Premed advisor advises against being exercise science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aegistitan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've heard time and time again that your major does not matter for medical school. But today my premed advisor threw me a curve ball and recommended I do not major in exercise science and sport studies (ESSS), a relatively new major at my large public university, as it is considered a "soft-science" and a pre-physical therapy major. She also told me that some medical schools would look at my application and see that I was an exercise science major and see that the course work is not as difficult as say, a biology major's would be. Is my premed advisor simply wrong? I was wondering what difference it would make since plenty of "softer majors" such as psychology or art majors somehow end up in medical school too.

My dilemma is that I am genuinely interested in exercise science and I feel as though I will actually be able to provide information to adcoms when they ask me why I chose that as my major, as opposed to a "harder science" major which I really have no reason to pursue other than "it's a hard science and my premed advisor advised me to do so".

My other option would be to become a molecular biology major, which involves pretty much the same coursework as exercise science, but requires genetics and biochemistry, as opposed to anatomy and physiology courses for the exercise science major. Would genetics and biochemistry benefit me more than anatomy and physiology for the 2015 MCAT?

Any opinions on what I should do? Any other ESSS majors have any luck applying to medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

People get in with music and liberal arts degrees. What do you think? Don't listen to this advisor. Clearly has no clue about the process.

Reactions: 3 users
Major in whatever you want. Med schools don't care what you major in. However, make sure that you can fit in the pre-reqs as well as other helpful classes such as biochem and physiology. There are some majors that are rather restrictive in regards to the classes you have to take for completing the major, and these majors might not allow enough time to complete the pre-med required classes. If you are able to fit in pre-med classes alongside your major coursework, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to do well in your coursework and MCAT, what would it matter what you majored in? At that point, "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad."

I've heard the same thing - that exercise science is a joke major.

You should listen to the Adcoms on this board though

GPA and MCAT are far more important than your major. As long as you do well in your classes no one will care.

You likely won't get as much sympathy for a lower GPA though like some of the more rigorous majors (biomedical engineering etc…).

I majored in Exercise Science and had no problems applying. If you're interested in it just do it and take Biochem and Genetics as electives. That's what I did and I'm glad I studied what I was interested in.

Agree with adviser.

Is there a bias against non-lib arts or non-engineering?

yeah I know several people who were exercise science/kinesiology majors and did fine applying to med school. They got to take some cool physiology classes too. OP, if you like it, then do it. Just take biochem and genetics on the side.

As an alternative opinion--if you go to a school with a well-established pre-med track record and pre-med committee process, it may be beneficial to follow their suggestions.

As an alternative opinion--if you go to a school with a well-established pre-med track record and pre-med committee process, it may be beneficial to follow their suggestions.

This magical unicorn exists?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lawlz. SDN University.

The curve would be insane.

Do exercise science if you're interested in that. It won't hurt you, and if you're interested in it, it's in your best interest to do something you're more likely to invest in.

One possible drawback of taking an easy major is that it might not adequately prepare you for the more rigorous and hard-hitting classes like, say biochemistry. In a similar vein, the MCAT might require more studying from you as your are not getting a thorough and elaborate foundation that you might with a Biology/Physics/Chemistry/Microbio/etc degree, in which you would likely destroy that respective section.
However, getting a high GPA will likely be easier, and since AdCom's are generally pretty blind to majors, that would benefit you. Also, if you are interested in it, you could tie it into some larger theme on your app, which could help make you stand out.

In your situation, the above doesn't seem to matter. It's surprising that there is so much overlap. I assume you can't double major because of this, but if you could that would solve both sides of the issue and you wouldn't have that much extra work to do for it.

Last edited:
I agree that your major does not matter; as long it is not Communications. :)

As for your pre-med advisor, understand that many advisors unfortunately give bad advice. For instance, my advisor told me to apply later in the cycle so that all the gunners' applications have been reviewed and I am not placed in a pile beside them. Considering I have a poor undergrad GPA, this was terrible advice any way you look at it.

I also agree with the above comments about supplementing your course schedule with some other upper-level science courses such as Physiology, Genetic, Biochemistry, etc... Just be certain to get As and you will look good.

kinesiology major checking in

I swear people don't even think about the fact that you still need to take the med school prereqs. If you ace those classes, it's pretty safe to say you're not being carried (GPA wise) by your major's relative ease. There's also a standardized test that sees how much you know, if I remember correctly? The mdog or something

OP, major in what you enjoy. Get your A's in the pre reqs and crush the MCAT. And it's still true: a BME student with a 3.4 is not looked upon better than an ex sci student with a 3.9. If you listen to this board's adcoms they'll tell you the same.

Reactions: 2 users
I am an Exercise Science major and just got accepted. Go for it. It will provide you with valuable perspective on physical activity's utility in preventative medicine, which is growing more important. Just make sure you do great in all premed prereqs

i go to a small college and am also in a similar situation. ive talked to several different advisors in my school's pre-health advisory group, & they recommend i avoid doing a "soft" major [which i happen to be passionate about] and instead go for something more science integrated (biology or biochem major). i know what they are saying is stupid, according to student doctor network members, but face a crucial problem:

these advisors are part of my premed commitee as well, and will definitely as me questions like "why did you choose [soft major] over [a hard science major]", etc. during my commitee interview. My response to them would be that im passionate about the [soft major classes], but they would notice that i came to them and did not listen to their advice. might negatively affect my commitee letter.

what should i do then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. I've heard time and time again that your major does not matter for medical school. But today my premed advisor threw me a curve ball and recommended I do not major in exercise science and sport studies (ESSS), a relatively new major at my large public university, as it is considered a "soft-science" and a pre-physical therapy major. She also told me that some medical schools would look at my application and see that I was an exercise science major and see that the course work is not as difficult as say, a biology major's would be. Is my premed advisor simply wrong? I was wondering what difference it would make since plenty of "softer majors" such as psychology or art majors somehow end up in medical school too.

My dilemma is that I am genuinely interested in exercise science and I feel as though I will actually be able to provide information to adcoms when they ask me why I chose that as my major, as opposed to a "harder science" major which I really have no reason to pursue other than "it's a hard science and my premed advisor advised me to do so".

My other option would be to become a molecular biology major, which involves pretty much the same coursework as exercise science, but requires genetics and biochemistry, as opposed to anatomy and physiology courses for the exercise science major. Would genetics and biochemistry benefit me more than anatomy and physiology for the 2015 MCAT?

Any opinions on what I should do? Any other ESSS majors have any luck applying to medical schools?

Do you think maybe she said this because the major has a lot of required courses that do not overlap with the premedical required courses? Does it have any extra requirements that could hinder your ability to exceed in your premedical studies and activities?

There are bad advisers that tell premeds to avoid majors because they don't think highly of those majors, and there are good advisers that will warn premeds about majors with a lot of required courses that would be difficult to fit in with the schedule.

Most likely your premed adviser is just a bad adviser, but still think about whether you can be a successful premed in this major. We (SDN posters) don't know what your major requires or whether it is conducive to premedical studies and activities. You need to take some time to think it over given what you know of the major, what you are capable of, and whether your interest in the major will make the hassle worth it.

Your major doesn't matter if you get a competitive GPA and MCAT. If you end up with a low 3.2 GPA, don't expect to get as much sympathy as a hard science or engineering major. The people in admissions will each have their own opinions about your choice of major, I don't think there will ever be a clear consensus.

Kinesiology major, as well. Though I can't tell you how it's helped me with admissions and applying (since I haven't yet), here's a list of my opinions on the matter.

1) I felt that taking "History of Vertebrates" would be a complete waste of time, money and brain cells just to be a biology major. All the scribes I worked with during my undergrad were so miserable with their "pre-med" degree plans and I enjoyed laughing at their silly research projects involving turtles, snakes and other reptiles.
2) All the pre-reqs required for medical school admission were completed in my electives, which is ultimately what matters when applying, I should think. Graduated in 4 years without any major issues with my degree while taking the pre-reqs, so it wasn't difficult to do both.
3) There are challenging classes in the degree (biomechanics, exercise physiology, A&P 2), but for the most part, yes, it is an easier degree. Most of the people who choose it want to be coaches, trainers, etc., while also getting their teaching certifications.

There's nothing against political science and finance majors (or any other non-science related degrees) when applying because they fulfilled their pre-reqs just like everyone else. I can't see kinesiology being terribly far off the spectrum. Your advisor is probably airing on the side of familiarity and what's typical of applicants.

Do it! I'm a biochem major, but wish I would have taken more nutrition/exercise classes.

How does your "soft" major prepare you for life if you decide not to go to medical school? (Or if med schools make that decision for you?)
Consider also the careers a BS in Biology sets you up for. (But don't consider that too long because it's depressing)

Then, after you've made up your mind, go back and talk to them again and explain how you carefully considered their advice, but decides to do ___ for X, Y and Z reasons.