preliminary surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people say that a lot of graduates get preliminary surgery positions instead of categorical positions. After they complete one year of preliminary they have to go through residency placement again. So, after completing that one year of preliminary and then getting a categorical spot the next year, will that person have to complete 4 more years of gs or 5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

if theres an opening in another program where a pgy-2 spot is vacant then u dont have to repeat pgy-1

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any good resources to find a second year spot???? My significant other is currently a PGY1 doing a prelim year in surgery and is stressing about doing his 1st year over. As if your first year of surgery isn't stressful enough!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's a very cool site, with listings of tons of opening in fellowships and residency spots, but I do have a question.

It seems odd to me, and maybe it's just because I don't understand how categorical spots work that well. I was under the impression that when one matches into a categorical surgery spot, it is for a certain category. Meaning, your course is set from Day 1 of your residency what you are going to do (NeuroSurg, Uro, etc.) although your first couple of years are going to be identical (or nearly so) to the general surgery residents.

But on this list, I noticed several different centers with openings in "Categorical Surgery", but the category was never listed! I mean, I assume that if you accept a PGY-II or -III spot in categorical surgery, you would continue in that program along the same track during subsequent years, but it never said which category was open, whether neuro, uro or whatever. Does this make sense? Perhaps I'm just confused about how all this works, although I have read the FAQs and thought I had a grasp of it....

Any input, please?

Originally posted by tRmedic21
That's a very cool site, with listings of tons of opening in fellowships and residency spots, but I do have a question.

It seems odd to me, and maybe it's just because I don't understand how categorical spots work that well. I was under the impression that when one matches into a categorical surgery spot, it is for a certain category. Meaning, your course is set from Day 1 of your residency what you are going to do (NeuroSurg, Uro, etc.) although your first couple of years are going to be identical (or nearly so) to the general surgery residents.

But on this list, I noticed several different centers with openings in "Categorical Surgery", but the category was never listed! I mean, I assume that if you accept a PGY-II or -III spot in categorical surgery, you would continue in that program along the same track during subsequent years, but it never said which category was open, whether neuro, uro or whatever. Does this make sense? Perhaps I'm just confused about how all this works, although I have read the FAQs and thought I had a grasp of it....

Any input, please?

The answer is to look at the department offering the position. If its the Department of Surgery, most likely the Categorical position (regardless of year) is for GENERAL Surgery candidates; Department of Neurosurgery, then the categorical position would be for Neurosurgery residents (assuming they had completed the prior years in another NSgy program).

Well just wanted to tell you that positions on (based on my experience) http://www.apds.org/residency_positions_open.htm
are predominantly old and already filled. PDs and their secretaries so lazy that forget to remove them from this site., when positions are filled