premed clubs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there anything more tool'ish? Seriously...

Members don't see this ad.

No. But it depends on what you make of it. For example, at my school we have two premed clubs. AMSA and a homegrown one. AMSA sits on their butt most of the time and thinks they're cool because they're national.. the homegrown one is very active.

But this was a few years ago when I was involved, might have changed, you know anything about this Slick?

sometimes there are interesting speakers, but there is always free pizza!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got awesome leadership experience from one that transferred to the work that I'm doing now...

no offense but i avoided premed clubs cuz i wanted to avoid premeds (there were enough of them in my classes!)

Originally posted by spaz
no offense but i avoided premed clubs cuz i wanted to avoid premeds (there were enough of them in my classes!)

i stayed away from their elitist club. guy cant get any questions answered if i dont have that 3.7 gpa seriously...

for the most part with sdn as an alternative i think they arent that useful...other than the free food i never got my hands on.

i wouldnt put it on my app if I was a member of one. If I was the interview I would immediately think "toolbag". Seriously, it just seems like there are so many cool clubs to join and such limited time, why would you spend yours hanging around premeds talking about how to better your apps.

i am rather bored, would someone care to come to this thread and argue with me? We can flame each other for a few minutes and forget teh boredome we are experiencing.

Wow, it makes me wonder what kind of schools y'all went to! :confused: I totally wanted to be around other premeds in my school because they were absolutely cool! One of the great things about my schools advising system was the way students were integrated into academic life...Group work was totally promoted, and there was no pressure in any way to compete.

My ugrad premeds were absolutely supportive, and did all sorts of cool stuff. I have no doubts the will go on to rock the world...I guess it shows in their attitudes to the profession...about half of my very close premed friends went DO, and a few others were Dental/PH, etc.

Sheesh, y'all! If it was so bad hanging around other premeds, how will you survive med school? Makes me wonder...:)

Originally posted by spaz

*nods*

Premed Organizations

Here's my take. This year, I was an officer in two organizations, and what I realized is that they are not half as important as actually going out there and doing something of the clinical or research nature when getting into medical school.

These organizations can and cannot be useful depending on what you make of it.

For intance, another poster mentioned that AMSA sits and does nothing. That is much as it is at my school, because people are ignorant to what AMSA really is and how to really make it beneficial to students.

The AMSA promotes various reformation solutions to medical education disparities, and healthcare disparities, that are both national and international as well as international and national internship opportunities at places like Washington D.C.

If you use the AMSA as a tool to gain knowledge of the ailing healthcare system, you will find it more beneficial that the person that uses it as a way to tell people 20 times and over what to do to get into medical school.

Originally posted by Cerberus
is there anything more tool'ish? Seriously...

Yeah, things like AMSA and any elected position in your medical school class (except "Social Chair"). Seriously, dude, if you think people belonging to pre-med clubs to burnish their resume is toolish wait until you see what the same people do once they get into medical school.

I will not categorically deny having ever kissed some ass but I seriously draw the line at anything who's principle function is to make my resume look good. This is the most pathetic reason engage in any activity and I imagine it is completely transparent to anybody who might haveto evaluate you.

Originally posted by mosoriire

Sheesh, y'all! If it was so bad hanging around other premeds, how will you survive med school? Makes me wonder...:)

not that all premeds are bad (though you do meet a bunch of bad apples in your classes), but i also like hanging out with and meeting non-premeds (so refreshing to talk to people who aren't constantly worried about grades).
i figure i already meet enough premeds in classes and clinical volunteering, plus i have a bunch of premed friends already, so why not join clubs/do extracurriculars that are not health-related?
but yes, i hope to attend a med school that has other grad programs or is on the same campus as undergrad... i would feel so isolated at a school that's completely med.

Pssst!

Don't eat the food in pre-med clubs. You never know when a gunner pre-med loses it after getting a C- in that BioChem midterm and poisons the rest of the club.

Avoid pre-med clubs like the plague.