offending anyone. Since I had a master degree and read lots of English chemistry papers for my research, chemistry English is not a problem for me either. I just went over the Collins, and of course I got 3-5 questions wrong out of 48 each time. I just make sure I understand these questions I missed.

I also have not much to say about Math, since Chinese are all math geeks (just kidding...;)). It is a little bit harder than chemistry because I needed to get familiar with those English math terms, and some Calculus which I took 10 years ago. The funny part is, until two weeks ago I thought the time for math is only also 30 min, so I have been practicing that way and got frustrated since it was a mission impossible. When I found out actually it is 40 min, I felt so released. The math I have today is kind of like Collins practical test 4-7, not very hard but very time consuming.

Biology is a totally different story, since I had no biology education at all after high school. I take biology and A&P at a community college, since they are not only are required as pre-pharmacy courses but also would help my PCAT. Actually I am still taking the 2nd semester of each courses now. The good thing is,that means my memory about biology is really fresh. I would like to say, anyone got a A or high B from your college biology and A&P courses, you should have no problem to get 50% of questions (24/48) on Collins correct. Otherwise your biology professor didn't do his job and you should ask for a tuition refund. Collins would help you to get the rest 50%.

I used both Collins and Kaplan, as well as my notes from my class. For using collins, make sure you know why wrong answer is wrong, and think as the test maker how I can modify this question to another one. For example, one of the Collins question is showing a synapse between two neurons and the neuron transmitters is diffusing. The question asks if a drug is an receptor inhibitor, in which part of the picture should this drug work. Of course the answer is the receptors on post synapse neuron. In my test this question has been modified as the drug can inhibit the enzyme that degrades the transmitter. I am happy I got with one very easily.

Since I am not a native speaker,I don't think I can give much useful advice about verb and reading. For verb I believe it is a "high cost , lower reward", especially for me. I just used collins. I used GMAT to prepare reading, but only look at those science related articles.

At the end, several general suggestions/tricks.

I think many of you are already using some i phone or ipad APP for study. What I found is this flashcardtogo dot com. It is extremely helpful. You can download tons of PCAT flashcards from website like quizlet dot com, someone put the whole set of Collins analogy and biology there. You can also create your own flash cards.

Some test taking strategy. skip any math question if it takes more than 1 minute and you still have no clue. On the contrary, if you just finished the question but you feel it is likely you might made some careless mistake, review it right away. It takes longer if you review it after you finish all questions. If possible, write the calculation process on your board (or scratch paper) nicely and clearly. It might take longer time but there are two advantages: (1) the chance you will make some stupid mistakes is much lower. Trust me, when you are nervous you might read b as 6 even it is your own handwriting, (2) when you are reviewing the question, you just need to review you board instead of doing it all over again.

There is another test taking trick I think it is kind of risky. The trick is, generally they test maker will evenly distribute answers among A, B, C, and D, to prevent us being lucky to guess. However we could used their strategy to fight back. I made I table with four columns for A-D. After I finish a question I am pretty sure, I would mark the answer on the table.

I only recommend it if (1) you are positively sure about > 90% questions, and only a few unsure, otherwise you will mislead yourself. (2) you have enough time to make that table and mark every answer. For me I used it for chem and bio. I didn't have enough time to try this trick in math, and got too many not sure foe verb. For example at the end of section I am pretty sure 43 out of 48. In these 43, I got 10 A, 7 B, 12 C and 14 D. I will choose B for all of the 5 questions I am not sure. Maybe I will only guess right 2 out of 5, but it still better than random guess every question of 5.

Last edited:
Wow Rickywang, you have a really strong and solid background. Thanks for your tips! Good luck, you will definitely get into your top choice! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow such great info RickWang. Do you mind telling us how many hours you invested in studying?

Wow such great info RickWang. Do you mind telling us how many hours you invested in studying?

For the past three month I spent averagely 4 hours/day from Monday to Friday, about 1:1:2 ratio on Verb, reading and Bio.

I didn't start Math and Chem until 3 weeks before my test because I was confident about these two parts.

Please be noted as I said, I am still taking 2nd semester of biology and A&P now. So when I doing homework and prepare for course exams, in fact it also helped my PCAT. Therefore it is hard to quantify exactly how much time I spent on Bio.

I cannot study on weekends because I need to take care of my daughter. It is really hard to study when you have kids. :(

So another suggestion for all of you guys - stay single, don't get married, don't have kids!!;)

For the past three month I spent averagely 4 hours/day from Monday to Friday, about 1:1:2 ratio on Verb, reading and Bio.

I didn't start Math and Chem until 3 weeks before my test because I was confident about these two parts.

Please be noted as I said, I am still taking 2nd semester of biology and A&P now. So when I doing homework and prepare for course exams, in fact it also helped my PCAT. Therefore it is hard to quantify exactly how much time I spent on Bio.

I cannot study on weekends because I need to take care of my daughter. It is really hard to study when you have kids. :(

So another suggestion for all of you guys - stay single, don't get married, don't have kids!!;)

until you become a pharmacist, of course! ;)

More power to you bro!! I had to watch my late uncles kids the day before my test and I thought that was bad enough interfering with study time haha. Good luck with the rest of bio. though im sure you will not need it. Biology ended up being my highest score on the test 85th% though I attribute that to my schools bio. department using Pearson based books with the "mastering Biology" for gen. bio. 1 and 2.

Hey I have to ask, did you ever take the ACS exam for organic chemistry? If so did you use any of your knowledge of how exams are made on it? If so was it successful? That is hands down the hardest standardized tests I can think of in the US anyways.

More power to you bro!! I had to watch my late uncles kids the day before my test and I thought that was bad enough interfering with study time haha. Good luck with the rest of bio. though im sure you will not need it. Biology ended up being my highest score on the test 85th% though I attribute that to my schools bio. department using Pearson based books with the "mastering Biology" for gen. bio. 1 and 2.

Hey I have to ask, did you ever take the ACS exam for organic chemistry? If so did you use any of your knowledge of how exams are made on it? If so was it successful? That is hands down the hardest standardized tests I can think of in the US anyways.

haha, if I were you I would take these kids to a movie (ask my uncle to pay the tickets of course) and I can study with my iphone in the cinema.

No, I didn't take any ACS (American Chemistry Society, I guess?) exams.

MY TEST IS TOMORROW!!!!!! :eek:

GOOD luck to all my fellow November test takers!!!!

Thanks! But I got rolled on mine :( 37th percentile. I totally under-estimated it though! Wasn't expecting that.

My question is; I am registered for the Jan 2014 test already. Do you guys think it's enough time to be prepared and do well? I've been using the Kaplan book as well as Pearson practice tests. Although, to be completely honest I did not put enough time into it. I was pretty bummed looking at the score sheet. But, it was more or less a wake up call.

I wanted to apply to eastern schools this Jan after hopefully raising my score. As all of the schools in my area (Midwest) require classes which I have not yet taken.

So hit me straight lol. What are my chances?

- 5+ years in a hospital pharmacy that also has an outpatient/retail pharmacy. I've had countless hours dealing with IVs, retail, compounding, and clinical areas (as they are all under the same roof here. Very fortunate) puts me somewhere around 15k+ hours lol.
- I also have been an athlete in the United States Olympic Education Center for 2 years now. With all of the application stuffers that comes along with. (I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, just hoping it'll make me stand out on the application lol)
- GPA floats around a solid 3.0 in all aspects, math/overall
- real bad pcat of 37th "unofficial."

So if I were to try and retake it in January, would it be enough time to succeed on the pcat? Clearly have to buckle down.

Also, what would be the chances of me applying as a "late applicant" so to speak, for applying in jan?

Anyone know of any schools that LOVEs experience lolol?

Thanks for the help, people's.

Sorry about the book haha.

Thanks! But I got rolled on mine :( 37th percentile. I totally under-estimated it though! Wasn't expecting that.

My question is; I am registered for the Jan 2014 test already. Do you guys think it's enough time to be prepared and do well? I've been using the Kaplan book as well as Pearson practice tests. Although, to be completely honest I did not put enough time into it. I was pretty bummed looking at the score sheet. But, it was more or less a wake up call.

I wanted to apply to eastern schools this Jan after hopefully raising my score. As all of the schools in my area (Midwest) require classes which I have not yet taken.

- 5+ years in a hospital pharmacy that also has an outpatient/retail pharmacy. I've had countless hours dealing with IVs, retail, compounding, and clinical areas (as they are all under the same roof here. Very fortunate) puts me somewhere around 15k+ hours lol.
- I also have been an athlete in the United States Olympic Education Center for 2 years now. With all of the application stuffers that comes along with. (I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, just hoping it'll make me stand out on the application lol)

So if I were to try and retake it in January, would it be enough time to succeed on the pcat? Clearly have to buckle down.

Also, what would be the chances of me applying as a "late applicant" so to speak, for applying in jan?

May I ask is this your 1st time taking PCAT or 2nd time? The reason I'm asking is I have my test tomorrow morning and it s my 2nd time. I just want to know if it is your 2nd time. So how was it comparing to the 1st time???

May I ask is this your 1st time taking PCAT or 2nd time? The reason I'm asking is I have my test tomorrow morning and it s my 2nd time. I just want to know if it is your 2nd time. So how was it comparing to the 1st time???

Hey there,

This was my first time. And something I left out or didn't explain very well looking at it. I more or less just gave it a shot, on a whim more or less. I had already registered for the jan test because I decided to focus on my classes and not so much the pcat. I bought the Pearson tests but have yet to access them. I did use the study guide as well as briefly looked over math in the Kaplan book, as that was by far my weakest section. I most certainly didn't prepare for it like I should have but I didn't think it was going to be that rough lol..

It was probably just me but the math was ridiculous. So defiantly be comfortable with functions and calc stuff.

Post up how it goes, good luck tomorrow!!!

Kill it!

I just tok the pact for the 3rd time. Clearly my test anxiety sucks and hasn't gotten better. before anyone jumps to conclusions no i did not party all through college and yes i actually did study and try my best. I don't know what happened, i felt like i was doing really good. let me give my previous pact scores,
1st time: July 2013--> 29
2nd time sept 2013--> 31
3rd time Nov 2013--> 20.

some schools won't take january scores so i honestly don't even know if i want to bother with the test in january. I am trying t get into iowa or midwestern and i know of people who got in with a 36 and a 7. thats right... a 7!!!!!! gah please don't tell me i shouldn't go into this field or blah blah. i am posting my scores because it's the thread to do so. i know they are low. i used dr collins and kaplan to prep. i saw some of the same questions which was nice but i definitely ran outta time in the math section. but yeah hope everyone else did well! I'm done shedding my tears for the day!

I just tok the pact for the 3rd time. Clearly my test anxiety sucks and hasn't gotten better. before anyone jumps to conclusions no i did not party all through college and yes i actually did study and try my best. I don't know what happened, i felt like i was doing really good. let me give my previous pact scores,
2nd time sept 2013--> 31
3rd time Nov 2013--> 20.

some schools won't take january scores so i honestly don't even know if i want to bother with the test in january. I am trying t get into iowa or midwestern and i know of people who got in with a 36 and a 7. thats right... a 7!!!!!! gah please don't tell me i shouldn't go into this field or blah blah. i am posting my scores because it's the thread to do so. i know they are low. i used dr collins and kaplan to prep. i saw some of the same questions which was nice but i definitely ran outta time in the math section. but yeah hope everyone else did well! I'm done shedding my tears for the day!

I'm also applying to midwestern. I've heard of people getting in with really low scores but they had other things to compensate for it like experience working in a pharmacy or lots of volunteer hours. Would you say the math was similar to the pearson test or dr. collins? I think time management is imperative in QA section. Also, did chemistry have any calculations? I'm asking because I had a friend who took it last week and said it was mostly organic and she didn't have calculations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying to midwestern. I've heard of people getting in with really low scores but they had other things to compensate for it like experience working in a pharmacy or lots of volunteer hours. Would you say the math was similar to the pearson test or dr. collins? I think time management is imperative in QA section. Also, did chemistry have any calculations? I'm asking because I had a friend who took it last week and said it was mostly organic and she didn't have calculations.
Math wasn't really like dr. collins, i mean it was a lot more calc than i expected. and i work in a retail pharmacy; its been about 15 months there. i also did medical lab research on campus for two years. three of my recommendations came from pharmacists that graduated at iowa and also the person i did research for in the dept of molecular physiology. also, i had a pretty solid personal statement. gpa is kinda low but but the academic update in pharmcas will help with that. idk i feel like other than numbers on paper, i am a good candidate. i just hope i get an interview you know. i know people who got into midwestern with like a 40.
it just depends i guess

Just took it.

VA: 412:68
Bio: 440:95
RC: 452:98
QA: 435:93
Chem: 526:99
Composite 451:99

VA had about 10 Americanism on it, not happy about that. (Canadian)

2nd time sept 2013--> 31
3rd time Nov 2013--> 20.

i'm sorry you didnt get what you were aiming for despite all the hard work you put into it... im afraid thats gonna be me... yet again :( i take mine tomorrow. How did you prepare yourself differently from the other times? ive done a ton of practice problems from collins and PPTs.. i feel that they are both completely different. the ones on PPT involves more calc and im def not good with calc... im super nervous now! i maybe have to take an anxiety pill to help me out. I always get really nervous on exams and completely forget how to do everything!!!!!

If you have other things on your app, im sure you'll be fine. esp when you said someone got in with a 7????? WHATTTTTT that gives me hope! for me, my lowest part are numbers as well... but it would be that those are the top two schools look at :( sigh.

anything that you can help with what you got from your exam besides a ton of calc? i think when i took it previously the chem was more conceptual...

we can def do this!!! im not putting in my time and money (damn exams are NOT cheap!) to give up!

i'm sorry you didnt get what you were aiming for despite all the hard work you put into it... im afraid thats gonna be me... yet again :( i take mine tomorrow. How did you prepare yourself differently from the other times? ive done a ton of practice problems from collins and PPTs.. i feel that they are both completely different. the ones on PPT involves more calc and im def not good with calc... im super nervous now! i maybe have to take an anxiety pill to help me out. I always get really nervous on exams and completely forget how to do everything!!!!!

If you have other things on your app, im sure you'll be fine. esp when you said someone got in with a 7????? WHATTTTTT that gives me hope! for me, my lowest part are numbers as well... but it would be that those are the top two schools look at :( sigh.

anything that you can help with what you got from your exam besides a ton of calc? i think when i took it previously the chem was more conceptual...

we can def do this!!! im not putting in my time and money (damn exams are NOT cheap!) to give up!

Haha yeah it's just hard to stay positive when I feel like there's no hope:-/

Same. When are you applying?

I'm really banking on schools looking past the numbers with me lol :/ hopefully it works out for everyone!!

Just took it.

VA: 412:68
Bio: 440:95
RC: 452:98
QA: 435:93
Chem: 526:99
Composite 451:99

VA had about 10 Americanism on it, not happy about that. (Canadian)

congrats on such a perf. score! what materials did you use to study for QA and Bio? QA is my weakest subject due to the time constraints. Also, did you have any calculations in chem section? I would appreciate any tips or feedback.

I'm really banking on schools looking past the numbers with me lol :/ hopefully it works out for everyone!!
i honestly hope that schools look past numbers. I mean a 4 hour test is not a joke, it's hard to stay focused. they cannot compare that to the ciriculum of pharmacy because that is spread out over the course of 3-4 years. :( at this point i feel like i have to pray every single day to get an interview

I applied in September to Midwestern as well as a few other schools. I've finished everything as far as supplementals go. My pcat score is the only thing needed to complete the application process.

i honestly hope that schools look past numbers. I mean a 4 hour test is not a joke, it's hard to stay focused. they cannot compare that to the ciriculum of pharmacy because that is spread out over the course of 3-4 years. :( at this point i feel like i have to pray every single day to get an interview

They have to!! Don't stress too much about it!

They have to!! Don't stress too much about it!
thanks, so much easier said than done. I have had like 3 mental breakdowns since i took the test. I feel like i have no future now! Ughh this sucks. I don't even know how i scored so low considering the time i put into preparing. but thanks for the encoring words, i needed to hear that !

thanks, so much easier said than done. I have had like 3 mental breakdowns since i took the test. I feel like i have no future now! Ughh this sucks. I don't even know how i scored so low considering the time i put into preparing. but thanks for the encoring words, i needed to hear that !

i feel the exact same way... i think i've been depressed for the past what... 5 years now? like i know my downfall on the application and i feel like they wont even look at me and automatically weed me out bc of low numbers. However, when i spoke with an admin at South U in savannah she knew my concern was my low gpa and she reassured me that they really read the personal statement and see what all you've been through in life that would hender your gpa and what not. so that made me feel better... but of course, ppl just say things =/

if we work hard theres gotta be someone out there willing to give us a chance! just gotta be!!!

Hi guys. I'm taking my pcat tomorrow. Can anyone who took it last couple of days tell me if it's any close to PT4? Especially math section. Was it as many calc and limits or was it more word problems? Thank you in advance

I took the PCAT for the first time on Saturday. My scores are
VA 91
Bio 95
RC 87
QA 77
Chem 76
Comp 92

I was surprised at my low chemistry score. In all of the pearson practice tests it was my highest section. That being said, should I retake it?

I took the PCAT for the first time on Saturday. My scores are
VA 91
Bio 95
RC 87
QA 77
Chem 76
Comp 92

I was surprised at my low chemistry score. In all of the pearson practice tests it was my highest section. That being said, should I retake it?

your comp is GREAT! congrats!!! if you want to retake, please let me have your score =D haha... i honestly dont think you should. you are way above min for a lot of schools that have set min!

howd you prepare? i take mine tomorrow and any advice or insights ;) would help! thanks!

your comp is GREAT! congrats!!! if you want to retake, please let me have your score =D haha... i honestly dont think you should. you are way above min for a lot of schools that have set min!

howd you prepare? i take mine tomorrow and any advice or insights ;) would help! thanks!

Thanks!
I realize it is a good score and I am happy with it, I am just worried that chem is my lowest.

To answer your question, I took physiology, and microbiology last spring, gen chem and english composition over the summer, and I am currently in ochem 1, calc 1 and anatomy. Having them all in such a short amount of time was really the most helpful. I also tried to tutor those subjects to stay fresh on them and really solidify them in my mind. Then I used the pearson practice tests and have taken 1 a week for the last three weeks. I reviewed my textbooks in areas that i was weak on and then just tried to relax. Where you are taking it tomorrow, just eat well tonight, get a good nights sleep and RELAX ;) . Good luck!

i feel the exact same way... i think i've been depressed for the past what... 5 years now? like i know my downfall on the application and i feel like they wont even look at me and automatically weed me out bc of low numbers. However, when i spoke with an admin at South U in savannah she knew my concern was my low gpa and she reassured me that they really read the personal statement and see what all you've been through in life that would hender your gpa and what not. so that made me feel better... but of course, ppl just say things =/

if we work hard theres gotta be someone out there willing to give us a chance! just gotta be!!!
hey thanks, i sure hope so. i feel like the paper is saying i'm dumb, but i know i am obviously capable of doing so much considering i will be graduating with a bachelors degree in may. I work at a prestige well known pharmacy and i have done research for a world-class hospital. i just feel like no school will even look at my application with a score of what i got. and it's not like i just blew it off and winged it. i legit tried. standardized tests just aren't for me.

Took my PCAT today,

VA 58
BIO 95:)
CHEM 85
RC 22 :(
QA 18 :(
COMP 65

I honestly thought I did good on the reading comp. The math in my opinion was tough. There just wasn't enough to finish them all. Some problems take forever to solve. I'm so upset.

Took my PCAT today,

VA 58
BIO 95:)
CHEM 85
RC 22 :(
QA 18 :(
COMP 65

I honestly thought I did good on the reading comp. The math in my opinion was tough. There just wasn't enough to finish them all. Some problems take forever to solve. I'm so upset.

QA is really going to rape me tomorrow... did it have a lot of intergrals and stuff? the PPT4 has a TON of those and im afraid of being beaten by that tomorrow :((((( you did well in chem! how was it? i think a lot of schools consider 50th percentile as competitive!

just took mine today as well

Verbal: 52
Chem: 45
Bio: 40
QA: 82
Reading: 86
Comp: 64

Was my first attempt. Taking it again in January probably since my chem and bio sucked. My study guide for bio didn't help at all and I'm just now halfway through organic 1. I'm somewhat satisfied about it though, and at least I know what to work on for next time.

Just out of curiosity what was your breakdown? I had a similar composite, however my breakdown was all over the place.
(Scores from September)
VA: 21 (decreased by 4 from july)
RC: 1 (idk what happened here) (decreased by 24 from July)
BIo: 69 (improved by 20 points from July)
QA: 85 (improved by 40+ points from July)
Chem 81 (improved by 30 points from July)
COmpsite 38
I applied to schools who required no pcat, as well as composite scores of at least 20. I was told by a few schools that because I did well in the sciences I would be okay because it shows I can manage the workload.

So maybe you can just call the schools and see what they say.
I also do think you can raise your score within the time by January. BUT you should buy Dr. COLLINS.

I took the exam again in November, but decided to void bc I know my performance would not have been up to par. So I think I'm a unique case bc my sciences improved greatly, but not a huge change in the composite score.

Dr. Collins greatly helped improve my individual subset within about 2 months. I went through the material thoroughly. I should mention, I didn't really study on VA/RC which is probably why I did so poor. But the sciences are what really matters.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you want it bad enough, you will make the time and go at it with beast mode!!!! Good luck!!! PM me if you have any questions.

Just out of curiosity what was your breakdown? I had a similar composite, however my breakdown was all over the place.
(Scores from September)
VA: 21 (decreased by 4 from july)
RC: 1 (idk what happened here) (decreased by 24 from July)
BIo: 69 (improved by 20 points from July)
QA: 85 (improved by 40+ points from July)
Chem 81 (improved by 30 points from July)
COmpsite 38
I applied to schools who required no pcat, as well as composite scores of at least 20. I was told by a few schools that because I did well in the sciences I would be okay because it shows I can manage the workload.

So maybe you can just call the schools and see what they say.
I also do think you can raise your score within the time by January. BUT you should buy Dr. COLLINS.

I took the exam again in November, but decided to void bc I know my performance would not have been up to par. So I think I'm a unique case bc my sciences improved greatly, but not a huge change in the composite score.

Dr. Collins greatly helped improve my individual subset within about 2 months. I went through the material thoroughly. I should mention, I didn't really study on VA/RC which is probably why I did so poor. But the sciences are what really matters.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you want it bad enough, you will make the time and go at it with beast mode!!!! Good luck!!! PM me if you have any questions.

Awesome! Thank you for getting back to me and the words. Much appreciated! I'm sending you a PM right now ;)

For those of you who did amazing with the dr Collins packets... How exactly did you study? Did you just memorize the study guides and take the practice tests? I feel like I just read over and over and when I go to take the practice test I can't recall what I read. Is someone could break down a typical day of pcat prep that would be great

^^^ that. Would be phenomenal.

There is soooooo much junk to cover. It's overwhelming. A break down would be Perfect!!

just took mine today...

Verbal: 33
Chem: 81
Bio: 89
QA: 45 (ran out of time)
Reading: 47

I have been out of school for 3.5 years, working at a biopharmaceutical company. Pleased with Bio and Chem (Dr. collins) but upset with the rest. Is 64 composite competitive?

just took mine today...

Verbal: 33
Chem: 81
Bio: 89
QA: 45 (ran out of time)
Reading: 47

I have been out of school for 3.5 years, working at a biopharmaceutical company. Pleased with Bio and Chem (Dr. collins) but upset with the rest. Is 64 composite competitive?

Nice! That's not bad. Depending on where you want to go... But I almost shouldn't even say that. I have quite a few friends at ferris that were all in the 60-70 range and they got in.

Can I ask how long you studied the Collins stuff? And how did you study with it?

Nice! That's not bad. Depending on where you want to go... But I almost shouldn't even say that. I have quite a few friends at ferris that were all in the 60-70 range and they got in.

Can I ask how long you studied the Collins stuff? And how did you study with it?

I work full time (10 hours a day M-F). I studied the Dr. collins bio and chemistry everyday for a little over a month. And took vacation days the last 3 days to study all day. I didn't have time to get to the other sections, but knew Bio and Chem was most important. I took a practice pearson test before I started studying and made a composite around 25, and bio and chem in the 30s.

I would take a practice collins test. Review the answer and explanations. Then for each questions I had trouble with I would review the associated sections and try to think of other ways the question could be asked.

I work full time (10 hours a day M-F). I studied the Dr. collins bio and chemistry everyday for a little over a month. And took vacation days the last 3 days to study all day. I didn't have time to get to the other sections, but knew Bio and Chem was most important. I took a practice pearson test before I started studying and made a composite around 25, and bio and chem in the 30s.

I would take a practice collins test. Review the answer and explanations. Then for each questions I had trouble with I would review the associated sections and try to think of other ways the question could be asked.

Awesome, thank you for the insight.

Defiantly hear you. Time is hard to find. I'm taking my round 2 in Jan and I was going to start back at it after thanksgiving with a few hours daily.

Guess ill have to pick up Collins. Haha.

Thanks again. Nice job on the Cats, my friend.

just took mine today. it was my 2nd time and this is my score

November 2013 (July 2013)

Verbal: 30 (30) same
Biology: 74 (57) up 17%
RC: 49 (36) up 13%;)
QA: 91 (96) drop 5% :thumbdown: :bang:
Chemistry: 85 (85) same :bang:
Comp: 74 (72)

I expected more but... oh well, it is what it is. I regret for not tried harder. I'm disappointed in QA which is dropped 5%. In my opinion, this time test is harder than the first one I took. I was so suprised the chemistry did not have much calculation, instead there were bunch of organic chem. I was running out of time for QA and Chem :(

just took mine today. it was my 2nd time and this is my score

November 2013 (July 2013)

Verbal: 30 (30) same
Biology: 74 (57) up 17%
RC: 49 (36) up 13%;)
QA: 91 (96) drop 5% :thumbdown: :bang:
Chemistry: 85 (85) same :bang:
Comp: 74 (72)

I expected more but... oh well, it is what it is. I regret for not tried harder. I'm disappointed in QA which is dropped 5%. In my opinion, this time test is harder than the first one I took. I was so suprised the chemistry did not have much calculation, instead there were bunch of organic chem. I was running out of time for QA and Chem :(

I was also surprised about the chem section. This is what little calculations I saw:
1.Using to C1V2=C2V2 to find an unknown concentration
2.Finding number of grams of one substance needed to react with X grams of another substance
and they gave you a chemical equation to do it.
3. Using P1V1/T1=P2V2 /T2 to find (P2)
4. Figuring out correct equilibrium constant (Keq) expression (not really a calculation but it can be)

Also, your QA scores are really good compared to mine. Did you devote most of your study time to math or what? And did you study from Collins?

Just took it today!!!

Verbal: 91
Biology: 99
RC: 62
QA: 97
Chemistry: 98
Comp: 99

I studied off an on for the last 5 months but studied hard the last month. The last time I took Organic, General, and Calculus was over 10 years ago. I took A&P and Micro two quarters ago. I studied the Kaplan Science and Math books, Collins materials, and Pearson practice tests and review packet. I was/am really surprised that my score is so high! I skipped/guessed on a bunch of chem and quant questions.

To be honest, I did not study for QA. I only took Dr. Collin practice tests. I did not bother to use Dr.collin review for QA. In my opinion it s useless.
I work full time and have no time to study so I only concentrated on bio and chem. wish I had more time for them. The chem section is unexpected with bunch of conceptual questions and no calculation.

Just took it today!!!

I studied off an on for the last 5 months but studied hard the last month. The last time I took Organic, General, and Calculus was over 10 years ago. I took A&P and Micro two quarters ago. I studied the Kaplan Science and Math books, Collins materials, and Pearson practice tests and review packet. I was/am really surprised that my score is so high! I skipped/guessed on a bunch of chem and quant questions.
Wow impressive score!! Congrats!!!

Just took it today!!!

Wow. Congrats! You killed it! Lol good for you!!

I took the PCAT in SEPTEMBER after three or so weeks of studying while working, going to school, and volunteering at the hospital. My scores were as follows.
VA: 94, BIO: 89, RC: 32, QA: 88, CHM: 81 COMP: 87

I just re-took the PCAT today and my scores are as follows:
VA: 94, BIO: 97, RC: 81, QA: 39, CHM: 95 COMP: 93

I decided to retake the test because my reading comprehension score was so low; however, now my quantitative ability score is low because I ran out of time again. I did not study much before my re-take because my life has been bombarded with health and financial problems. I literally had a tire fly into my car and wreck the hood and windshield right before the exam, so I am thankful that my composite improved.

At this point I just need to write my essays, get my references done, and hope for interviews.

Hi guys sort of new to this. Anyway took the PCAT for the first time yesterday and it was brutal. I did not expect it to be that hard. I studied dr collins and took the pearson tests. Let me just say dr collins helped me with nothing on that exam. :confused: