Premed classes and working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps telling me that you cant be pre-med and have a job. I want to work 20 hrs a week, and people think that its impossible. I know that alot of studying is envolved, but if I don't work, I'll worry myself to death about money. I can barely afford my college and, while most of my money will be earned on spring break and summer vacation, I still want to have a steady part time job. Anyone have experience or insight to offer? I would work on campus, but since its my first year all that's really offered is dining hall work, which I truly dont want to do. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nubian,

During my entire premed career I've worked 30-35 hours a week, both on and off campus. I've done well academically, so I think working 20 hours a week would be fine. However, since it's your first semester, maybe you should wait until next semester to get a job, just to make sure you don't get overwelmed.

But saying premed is "impossible" with a job is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with racegirl. To get into medical school, you need more than your good grades anyway. You need to learn to manage your time so that you are able to participate in extracurriculars, volunteer, study for the MCAT, etc. So, why shouldn't you be able to have a job? Personally, I killed two birds with one stone, working in a hospital did more for me than boost my resume for med school. I definately needed the money too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some would question why...but...

During my Premed years, I worked one full time job (approx 50 hours per week), and a part time lab job (approx 20 hours per week). I earned approx $300,000 during my five years of undergrad.

I had semesters that ranged from 12 to 20 hours of course work. This included a year of A&P, Organic, Physics, Ecology, Micro (four lab classes per semester). Also, I am a double major in Computer Science and Biology. I also earned my computer certifications (microsoft systems engineer, novell etc.) during the first two years of course work.

I still managed to pull a 3.98 during the entire five years (damn that organic chem). Additionally, I pulled hundreds of hours of community service/volunteer work.

Remember, there are 168 hours in a week. Your body is tough and can handle the extra work, and your mind is much tougher than your bod. Let know one tell you what can and cannot be done.

oops...make that no one...heh heh

Oh yes, I almost forgot to tell yo the secret...lots and lots (and lots) of coffee...

Hey Loki! I saw you are from wichita KS... So am I... Did you go to WSU? Thats where I have been going for the last year and a half, but because of scheduling restraints (I work full time) I am going to Newman and Friends as well this semester :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Loki:
•Some would question why...but...

During my Premed years, I worked one full time job (approx 50 hours per week), and a part time lab job (approx 20 hours per week). I earned approx $300,000 during my five years of undergrad.

I had semesters that ranged from 12 to 20 hours of course work. This included a year of A&P, Organic, Physics, Ecology, Micro (four lab classes per semester). Also, I am a double major in Computer Science and Biology. I also earned my computer certifications (microsoft systems engineer, novell etc.) during the first two years of course work.

I still managed to pull a 3.98 during the entire five years (damn that organic chem). Additionally, I pulled hundreds of hours of community service/volunteer work.

Remember, there are 168 hours in a week. Your body is tough and can handle the extra work, and your mind is much tougher than your bod. Let know one tell you what can and cannot be done.•

I'm sorry I just dont buy this. You're saying you worked over 70 hours a week while attending school full time at least 12 hours per semester????

Did you go to the school during the day and work all night or something?

Lets say you were in class from 8 AM to 12 PM solid. And then went to work after that. In order to put in 70 hours a week, on average you'd have to work from 12 PM to midnight 6 days of the week.

I worked third shift as a computer/electronics technician (12:00pm to 8:00) every night with about 4 days off a month. I squeezed in the lab work between classes.

I was only able to do this as a result of the graveyard hours. And the way it was done...no sleep...I slept an average of 2 hours a night for five years. It was hell...

I slept in libraries, my lab and in my car between classes.

I know...hard to believe...but I have the grades and the tax statments as proof.

BTW...Twelve hours is my low semester...I kept this same schedule during some 18 and 20 hour semesters (I have accumulated 170 credit hours from scratch during the five years)

I did take one month off to study for the MCAT last summer.

Oh yeah...during the semester breaks, 100+ work weeks are not uncommon. For example this summer, I contended with the AMCAS mess, started and completed an electrical engineering research and design project. T/A a dryfus chemistry camp for high school students (including eperiment design). Put in 100 hours taking calls for a crises center. Took a promotion to First Sergeant of 70 men and women for my Air National Guard weekend gig...Stayed married (a miracle)...etc...etc...etc..etc...

And this was a slow summer with no classes...

I love pain (grin)

I love work!

Oops...I intended to write midnight to 8:00am..see what sleep deprivation does to the mind..

Originally posted by MacGyver:
•I'm sorry I just dont buy this. You're saying you worked over 70 hours a week while attending school full time at least 12 hours per semester????

Did you go to the school during the day and work all night or something?

Lets say you were in class from 8 AM to 12 PM solid. And then went to work after that. In order to put in 70 hours a week, on average you'd have to work from 12 PM to midnight 6 days of the week.•

I don't know...I work 60+ a week, carry 10hrs. (sciences with labs) pre med and have kids that I don't think I'm screwing up too bad. I also volunteer. It's definitely doable with LOTS of time management and solid priorities.

Nubian -- the best advice I think I could give you is to realize that no decision is permanent. If working doesn't fit, you can always quit. Start small -- ten hours a week or 5 and build your way up. Many times we don't realize how much free time we really have until we start looking around for it. You might want to keep a journal or day planner for a couple of weeks and write down EVERYTHING you do. That's another way of getting an idea if you have the time. Also, who your boss is will be very important. If you do choose to work, you want to try to find an enviroment that is flexible and supportive. That way if you have to put in a little less one week but make it up the next, it won't be as big of a deal.

good luck,
mj

Originally posted by Loki:
•BTW...Twelve hours is my low semester...I kept this same schedule during some 18 and 20 hour semesters (I have accumulated 170 credit hours from scratch during the five years)

I did take one month off to study for the MCAT last summer.

Oh yeah...during the semester breaks, 100+ work weeks are not uncommon. For example this summer, I contended with the AMCAS mess, started and completed an electrical engineering research and design project. T/A a dryfus chemistry camp for high school students (including eperiment design). Put in 100 hours taking calls for a crises center. Took a promotion to First Sergeant of 70 men and women for my Air National Guard weekend gig...Stayed married (a miracle)...etc...etc...etc..etc...

And this was a slow summer with no classes...

I love pain (grin)

I love work!•

OK that makes a little more sense now that I see how you fit all that in.

You said you were a computer science major but then you talk about an electrical engineering project.

Were you a double major in EE and comp sci? I ask this because comp sci majors dont get the kind of training you need for hardware design required for EE work (i.e. several microelectronics courses, microprocessor design, VLSI design)

Comp sci majors are very adept at software but their hardware training is minimal. Did you just learn that stuff on your own or what?

Want to work...three letters: EMT.

You can work 48 hours a week and take a full course load with time to spare. Why, cause you can do all your studying inbetween patients. If you work a night shift, you may go hours between patients. I actually studied for the MCAT using this method (though I don't recommend it cause I would get jet lag on practice test days from the graveyard hours).

The best part isn't the money though, you will gain insight about humanity, patient care, ethics, the pressures of life or death, the hassles of the medical field, etc. etc. etc. If you don't like being an EMT, you can change career directions before you get stuck in medical school and it's too late.

DAMN...that's all I can say...you guys make me feel like such a damn slacker...
I swear...300K ???? are you friggin kidding me? I guess cuz it's computer science you had a 30 dollar an hour paying job (like my friend had before he got laid off). I am really impressed b/c you were able to stay married as well. Nice job. So what did you do for fun during all this time? Did you have a life? I guess I could say I put in hundreds of hours to the gym each year. That was my main way to vent. I missed a total of 16 days at the gym during my freshman and sophomore year of college. I cut back in my junior and senior year due to other reasons...but jeez, I just can't see how anyone can do that work as an undergrad and still get a 3.98. I have a hard time believing it...but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

However, I must say your lifestyle is not for me and probably the majority of this board. I felt like so helpless my senior year when I was working on my senior thesis project. I was in lab roughly 40 hours a week (sometimes more, sometimes less), taking 15 units, volunteering as a teacher for young children 3 hours a week, and trying to keep a girlfriend happy. I suppose I could have used my weekends more wisely, but half the time I was in lab on the weekends so it didn't matter. I even skipped my last spring break of college to work in lab to catch up on some things b/c my project was not working! So, while you are obviously super human, I think the original poster can have a job; but he should also not overdo it. This is college right now. Enjoy your life while trying to make the most of it. My stress levels rose, enjoyment sank, and memory of what happened during my senior year disappeared all b/c of working in lab and trying to do too many things at once. If you spread yourself thin, no one will benefit.

I think it can be done also........I have had 3 jobs that I work alot at during the school year. I got to school MWF and then I work on the ambulance Tues/Thurs for 12 hour days, then saturday a 24 hour shift. SUnday is Off..

I've done allright with school and MCAT.

later

MacGyver:

I am a trained electronics technician...After H/S I received my AS in electrical engineering technology.

I worked in that field for 8 years before switching to the software side of the house. I do, however, still keep some of my hardware design skills sharp by taking on the odd EE job.

I started out my 4-year degree from scratch (none of my electronics tech stuff transferred, but still reportable to AMCAS oddly enough) by studying computer science.

Took gen chem I and got hooked on science->biology->medicine...etc...

Yes...a long sorted career path.

Scooby..

My life outside of work/school/community service is/was pretty limited (obviously). I do study/play the classical guitar for relief. My down time was spent guzzling coffee. Yeah, I think I over did it a bit; however, I am a non-traditional student and I wanted to put to rest any adcom doubt regarding my time management/ stamina.

I have spent 15 years in the Air National Guard. Prior to college, I traveled around the world and raced as a competitive cyclist in the Midwest region. I drank a hell of a lot of beer. And I had my share of good times. Now, I get more satisfaction out of my work and the impact that I have on people I'm helping.

I once heard an astronaut say something to effect of "God made us unequal, but he gave us all 24 hours in a day…use yours to create personal equality." I have lived this philosophy…it has served me well so far.

Plus a good wife helps by a magnitude of about a gazillion.

Note to self: racergirl, you are a slacker.

another note to self: racergirl, that Loki guy/girl is a lunatic (or a vampire). Do not compare yourself to Loki.

'nuff said.

sounds like I can make 20 hrs happen...

Originally posted by racergirl:

But saying premed is "impossible" with a job is absolutely ridiculous.•

Couldn't agree more.

I worked 20-30 hours/week on average all through college and did fine -- if my grades slipped it was because of social involvement, not work.

Some people swore by the jobs at the library, where you are checking out books, or monitoring people coming in and out of the building -- essentially getting paid to study.

I did a lot of secretarial work, especially transcription for profs. If you can type, I highly recommend this -- generally good pay and can be very flexible hours.

The only drawback to working for me was that I did not volunteer that much as a result -- I was not an "uber" premed, and just couldn't find time for full work weeks, 20-unit quarters, lab work, and volunteering, so something had to go. This probably hurt me at some schools, but I think others definitely appreciated the fact that I was working while in school, and paying for a good portion of my expenses.