Premed adviser and LORs :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My premed adviser is out of country right now. I managed to get an email from him and he said that LORs are part of the secondary app and I don't need them for primaries. I was like oookaaaaay... But there wasn't much to do since he is out of country. Well come to find out at least one of the schools I applied to required LORs BEFORE they will screen you to send you the secondary. Which of course means how many other schools require it? To make it worse, the one I know for sure does this is one of my top picks! :scared: :bang::bang::bang::bang:
My adviser is out of country still, so I am more than a little frustrated and anxious about this. Any ideas on what I can do? :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. Most schools include letters as part of the secondary.

And the app season has only been open for two weeks. Calm down! Just control what you can control. He is out of the country, not much you can do about that. You should have made arrangements before he left.

Anyways, apply to schools and indicate on AMCAS where the LOR will come from. Then submit and wait for secondaries. If you get some, fill them out. Contact the schools if you don't get a secondary (and they have been sent out already) about your LOR situation.

Don't worry. Most schools include letters as part of the secondary.

And the app season has only been open for two weeks. Calm down! Just control what you can control. He is out of the country, not much you can do about that. You should have made arrangements before he left.

Anyways, apply to schools and indicate on AMCAS where the LOR will come from. Then submit and wait for secondaries. If you get some, fill them out. Contact the schools if you don't get a secondary (and they have been sent out already) about your LOR situation.

I didn't know he was leaving or I would have. Don't get me wrong he is a Great guy and overall he's a very good adviser, but he can be kind of flaky. He has a tendency to disappear. This isn't the first time he's been hard to reach or unavailable when someone has needed him.
I know it's still the start of the season, but last round my SO had a LOR problem and it took a long time to get fixed. And last round I applied late in the cycle and it really hurt me so this cycle I'm extra nervous about getting everything in nice and early.

For the schools that Have sent secondaries, will they even look at it before my letters come in?

Members don't see this ad :)
your app won't be considered "complete" until you have LORs, so no I don't think it will be even looked at by adcoms...i'm confused, is this your only letter? is he the "committee" at your school? why is his letter so imperative? My school doesn't have a committee and last year I submit with all individual letters and met the schools' requirements in that way instead.

He is the committee and he has ALL of my letters. I don't know how it works in other places but here all LORs get sent to him, and HE sends them to AMCAS. I was told that AMCAS won't accept them if you send them in... :confused: Even so, he has all of my letters so it's not like I Could submit them if I had them. :( I did my letters as a committee packet last time and I didn't have any problems....