PRELIMINARY SCORES OCTOBER/NOVEMBER PCAT ~*OFFICIAL THREAD*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow PCAT test takers!!!!! Let's create this thread for the October/November preliminary scores!!!

Please feel free to vent about the exam, and also include your score breakdown with percentile rankings and the testing material you used!! :)

Let's end it strong everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys sort of new to this. Anyway took the PCAT for the first time yesterday and it was brutal. I did not expect it to be that hard. I studied dr collins and took the pearson tests. Let me just say dr collins helped me with nothing on that exam. :confused:

Sorry. I studied the same materials but I did well on the test yesterday, maybe I had a different version? Did you panic or maybe you did not understand the concept but rather memorized the exact Collins problems? Either way good luck if you end up retaking it!

how did your exam go? what advice could you give? taking it thurs =/ sooooo nervous. Is this a retake or first time? if retake, can you compare the diff and howd you prepare? so many questions... sorry! hope you did well!

How did your exam go? = way below my desired score (wont release that yet)
( to break it down: verbal wasn't bad...but score didn't reflect what i expected ***meaning: easy to finish and go back, but cudn't change my answers coz i was either sure or not so sure.
biology was also easy to finish with minutes spared to go back...but cudnt change answer ^same ordeal as verbal^
chemistry= ran out of time and guess on many of the end questions
quantitative= same as chemistry
reading comp= same as last two above.)

What advz would you give? I need this for my own. Lots of people on this forum *especially the 99% club give solid advz. To tell you the truth i just decided not too long ago to take the pcat and therefore didn't prepare for it solidly. I did read thru the Dr. Collins material and the big Kaplan book but didn't do practice exams as much as i needed to. I only managed to do two sets each of the Dr. Collins exams. Lots of 99%ers here recommend going thru those exams about 3 times (with about 36 exams...your looking at 108+ times)===this should build your time management and also show you good indicators of your weaknesses. Dr. Collins is the best by far...i so many questions from their materials...especially the updates on the test or even more so similar question stems. It was surprising to me coz i only had the morning before my test to look at the updates and i was in owe (saying to myself, man...i just read this exact question).

Is this a retake or first time? this is my first time.

Retake? Yes...planning Jan 7 or 8...last administrations.
This time around...amo buckle down and run through Dr. Collins as i have explained above...(remember...time management and resolve).

Sorry am replying late...but this can help someone else as well.

Sorry. I studied the same materials but I did well on the test yesterday, maybe I had a different version? Did you panic or maybe you did not understand the concept but rather memorized the exact Collins problems? Either way good luck if you end up retaking it!
Congratulations on doing well! And I would have to say it was a different version. I understood concepts very well. I did well in the chemistry and quantitative sections. I think what threw me off was the biology. It was nothing I have ever seen before. Very detailed questions. And thank you! I have yet to decide if I should retake

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who did amazing with the dr Collins packets... How exactly did you study? Did you just memorize the study guides and take the practice tests? I feel like I just read over and over and when I go to take the practice test I can't recall what I read. Is someone could break down a typical day of pcat prep that would be great

Hey you...i published a tally for the Dr. Collins exams...just click on the link below and check it out. What i have learned from these forums is that lots of folks have advzd us to go through the exams a couple times...so about 3 times. So i created just that...check it out and create one for yourself: link is pasted below...have fun

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtIlTMLV22fcdHVNdmZoOWJvYWxaaEZHRHNkVHlsS1E&output=html

Hey you...i published a tally for the Dr. Collins exams...just click on the link below and check it out. What i have learned from these forums is that lots of folks have advzd us to go through the exams a couple times...so about 3 times. So i created just that...check it out and create one for yourself: link is pasted below...have fun

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtIlTMLV22fcdHVNdmZoOWJvYWxaaEZHRHNkVHlsS1E&output=html
Thank you so much! You're a life saver, thank you!! :)

Nice!!! Study methods/materials and length? Haha

Good job on the cats, spanked it.
I studied for around 2 and 1/2 months, roughly 3 days a week (my days off work). When I'd study, I'd go about 7-8 hours or so each session. It's been a long time since I've initially learned this material, so honestly I spent a lot of time re-learning basics in bio, chem, and math. If you're fresh out of sophomore year of college, it probably won't take that much time.

The week before the exam, I took off work and studied 8 hours a day for 7 days straight.

Used Kaplan 2013/14 & 2011 Doctor Collins for Biology. Read through Kaplan multiple times because I'd forgotten most of the biology basics. Dr.Collins was better for microbiology and immunology, and for a few specific questions on the exam. I'd use both, but focus on Dr.Collins if you don't have time for Kaplan. I also found random bio notecards on the internet and used that, too.

For Verbal I used random GRE and SAT Vocab notecards I found on the internet (found on cram.com). Probably learned 750+ new words but only a few of those were on the test, so not sure how much that helped. Although maybe those few words shot me up in the percentile rankings. I'd focus my studying efforts on Bio, Quant, Chemistry, instead. Honestly I focused a lot of time on this section because I found learning new words to be somewhat fun. In retrospect, it was a bit of a waste of time.

I can't say I was well prepared for Chemistry and Quant. I used 2011 Dr.Collins but I hadn't worked through all the tests. That I scored above an 85 in both says a lot about how helpful Dr.Collins is. I'd honestly ignore all other study materials for these two sections. I haven't had a chemistry or math course in years so Dr.Collins was pretty much all the knowledge I was going in with.

For quant, the strategy is relatively straightforward with Dr.Collins. Work through all the problems on the tests and make yourself a cheat-cheat for the problems you couldn't solve. Make sure you can solve all the problems without referring to the cheat-cheat. Then, a few weeks later, do all the tests while timing yourself. If you can't solve a problem within a minute, just jump to the next one. You want to make sure you can attempt all the problems within the 50 minutes. The time crunch is the most important factor. This is what I'd do if I could do this "studying for the PCAT" thing over again. Honestly, you can probably score a 95+ just solving all the easier problems and guessing on the more time-consuming ones.

...Chemistry, go through the Dr.Collins lecture material. Then, work through all 10+ exams and make yourself a cheat-cheat for all the problems that you couldn't solve off the bat. The explanations are on the back of each exam. Then when you're cramming before the PCAT just go over the lecture Dr.Collins material again and the cheat-cheat you've made yourself. I'm guessing you can guarantee yourself a 95+ on the chemistry if you perfectly execute this strategy.

RC, I didn't prepare for at all. I think trying to "study" RC is a bit of a waste of time unless you're already golden in the other sections. It honestly feels like the answers are often down to opinion in this section. Focus on the sciences and math.

Last edited:
I studied for around 2 and 1/2 months, roughly 3 days a week (my days off work). When I'd study, I'd go about 7-8 hours or so each session. It's been a long time since I've initially learned this material, so honestly I spent a lot of time re-learning basics in bio, chem, and math. If you're fresh out of sophomore year of college, it probably won't take that much time.

The week before the exam, I took off work and studied 8 hours a day for 7 days straight.

Used Kaplan 2013/14 & 2011 Doctor Collins for Biology. Read through Kaplan multiple times because I'd forgotten most of the biology basics. Dr.Collins was better for microbiology and immunology, and for a few specific questions on the exam. I'd use both, but focus on Dr.Collins if you don't have time for Kaplan. I also found random bio notecards on the internet and used that, too.

For Verbal I used random GRE and SAT Vocab notecards I found on the internet (found on cram.com). Probably learned 750+ new words but only a few of those were on the test, so not sure how much that helped. Although maybe those few words shot me up in the percentile rankings. I'd focus my studying efforts on Bio, Quant, Chemistry, instead. Honestly I focused a lot of time on this section because I found learning new words to be somewhat fun. In retrospect, it was a bit of a waste of time.

I can't say I was well prepared for Chemistry and Quant. I used 2011 Dr.Collins but I hadn't worked through all the tests. That I scored above an 85 in both says a lot about how helpful Dr.Collins is. I'd honestly ignore all other study materials for these two sections. I haven't had a chemistry or math course in years so Dr.Collins was pretty much all the knowledge I was going in with.

For quant, the strategy is relatively straightforward with Dr.Collins. Work through all the problems on the tests and make yourself a cheat-cheat for the problems you couldn't solve. Make sure you can solve all the problems without referring to the cheat-cheat. Then, a few weeks later, do all the tests while timing yourself. If you can't solve a problem within a minute, just jump to the next one. You want to make sure you can attempt all the problems within the 50 minutes. The time crunch is the most important factor. This is what I'd do if I could do this "studying for the PCAT" thing over again. Honestly, you can probably score a 95+ just solving all the easier problems and guessing on the more time-consuming ones.

...Chemistry, go through the Dr.Collins lecture material. Then, work through all 10+ exams and make yourself a cheat-cheat for all the problems that you couldn't solve off the bat. The explanations are on the back of each exam. Then when you're cramming before the PCAT just go over the lecture Dr.Collins material again and the cheat-cheat you've made yourself. I'm guessing you can guarantee yourself a 95+ on the chemistry if you perfectly execute this strategy.

RC, I didn't prepare for at all. I think trying to "study" RC is a bit of a waste of time unless you're already golden in the other sections. It honestly feels like the answers are often down to opinion in this section. Focus on the sciences and math.
Awesome, thank you for the reply!!

Sounds like you defiantly worked hard for your score.

I'm a senior right now and I'm having a hard time with the gen chem haha. Crazy how fast it disappears.

Thank your for the tips. I'm going to do that!
I'm retaking in January and my Collins stuff is on order.

Thanks again, and congrats my mans!

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thank you for the reply!!

Sounds like you defiantly worked hard for your score.

I'm a senior right now and I'm having a hard time with the gen chem haha. Crazy how fast it disappears.

Thank your for the tips. I'm going to do that!
I'm retaking in January and my Collins stuff is on order.

Thanks again, and congrats my mans!
If you focus on Collins, you'll do great!! Good luck!

:)I wish I could've studied more.. all time I had was a month and half with full time active duty status.. whoever has plenty amount of time studying for PCAT can definitely score better than me. below 70 composite

Took the test Nov 8th for the first time:

Verbal 49 :(
Bio 74
RC 54 :(
Quant 77
Chemistry 97
Composite 81

I could never sit down and read a book growing up and never did well in English class which could explain my terrible scores. I wasn't too happy with my Bio either but I really only studied for about a week and a half so I guess I only have myself to blame. I used the Kaplan books which I personally think they were useless and did not help me prepare at all.

I took the November PCAT. Only used KAPLAN to study but I studied for at least a good 3 months. They offer a short diagnostic test and two full length tests during the course and the class is kind of pricy (but think of how much money you will be spending on pharmacy school). When I took the class, they did not offer grading on the writing portion at all. They usually offer some kind of discount(usually with your university's pre-pharmacy club). I was more worried about chemistry so I was complacent on math and did not really do the math activities that KAPLAN offered. Big mistake! I am usually not good in chemistry so I feel that KAPLAN really helped me with that.

Verbal Ability 416 74%
Biology 447 97%
RC 426 91%
QA 410 67%
Chem 443 95%
Composite 428 93%
Writing Score: 4 (avg: 3.3)

Reactions: 1 user
But you did a great job anyways!!! Any interview offered so far? Good luck!!!

Thanks! You did really well, too. I made the mistake of sending in my applications near the deadline so I have a very small chance of getting an interview. I am reluctant to apply out of state, because it will be significantly more costly. Have you received any interviews yet?

Well I think we are on the same boat... I submitted PharmCAS on Nov 27th...still have not heard of them.. :( But never loose faith! ;)