PreMed Composite Letter: Yes/No/Consequences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitzkrieg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sending most of my schools a packet of letters, without a composite letter.

Why?

the premed committee hasn't been able to meet for 6 months, and wont be able to meet for @ least another 1.5 months. I feel that the timing of the committee meeting would kill me...I already have all my LORs in and ready to be sent in a packet..

Will this hurt me very badly?

Members don't see this ad.

i doubt this would hurt your application significantly, since many schools don't even have premedical committees.

bikini mama,

where all did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar problem.....my school wont send out a composite letter until i have an MCAT score bc they require me to have a minumum score. And there is no guarantee i even get that score so why should i bother to wait 2 months? I'm sending a packet also. I Think some schools ask u write a statement as to why u arent using their service tho. I guess is looks bad if u have it but dont use it. My other issue is that i dont have any letters from liberal arts professors. I've been doin post bacc and am now in grad school so all i have the last 2 yrs is science. Oh well i hope they can understand.

you might want to consider saying that you will update with it - if they know your school uses the letter, and you aren't using the service, it raises eye brows. just a thought -

some schools require you to submit the pre-med committee letter if your school has such a committee... be careful

My school does offer a committee letter and I opted not to use it for numerous reasons. I don't think that it is wise to send everything in together. For security reasons, LORs are never supposed to touch an applicants hands. I gave my professors stamped addressed envelopes and that is how I circumvented the whole committee package. This did not affect me at all, in fact many of my interviewers got to know specific things about me and I received interviews at all the schools I applied to.