Premed Advisors (Screwing me over!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicagopremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

First time poster. I go to the U of Chicago. And my premed advising office hasn't sent my LORs out.

They have had my LOR completed since August 1st and been sitting on their thumbs until now.

They have this new secretary there whose been really rude and impatient whenever I politely call to check on my status.

Ugh!!!! it's like mid september and my LORs aren't even out. What pisses me off the most is the hypocrisy. They tell us to get our things in early and the advantages of doing that (a whole two pages is dedicated to this in our "premed" packet) but they've been sitting on my premed packet since by May 1st and what I don't understand is my letter is complete and they won't send the damn thing. I'm just enraged right now and watching my opportunities and chances of getting into a school period slipping thru my fingers.

I've finished most of my secondaries. In fact I have turned in most of them by now, heeding their advice of getting things in early. Some schools have been waiting for my LORs to complete the app for like two and half months.

This is so frustrating guys. Sorry to vent but I don't know whether I'm overreacting or just being realistic. I don't know what do... Any other bitter U of cers here?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a scanner, why dont you bring your scanner in and let them borrow it until they get their own...

Sure.. its a ridiculous.. but so is having them sit on your letters for 2 months..

bonez318ti said:
If you have a scanner, why dont you bring your scanner in and let them borrow it until they get their own...

Sure.. its a ridiculous.. but so is having them sit on your letters for 2 months..

yeah i wished it were only that simple. I would buy them a scanner if I could right now.

I don't even understand why they need to scan it in, why can't they just mail it out like I have with my applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally understand your pain...good luck with that though.

i think some schools are now on this "virtual eval" thing, where they can just email all your letters over to a bunch of schools - it's a lot easier, cheaper and faster than copying it, putting it in envelops, and mailing it.

that's probably why they want to scan them.

Don't worry

my pre-med committee doesn't even meet till Sept 14th ha ha ha and they gave me deadlines like June 15th and June 30th to get all my letters in....... can you believe that.........i hope the med schools did not make it a requirement to get a pre-med committee letter mandatory :(

I am upset but what can I do except for other people who finished everything after me get interviews before me in the rolling-admissioins school :(

oh well few more days I guess

kiwie07 said:
i totally understand your pain...good luck with that though.

i think some schools are now on this "virtual eval" thing, where they can just email all your letters over to a bunch of schools - it's a lot easier, cheaper and faster than copying it, putting it in envelops, and mailing it.

that's probably why they want to scan them.

it would make me feel better if the advisors would like keep us in touch about how the process is going but one is on a vacation and the other emailed us once, saying that they would start sending them out last week thursday. UGH!

Chicagopremed said:
Hi guys:

First time poster. I go to the U of Chicago. And my premed advising office hasn't sent my LORs out.

They have had my LOR completed since August 1st and been sitting on their thumbs until now. I've called already like three times a week, since mid August (Which was what I assumed when they would send it). Each time, I get the same response, we're waiting for the scanning machine to come in. we'll have it out by the end of the week.

They have this new secretary there whose been really rude and impatient whenever I politely call to check on my status.

Ugh!!!! it's like mid september and my LORs aren't even out. What pisses me off the most is the hypocrisy. They tell us to get our things in early and the advantages of doing that (a whole two pages is dedicated to this in our "premed" packet) but they've been sitting on my premed packet since by May 1st and what I don't understand is my letter is complete and they won't send the damn thing. I'm just enraged right now and watching my opportunities and chances of getting into a school period slipping thru my fingers.

I've finished most of my secondaries. In fact I have turned in most of them in early July, heeding their advice of getting things in early. Some schools have been waiting for my LORs to complete the app for like two and half months.

This is so frustrating guys. Sorry to vent but I don't know whether I'm overreacting or just being realistic. I don't know what do... Any other bitter U of cers here?

this is why the staff at med schools is an important factor to consider. some med schools love their students and will do almost anything to accomodate them. at others, you will find much of the same treatment.

bump.

Is there anything I can do? Anyone still waiting on LORs?

how about talk with someone who has authority over those ppl on the premed committee, maybe like the dean or president or somebody. just a thought! ;)