Premature AOA Aspirations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college last year and I decided to join medical school. As my father refused to "donate" money to his alma mater, I will be forced to go to what is called "state school". I have a question for those who would be willing to enlighten me:

How do schools select AOA members? If they select students by their marks, how do Pass/Fail schools select students? What exactly is junior AOA? I understand that these members are inducted early, but how early and for what purpose? Any Additional information regarding Alpha Omega Alpha would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search on AOA and only found topics relating to residency application. If I didn't look hard enough, I apologize, I am very rich and very lazy.

Members don't see this ad.

they usually do it by class rank. i'm not entirely sure about schools that do p/f for the first two years.

they usually do it by class rank. i'm not entirely sure about schools that do p/f for the first two years.

I heard that even though a school might be p/f first two years, they might still have an internal ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't speak for all P/F schools, but at some interviews it was mentioned that schools will elect AOA members based on third-year rotation grades.

It varies from school to school. Most use your pre-clinical grades and Step I score to elect junior AOA after second year, while senior AOA are elected after third year using the aforementioned criteria and their clinical grades. Schools weigh the criteria differently and some even require some sort of community service. It can get very political at some places.

My advice, just put your head down and do as well as you can. It's no big deal if AOA doesn't happen - it definitely won't shut many doors at all come residency time.

I think I asked this question at every school I visited. Some of them go based on grades only (UWSMPH); others go based on a combination of grades, Step 1, 3rd letters, and some other arcane criteria (WashU/Baylor); others didn't tell me anything at all; and Cleveland Clinic doesn't even elect AOA! Lesson of the story, it varies greatly by school. You'll need to find out from the school itself to find out.

I did a search on AOA and only found topics relating to residency application. If I didn't look hard enough, I apologize, I am very rich and very lazy.
I'm sorry but did no one else catch this? And his signature? :laugh:
Winner of "Best Troll" award?

yeah i noticed it and his attitude in the introduction to his post. ignored it because he did have a legitamate question.

I noticed, but I figured the question was a legitimate one and chose to ignore the other part. I was thinking about saying something, but decided not to so that I could get some real answers instead of some annoying argument about it.

yeah i noticed it and his attitude in the introduction to his post. ignored it because he did have a legitamate question.

Agreed, this thread hits some important points

A) AOA chapters make their own criteria on admission. Some use grades +/- step 1, some use nonacademic criteria, some only base it on clinical grades, some schools don't even have a chapter.

B) Pass/Fail doesn't always mean your school isn't ranking you.

C) Work hard in med school. Even if you don't make AOA, your grades and future Step 1 score will benefit.

I graduated from college last year and I decided to join medical school. As my father refused to "donate" money to his alma mater, I will be forced to go to what is called "state school".

I thought this part was more alarming than the part you quoted kaustikos! How did no one attack him for that?!?! I get attacked all the time for "not getting in on my own merits" and this guy blames his dad for not donating money to the school, as though he should never have to get in on his own merits? Haha that is where i see trolling.

The OP is joking.

I Know this because my father owns the Internet and has had his team of man-servants contact the OP personally to demand an explanation.

I thought this part was more alarming than the part you quoted kaustikos! How did no one attack him for that?!?! I get attacked all the time for "not getting in on my own merits" and this guy blames his dad for not donating money to the school, as though he should never have to get in on his own merits? Haha that is where i see trolling.

Yeah. It completely detracted me from wanting to even offer an honest response.:thumbdown:

The OP is joking.

Well clearly, but i mean i just thought it was odd which part of the post people chose to comment on. Hey and congrats on being the heir to the entire internet, that's pretty cool. All i'll get from my parents is some chipped dishes and some debt.
(i do know how to read sarcasm/jokes).

troll.jpg

Thank you for indulging my warped sense of humour and answering my questions (wasn't expecting actual answers, but thanks, I honestly wanted to know).

I graduated from college last year and I decided to join medical school. As my father refused to "donate" money to his alma mater, I will be forced to go to what is called "state school". I have a question for those who would be willing to enlighten me:

How do schools select AOA members? If they select students by their marks, how do Pass/Fail schools select students? What exactly is junior AOA? I understand that these members are inducted early, but how early and for what purpose? Any Additional information regarding Alpha Omega Alpha would be greatly appreciated.

is this post a joke? :eek:
" . . . I decided to join medical school . . . " Who the hell talks like that? Is English your second language, son?

I smell a
Troll.jpg

is this post a joke? :eek:
" . . . I decided to join medical school . . . " Who the hell talks like that? Is English your second language, son?

Yes, a joke, let me make that clear so we don't have to keep bumping the post. And thanks for quoting the first sentence, that was the one that amused me. Indirectly from "Arrested Development". Just keeping you on your toes!

Mozart was much better looking in his youth! Everyone looks like crap when they die at 35.

Lest there are people who actually are concerned about this (even though the OP is joking) -- you really cannot plan on being AOA any more than you can plan on high board scores or an ultracompetitive residency. You work your hardest and MAYBE some of this will pan out. But be warned that EVERYONE in med school got mostly A's in college, and so at the starting gate you are equally likely to be in the top half of the class as the bottom. The admissions folk do a nice job of truncating away all the folks in college who kept the curve down, and you will have to really work for your grades from here on out. Doesn't matter how highly ranked an allo school it is because honestly you probably wouldn't notice the difference in competition from a class with an average matriculating GPA of 3.5 vs 3.8; the class will be stocked with folks who can walk away with the top grade on a given test/subject. Whether you can keep your head above water, let alone get honors, is going to be a learning exercise, not one you go into med school counting on.

Yes, a joke, let me make that clear so we don't have to keep bumping the post. And thanks for quoting the first sentence, that was the one that amused me. Indirectly from "Arrested Development". Just keeping you on your toes!

Arrested Development reference - I will reply in kind:

tobias funke said:
"Well, yes, but I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands."