DMBFan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
215
0
Visit site
Status
I need some advice as to what to do about my current summer situation. I have already been accepted for like a research program in Pittsburgh in like Genetcis and Molecular Bio, but I really want to go do research in New York, and when I called their office and asked them about when they would notify me, the lady on the telephone sort of got all happy when I told her my name and said that my app was in the "High" category (they rank their apps into high, medium, low, and reject). Anyway, I have to let Pittsburgh know by March 26, what should I do? Take a gamble on New York? I am not sure if I there is like a 100% gaurantee I will get in! Any advice????
 

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
4,173
9
44
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Accept the Pitt offer for now because at least having one research experience is better than none, and then if NY comes through, just tell Pitt something else came up. People do it all the time. I was third in line for the position I have now, I'm really glad the first two people were flakes. Similarly, I'm sure they have backups in Pitt to use if you end up in NY.
 
S

Smile'n'Wink MD

Contact New York and let them know your situation...that you hold their program in high regard and would prefer them. Can you also accept that other offer and if NY comes through, drop the other and head for NY?
 
About the Ads

DMBFan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
215
0
Visit site
Status
Thanks guys, what is the likelihood of my getting in with this "high" status? I mean there is a chance that I won't get it considering the fact that I am an English major.

Jlee, the lady at the office said that she doesn't know when they will notify me. The website says early April, but I need to tell Pittsburgh by March 26! Dilemmas...sigh

I guess I could tell them that I accept but I would feel bad telling them I couldn't do it ultimately. I prefer NY just bec. it would be easier to move there since I have family close by and know NO ONE in pitt.
 

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
4,173
9
44
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by DMBFan
Thanks guys, what is the likelihood of my getting in with this "high" status?

How could anyone here possibly know that?? Trust us, take the Pitt position and keep your fingers crossed for NY. Don't feel bad about backing out if you need to. I've been in the "real world" for a while now and people expect these situations to arise.
 

theduke

Brilliant rocket surgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2004
623
0
Visit site
Status
DMBfan

Are you pre-med or just coming from high school? I would take the more guaranteed if I was just coming from hs for prelim experience.

There are also summer programs in Northwestern here in Chicago if you are interested (which I attended and found very good)
 
About the Ads