1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Premed Curriculum

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Panchicu, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Panchicu

Panchicu Junior Member

I have a B.S. social sciece from Cornell U (3.0 gpa) and decided to become a doctor. I have
    finished half of my premed courses (all A's) at a local community college. My wife is active Air
    Force and we will be transfering to Hawaii and I will have to finish the rest of the courses at
    another school. Will this hurt? Or should I stay behind and finish everything in one school??? I
    am also concern because if I take half of my premed courses in one place, and half in another
    university, the Premed commitee may be reluctant to write an otherwise complete and
    wholesome letter of recommendation. Any thoughts?

------------------

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. galadriel

galadriel Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical schools in general are loathe to condsider courses taken at community colleges as at the same competitive level at 4 year colleges. If you go to Hawaii, don't take any more comm college courses now. In Hawaii, your only choice is the University of Hawaii.

4. galadriel

galadriel Member
    10+ Year Member

At the U. Hawaii Manoa, the premedical advisor is:

Lynne M. Higa
    808 956 8646
    FAX: 808 956 9796
    Email: [email protected]

Get in touch with her right away. Tell her what you want to do. Ask her what application a postbac student must use. etc.

I am Cornell, Ag.49

------------------

5. galadriel

galadriel Member
    10+ Year Member

Another afterthought. Before you leave San Antonio, try to arrange to get some letters from the faculty at the comm college. Let them know where you are going. They may not want to hand you the letters to bring yourself. In that case, tell them you may ask them to send them to the premed office at U. Hawaii after you get there. This is something else you ought to discuss with Lynne Higa before you actually move.
    If in the end your wife is stationed somewhere else, let me know. I will see what colleges are nearby and who the advisor is. But remember, 4 year colleges only from now on. [email protected]

6. jjmurphy

jjmurphy New Member

I just had to respond to yet another opinion regarding just how much med schools look down upon courses taken at community colleges. I took all but two of the required science courses at a community college and, so far, I have four interviews from the seven schools to which I've applied. In my estimation, an organic class is an organic class. The thing to concern yourself with is how well that course or instructor prepares you to take the MCAT. I felt very prepared, did well in my courses, and it's clear that MCV, GW, UVA and Georgetown aren't holding my comm. college courses against me. Those of us who have to take post-bac courses are often concerned with cost, especially when you add in application fees, etc. Community colleges offer us a cost-effective way to begin the arduous journey to medical school often made more arduous by people who imply that you are somehow an inferior candidate if you choose to go this route.