Premed Degree??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetstuff25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is the first time i'm using this forum and i've got a question -what degree would be most preferable for med skool.....general microbiology, major in micro or honours in micro.? Has anybody considered anything other than biology that might also be relavant in pursuing health career?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ohmigosh yes!

Don't limit yourself to biology or microbiology for that matter. There are soooo many other majors that are relevant in pursuing health care.

Look at it this way... in med school you will be up to your ears in bio, micro, etc., use your undergrad years to explore what else is out there.

I know Dr.'s who were Psychology, Philosophy, Comparative Religion, Chemestry Ed. Majors in college......I myself was psychology and would never regret having this major as I find it is immensely helpful in my pursuit of a health care career.

As long as you get your common pre-reqs fulfilled you should have more than enough time to fill in your schedule with interesting classes. I wish I had taken a wider variety of classes in my undergrad--(this coming from a BA in Psych!) You will find yourself to be very boring at parties if all you have ever learned about is science. :(

Just my two cents, but I think you will find the opinion is much the same across the board---major in science is not bad, but in no way is majoring in something else either.

i agree w/ befreedman - i decided that i would be dedicating my whole life to biology and medicine, so undergrad was my chance to do something different. so i majored in english, read a lot of books, minored in foreign language and took a lot of fun classes. in the end, i got a biology major too b/c it only took a few extra classes after the pre-med ones. but during interviews, everyone wanted to talk about books and foreign travel - NOBODY asked me about my micro class.
if you do something that interests you (doctors are supposed to be people patients can relate with - so having interests other than micro-bio or chem are actually a strength), you will stand out. if you think like you are just a pre-med, you will look like every other pre-med. as long as you do well in your science classes, do whatever you want b/c you will never get the chance to study so many different things at once... take advantage of it - you'll learn plenty of bio in med school, and it'll give you something interesting to talk about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and study the subjects that interest you. Med Schools don't care what your major is as long as you have the prereqs covered.

Wrigley

The premed prereqs (plus a couple more classes) will give you all the science background you need for med school. Pick something that you will enjoy for a major. If that happens to be bio, soo be it, but don't limit yourself. ADCOMs are looking for well rounded applicants.

Originally posted by sweetstuff25
Hello everybody, this is the first time i'm using this forum and i've got a question -what degree would be most preferable for med skool.....general microbiology, major in micro or honours in micro.? Has anybody considered anything other than biology that might also be relavant in pursuing health career?:confused:

history degree is the best!!!

Originally posted by sweetstuff25

Art, psychology, general science, chemistry, biology, physics, sociology, music, dance, yoga, philosophy, engineering, french, spanish, latin, german, russian, arabic, any of the 10,000 asian languages, business, math, accounting, or english are what medical schools are looking for.