premed blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.day

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely stressed out! Can anyone out there relate? I am a non-trad (31) who is currently taking science classes I didn't take when I was in college previously. I will be applying to med schools in June and taking the April MCAT. Currently, I am taking Calc, organic, and physics and it really sucks! I feel like there is not even close to enough time during the day to do all that I need to do. I don't have a "real" job, but I do tutor, and let me tell you, whenever I see that someone has signed up for me, I just scream inside because that's just one more hour taken away from my day! Under normal circumstances I probably would not be so stressed, but its the fact that this is my last year of classes before applying so I want to have excellent grades. Plus, when am I going to study for the MCAT? I've looked at study books and all that info that I'm sure I learned at one point has completely left my brain! I feel like there is so much pressure on me (admittedly that I place on myself) that I just might spontaneously combust! Unlike most people who post on here, I don't care where I get in, I just pray to God that I get in somewhere! It took me a long time to realize this is what I wanted to do and I honestly can not think of anything else I want to do with my life. What am I going to do if I don't get in? I am taking my classes at a community college and we don't have a premed advisor or any kind of premed group so I really don't have anyone to talk to about these things. My friends and family don't understand it...they say "don't worry, you'll get in". Well, what do they know? They don't know how competitive it all is and how much pressure there is to do it all so your application is perfect. I guess I am just looking to hear from those of you who understand the pressure since I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it. It is really hard for me to read all these posts from those of you who have already applied and are getting interviews from top schools. I can't relate to that...I'd be perfectly happy at our state school!
Sorry this is so long, but I needed to get it out!:(

Members don't see this ad.

calc organic and physics! Wow. What have you taken already? gen chem and bio I assume.....friends and family can be dificult in situations like this. Mine are ALWAYS saying, "Don't worry, you'll do it". Uh, thanks grandma. Yeah I can do well but it is VERY competitive. I think they realize that though and just have a lot of faith in me. Now I hope I CAN do well.;)

Whoa Dr Day! When I took Calculus I was also taking GenChem I plus Lab and working full-time. I used to spontaneously start cyring at 1:30 am when I'd been studying the *&^&%$ Calculcus all night and still got my problem sets wrong. I had a weekly tutor not only for the comprehension help which I definitley needed, but also because I thought I was going to lose my mind, or lose my job or lose my new-found career interest.

My friend, this is a seriously heavy courseload. When I took OrgI/II and my PhysI/II I found I had to basically sit in the library ALL day from 8:00 am to about 11:00 and just go over and over the material. Maybe I am dumber than other people but that's what it took for me. Also, there's this weird psycological thing that took over where I felt like an alien or another person and completly dissociated from my normal life. Post tramatic stress disorder?

I live here in NYC and last year at 9/11 I continued to study my organic II (plus Lab) and to work in my research lab - where there was no mention hardly of what had happened 70 blocks away. How's that for weird science. Now a year later I am stunned to see all the pictures and hear the stories. Where was I when this happened? In this other dimension.

You are definitely not alone; and it's a good sign that you are begining to freak out about it. What can you you to maximize your sit down with books time? can you hire a great tutor to help you move thru this stuff better and reduce stress? Can you just be as poor as anything to buy yourself some more free time? When I set out to study for the MCAT this summer, I sublet my apartment for more money, sublet a cheap medical student's apartment and then just help my breath financially until the 17th of August. Somehow, it just worked out.

Is there some "crazy" seeming plan that might shift your life around so that you can get thru this nutty semester? I am older too, and I know how hard is to juggle everything. I used to take 19 credits as an undergrad, but now I am a mess with 8 plus all other life committments. Talk to us, we know. :love: ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dr. Day!

Ouch, what a busy schedule. Unfortunately, I think I can sympathize because my courseload is similiar to yours. I am also taking physics, o-chem, diff eq, and a discrete/combinatorial math course, and also tutoring in math and I feel there isnt enough hours in a day. I study all day(even weekends and fridays) and am still behind!!! All I can say is to keep your eyes on the goal!!!!!!!!

Good Luck! I know you can make it!

I can definetly feeling your pain Dr. Day. I am taking a crazy load of Organic Chem lecture/Lab, Genetics Lecture/Lab, Physics Lecture/Lab, Sociology, Religion and volunteering, research, tutoring and other campus activities. Its like my social life went 0 since school started and the more I study the more behind I get. go figure:laugh: :mad: +pissed+ I am going crazy, well not really, I love the challenge.

hi dr. day!

wow, you're taking on a lot... let me just give you pause to breathe here a bit. seriously, do you have an outlet of some sort that you enjoy doing, that relaxes you, puts a smile on your face? trust me - make time to do it. sing. run. knit. weave baskets. do something, take the time to do something that makes you happy. otherwise if you just keep piling it on with more and more stress, you'll burn out. i've been there. no fun.

that aside, best of luck. just know that you *will* get through it. we're all still fuddering along here, too, and we will always listen to your vents. in the meantime, schedule yourself an hour just to do something for pure enjoyment. the rewards are priceless.

Dr. Day,

I feel for you, brother. :( We all need our places and times to vent, and an internet community like this is a great place to do it. I, like you, am an older, non-traditional applicant. I am doing a post-bac program. I made a very difficult choice to take classes for one summer and two full years instead of one summer and one year. I had just finished an extremely difficult period in my life and, frankly, didn't feel I could function well in an enviornment where I had to take everything at once. By spreading it out a little I am able to work part-time, volunteer in the hospital and the research lab, take my courses and MCATs and still have free time now and then to have a life.

Take my advice, Dr. Day... take a time out for yourself and think about dropping one of your lab classes and save it and the MCAT for next year. At your age, one more year is not going to hurt your chances, your grades might go up, and you might just save yourself some serious emotional stress. All the best, and good luck to you in your future medical endeavors.

Dr. Day,

persevere! I know that it's tough right now..gotta hang in there, and rely on God, family, and friends to get you through this. I know you'll make it if you put your mind to it! :)

Hi,
I just want to thank everyone for the support. Its good to know that there are people out there who understand. The course-load is not easy, but its all the other stuff that keeps me feeling like I am sinking. I know I will get through it, but it has been hard w/o someone to talk to who gets it. I no longer feel as isolated as I have over the last few weeks w/ my head in the books.
Thanks again.
the future dr. day!
P.S. Anyone have study suggestions for org chem? Also, anyone planning on going to Southern Illinois?

I'd just like to say boo ****ing hoo. I am currently taking Gen Chem, Gen Bio, Calc, Anthropology, while also working 15-20 hours a week and running for student government. All pre-meds are in the same boat, stop complaining and just suck it up.

great bedside manner, GreenWave Will...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm a little pissed at the moment. I have tests in chem, bio, and calc in the next 4 days, and i also have a 6 page lab report due for chem tuesday. I'm going to kill myself (sarcasm).

I definitely agree. Having a schedule like we do really makes me hate those people who do nothing but sleep late, take easy classes like English, Archaeology, and Art History, and party all night. I mean, come on! I wish I didn't have to take 16 credits of a chemistry major, which includes biochem and instrumental chem (yuck), undergrad research, and genetics, and have to work 17 hours a week on top of that and have family responsibilities. But it all does pay off in the end, so stay strong!

And woolie, I COMPLETELY emphathize with u (and everybody else taking Calc). The semester I took my last calc class, single variable calc, I took orgo, quantitative analysis, math, and physiology all in the same semester--it turned out to be the worst semester (stress- and grade-wise) of my life. (Don't ask--I had no idea what I was getting into at the time) But i survived, and things have gotten better. I had no idea what happened--I used to love math!

Members don't see this ad :)
and you're expecting sympathy here after that nasty comment to dr. day? :rolleyes:

Did I ask for sympathy? No. I was simply explaining why I'm pissed off.

thanks to everybody who is not a jack@ss!
Just so you know I was not looking for sympathy. I was just looking to find that there are other people out there with the same type of issues. Like I said before it isn't that the class load is that difficult, it is everything else on top of it! I don't have a real job, but I do tutor for several classes (approx 10 hrs/wk), volunteer with the red cross and jaycees, study for the MCAT, and try to hold my family together. The worst pressure is the fact that I did not do that well in college the first time around and am trying to do exceptional now to make up for it...any screw ups now and I haven't got a shot at my dream.
I am sorry that some of you are having to work your butts off and are becomming complete jerks in the meantime! I personally will NOT let the stress make me into some creep!

Okay I don't get it, if you are non-trad and have to make up for older not so hot grades why in the world are you taking this insane courseload plus volunteering plus tutoring plus family? what is the rush? You are already a non-trad one more year will not shoot your application down the drain but one bad grade may not be good..just my 0.2

no, Northerner, not you....I love Bon Jovi (and Boulder!)...I will definately have to try that song!
Thanks

I second SWM's point.... GreenWave, your post had no point except to draw attention to yourself. If we all have problems and we should all just "suck it up", why do take the time to make a whole other post to explain all your problems to us? ...

Oh, Your just venting?:mad:
If you need to vent than write it out in a post like other mature people on this board and let the community talk you through it. You don't have the right to abusively lash out at someone because your under pressure. It shows a complete lack of empathy for other people that borders on narcissism, and it doesn't bode well for you as a future doctor.

i'd just like to say that it is nice to see all the chiming in of support for dr. day (and other members) who need(s) a forum to just get some wind out and have their frustrations aired (in a non-hostile manner). i'm still relatively new to this, but i have vented on occasion, and whether or not people understand or can relate to the vent, the majority of members at least come thru with a show of support.

just wanted to say it's nice to see that. :) and it makes people more comfortable posting. and it helps to feel like someone is on your side. and and and ... ok i'll stop now. :)

GreenWave--so it is okay to take it out on someone else just cause you feel "pissed off"???
If this is your MO, you will become like a certain abominable abdominal surgeon I unfortunately know of. When things go wrong, he lashes out at others and freq makes the nurses cry. Needless to say he is NOT well liked on his floor ...(& BTW conseq has to deal with a higher than norm turnover of staff)

It can always be challenging to undergo such stressful things as medschool...yadayadayada...So seriously you hang in there!!!!! If you can consider dropping one of your classes until you have more time.If you get too stressed out you are certainly not going to want to have the MCAT to deal with too.Altho it depends on what works for you.Some people work really well under stress,some just need moments to vent.I think when you start to feel overwhelmed you have to step back a minute or too.Give yourself a dinner out or something.It seems sometimes we get so busy trying to make our applications "look" so good that we don't have time to make our applications look good!! If you take too many classes at once and your gpa suffers have you really done yourself any favors?
You alone know what your limitations are.You know what you are capable of doing.Get a moment to yourself,relax and "begin-again". Keep your eyes focused on the goal and know that you are not alone in this sometime insane race.
Aside whisper...( Can you like repeat these words back to me when *I* get knee deep in *my* pre-reqs?????;) )
Anyway let us know how you are doing and good luck! We are rooting for you!!!

2badr,
that is exactly what I needed! This weekend I did take some time off and went for a 30 mile bike ride to regroup. I feel much more focused now and am ready for the challenge of this week. I have decided to drop my tutoring (and maybe get a tutor of my own!) since I don't really like it and it was just something to have on my applications. I would prefer to do my volunteer stuff when I have free time instead. I know I can handle this semester, especially since I have most of you on my side!
Thank you so much. Take care of yourself and don't let yourself get to the point I was!
dr. day

I second the tutor option! I honestly found it incredibly helpful to have a really sharp graduate student (that's who I used to get, I would just call the grad. offices and ask: who's a good tutor?) sit down with me and just "talk chemistry/physics" etc. I would ask my problem questions, and also those questions I was too self-conscious to ask out loud in class. Also, and this might sound wimpy, I liked having the one-on-one attention from this really knowledgeable person. It really boosted my confidence and my endurance and made me feel I could somehow balance this crazy schedule. I don't know about other people, but in my school pre-meds are REALLY competitive and I found myself isolated and alone and combined with my millions of study hours by myself I would watch my mental state really deteriorate. Maybe we can all identify with this, I don't know. So this is another reason the tutors helped to ground me and focus me on what was really essential, etc. It helped to really lower my anxiety alot.

Check out Oldpremeds.net too, our sister site for old-sters who are also balancing this stuff. Also, dealing with the "oh my God, I have to do this all now and be perfect, etc." They're a helpful bunch. But so are we!! Keep the faith man! :clap:

i feel yea. i am co-president of the muslim student assoication, In alpha chi sigma, have to go to both of their events, taking 17 units (pre-calc, genetics with lab, physics with lab and history of medicine.)

hang in there u all. we can get through this together.