premed advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin111

Reaction score
I'm currently a premed and was looking to seek some advice on getting into medical school. I just started my senior year at undergrad and I have a gpa of 2.4 currently. I'm planning on taking an extra year (to re-take classes I did bad in) and graduate a year later and hopefully try to get straight As these next two years since schools like to see an upward trend. I'm planning to take the MCAT spring 2023 and then apply right after to some D.O. schools. I'm wondering if I should do an SMP instead of taking an extra year since it seems like those who do an SMP at the medical school that they're interested in get a better chance at getting into that specific medical school. I also know med schools don't do grade replacements unfortunately so that doesn't really help my gpa that much anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you need a list of SMP-to-DO programs check out this post and click the tab for "SMP List - 2020" at the bottom of the google sheets page

It sounds like you have a pretty solid idea of what you should do! Great to see that you're not getting discouraged and are keeping your chin up. The wise @Goro would be of tremendous value here