Prematriculation program vs very fun summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijagirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing or not doing a prematriculation program offered my galveston, and people have told me to take the summer off and have a great time. Anybody else in this position? Is it really worth it? I figured I had worked really hard in undergrad that this summer will really be my true vacation in a long time.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Naijagirl said:
I am thinking of doing or not doing a prematriculation program offered my galveston, and people have told me to take the summer off and have a great time. Anybody else in this position? Is it really worth it? I figured I had worked really hard in undergrad that this summer will really be my true vacation in a long time.

Fun summer.

Naijagirl said:

I took one through UNC School of Medicine last summer (before I applied). There were 6 people who were entering MS1. It would be great preparation for med school, but it is very likely that you will be extremely burned out before med school even starts. If I had the choice for this summer, I would probably take the summer off. But, if you do decide to take it you will be at an advantage at the beginning of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, be sure to note who the program is geared towards. The one at the University of Rochester is more for people who have been out of school for a while and want a little refesher before starting the big deal or who have lower than average stats coming in.

The vast majority of people don't do this, so I'd say go out and have fun.

FUN SUMMER!!! Party like a rockstar.

Fun summer if you are coming out of school.

Prematriculation program?!? :eek: Heck, I plan on going camping, hiking, rollerblading, and lounging around by a pool somewhere. (Not necessarily at the same time.)

Definitely live it up. I plan on driving around the country, making stops at different things along the way. It's your last free summer for a LONG time... so live it up. :cool:

Naijagirl said:
Don't do it

Last edited:
skoaner said:
Since you're a chick, you'll probably need it. Also, unless you were a real science major (Chem, physics, biochem, engineering, etc.) you'll need it too ;)

actually, since you are a chick you probably won't need it. in my experience 99% of my professors are male and more than willing to help a damsel in distress :D

i vote take the summer off, relax, have some fun, and party like a rock star.

ummmm.... I guess I'm the only one seriously considering taking the pre-matriculation courses?

:eek:

summer off fo sho!!!!! chill out, relax......you dont want to go into med school burned out after a difficult undergrad.....and you wont have much time to relax once you're in to med school......pretty much the summer after your first year is the only summer you have off, that is unless you choose to do research or work that summer! Take a break!!! Do things you always wanted to do or activities that you enjoy....that may be doing absolutely nothing on the couch watching TV and movies all day....whatever it is, it will be good for your peace of mind before the grueling hours of med school

TexasSnow said:
ummmm.... I guess I'm the only one seriously considering taking the pre-matriculation courses?

:eek:

I'm sure you're not the only one. There are tons of tools in med school who would choose the course.

doc05 said:
I'm sure you're not the only one. There are tons of tools in med school who would choose the course.

tons of front row gunner tools who would love the extra opportunity to make the rest of us look dumb.

if you really want to have a heads up for med school:

1. memorize glycolysis, TCA, pentose phosphate pathway, the urea cycle, and purine/pyrimidine biosynthesis with all the intermediates and enzymes.
2. memorize every bone, nerve, blood vessel, and muscle in the human body and their embryological origin.
3. learn all the basic examination techniques, charting w/ commonly used abbreviations, and the style your future preceptor will want you to present in.
4. practice looking at books all day long, never seeing the sun, and absolutely never getting more than 4 hours sleep.

j/k.

med school really isn't all that bad. but i don't think you will regret taking the summer off and having some fun.

For goodness sake, take the summer off and enjoy yourself.

The only good reason to do a prematric program is if you want to run for class office. Seems M1 class officers seem to always know each other from prematric...

Fun summer wins

monstermatch said:
For goodness sake, take the summer off and enjoy yourself.

The only good reason to do a prematric program is if you want to run for class office. Seems M1 class officers seem to always know each other from prematric...