Premed DIK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas or feelings as to why premeds are always portrayed as dicks or huge nerds in film? I have found that it is almost more prevelant than the stereotypical engineering nerd. Its kinda embarrassing to all of us normal premeds with good social lives. I guess thats what is so ****ty about stereotypes in the first place!

Members don't see this ad.

let's see...how many people here spend all day drooling over this site, obsessing about letters, grades, applications, etc. They get on here and act like jerks, culturally and racially insensitive (from both sides) and act like they know everything about anything academia. Let me start a thread entitled, "I need help with my astrophysics homework" and see how many people reply either acting like they know the answer, or thinking they do.

anything that's super competitive, whether it be pre-med or engineering or business, there are always going to be jerks and nerds.....pre-meds get the brunt b/c everyone has a high view of physicians, and those aspiring to be them are easy targets....oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I forgot to answer the question...because it's mostly true.

Definition of a nerd, taken from Webster's:
"One who vents in an online premed forum over being typcast a nerd"

Embrace Your Nerdism, Be Proud Of It, Yell Out Im A Geek And Im Happy!

the stereotypes have to arise somehow; its because many if not most premeds are like that, and same with engineers. maybe you are actually an abnormal premed, which is a good thing in this context.

gbiz said:
Embrace Your Nerdism, Be Proud Of It, Yell Out Im A Geek And Im Happy!

I'm wickid cool!!! Oh wait, look at my screen name. Maybe I should change it to "YetAnotherDork." :rolleyes:

Yeah there are plenty of arrogant bastards.... personally, I don't even tell people I'm doing the whole premed thing unless specifically asked. And if anyone asks me what I want to do after college, I simply say I would like to attend a professional school (and I stop there unless questioned further)

Some people say they are 'premed' like they have earned something, or like they are superior - and that pisses people off; and it should piss people off if you say it like that! As everyone here knows, premed is just a self-given title (unless your school actually has a premed major, even though it should probably just be called something along the lines of bio instead), you probably haven't done anything to earn it, and theres a pretty large chance you won't even end up in medical school.

it's like saying, hey, I'm pre-millionaire, or I'm pre-awesome.... haha

subzero0174 said:
Anyone have any ideas or feelings as to why premeds are always portrayed as dicks or huge nerds in film? I have found that it is almost more prevelant than the stereotypical engineering nerd. Its kinda embarrassing to all of us normal premeds with good social lives. I guess thats what is so ****ty about stereotypes in the first place!

van wilder was fricken awesome though, haha I like when the guy defecates in the small trash can near the end... haha

subzero0174 said:
Anyone have any ideas or feelings as to why premeds are always portrayed as dicks or huge nerds in film?

Despite what we want to believe, everyone in medical school is a nerd. The first step is to accept this fact. It doesn't matter how active a social life you have or even how many All-American honors you've won, if you are in medical school, you are a nerd. The realization of this sinks in about halfway through first year when you realize you can not go out with a group of friends without always talking about medicine or medical school despite conscious efforts to do otherwise. You'll also notice at social gatherings that you talk about how infrequently you study so you sound less nerdy. It's really, really sad. :(

gbiz said:
Definition of a nerd, taken from Webster's:
"One who vents in an online premed forum over being typcast a nerd"

I love it. :smuggrin: