1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

premed @ 2yr vs 4yr school (already have 4yr degree)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jms2002, Dec 10, 2002.

?

Should one take premeds at a 2 year college or a 4 year university?

1. 2 Year College

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. 4 Year University

23 vote(s)
    95.8%
  1. jms2002

jms2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a bacholors degree in accounting but now decided I want to go into medicine and I am debating whether or not to get my premed sciences at a 2 year community college or at a 4 year university. Since I already have a degree I prefer to take it at the 2 year because it will be cheaper and presumably much easier to get A's. Curious to if people agree or disagree with this ...... Thanks :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I recommend doing one of those organized programs like the Bryn-Mawr and so forth (there's a lot of them out there), because they have direct linkages to affiliated med schools and if you do well in them and decently on the MCAT, you're pretty much in.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

maybe it's just me, but unless i kicked some serious booty at a competitive undergrad, i would not go to a cc for my prerequisites. you're not the only one who thinks it's easier to get a's at community colleges. adcoms do too! also, they don't offer the variety of courses that most 4 year schools offer. for instance, i don't know of a community college in my area that offers ochem or biochem. maybe some do, but many definitely do not.

5. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Most schools will accept CC grades as long as they are sure you are capable of getting the same grades at a 4-year. Easy way to do this is take G-chem, physics and general bio at a CC, then the next year take O-chem, and one or two upper division bio classes at a 4-year. Or you could take everything at a CC, and if you get 12s in the science sections on the MCAT, they'll see you learned a lot for your As.

6. jms2002

jms2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have 3.0/3.7 BS/MBA respectively. I would like to take all of my sciences at a 2 year school. If I did very well, say above 3.7 in my premeds, do you still think I'd be hurt b/c they are from a 2 year?

7. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Some med schools require that premed reqs be taken at 4 year accredited colleges.

8. lady bug

7+ Year Member

The only one I've heard of that has this requirement is Wake Forest. Any others?

9. jms2002

jms2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

Ladybug - how familiar are you with Bryn Mawr? I've been considering them and Goucher but there application process is a bit intimidating..... its like applying to Med School, what interests me about those programs is the amount of schools they have linkage agreements with.

10. jms2002

jms2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

bump - looking for more perspectives....