Premed Adviser Letter...Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeofmedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am applying to schools this fall and am debating asking my pre-med adviser for a letter. Here's the backstory:

I have been out of school for a year now working in the private sector. I never really had a connection with the pre-med adviser (not a committee) at my school. In order to get a recommendation from him, you have to fill out this long questionnaire and write about why you want to go into medicine.

I already have letters lined up from my research mentor, two science faculties, one non-science faculty and my boss here at work (5 total). They all know me really well, in and outside of the classroom.

Is it recommended to still get a letter from the adviser? Would it be looked down upon if I didn't? MSAR isn't helping much with this.

Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand schools that want committee letters want committee letters not adviser letters and in the case that your school doesn't have a committee you get it from proffesors.

You should not get an adviser letter from an adviser you don't know well unless it's explicitly stated in any of the schools you are applying to to get one.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I am applying to schools this fall and am debating asking my pre-med adviser for a letter. Here's the backstory:

I have been out of school for a year now working in the private sector. I never really had a connection with the pre-med adviser (not a committee) at my school. In order to get a recommendation from him, you have to fill out this long questionnaire and write about why you want to go into medicine.

I already have letters lined up from my research mentor, two science faculties, one non-science faculty and my boss here at work (5 total). They all know me really well, in and outside of the classroom.

Is it recommended to still get a letter from the adviser? Would it be looked down upon if I didn't? MSAR isn't helping much with this.

Thanks for your help!!!
It would be a sign of your poor judgement to ask for a letter from this person, and thus make our job easier as Adcom members.
As a teaching moment, you already have enough LORs. More is not better.