premed father of 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2XY1XX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking around on this forum for years now and have not seen threads on this topic. I am the father of 3 beautiful children and husband to the most wonderful woman. Years ago, while serving in the military, I decided that I wanted to go to medical school. This was 3-4 years ago. I have since gotten out and started the pre-requisite course series. I am currently in Ochem 2 and Biochemistry. I just have physics (1+2) left. I am starting to second guess my choice in leaving active duty to pursue medical school. I always hear how medical school is so hard and time consuming and that it only gets worse in residency. The worry that I have is that I will miss my kids growing up. Not like miss a party here or there, or miss little league sports once in a while, but I have a serious concern that I will be, for all intents and purposes, absent. Is this a valid concern, or am I over thinking it.

I have also looked into PA several times over the last 3-4 years and have even shadowed a few PAs, but something keeps me interested in pursuing the MD or DO. The attraction to the MD/DO degree stems from the other aspects that are attached to the degree (leadership, administrative), coupled with the clinical aspect.

Anyway, I am probably rambling, but my main concern is the availability that I will have for my family. Is it realistic to think that I will see them during med school and subsequently residency, or is PA a better option for that?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

i should probably add that my kids are 7,4,2. I hope to apply in the 2017 cycle. That means my 7 yr old would be 15-16-17 when I am finishing residency.

OK, I have no kids, so take this with a grain of salt. Med school is consuming on a level that nothing in my life ever has been. Even when I am not in class/studying it is consuming my brain as I learn to adapt to this new picture of myself in medicine. My husband (active duty airforce) has had to get used to very little time and attention, and his reflection is it has been for me like what being an executive officer was for him. My friends in school with kids have told me they study less than they wish, sleep less, and see their kids quite a bit less than they would like. So the reality is yes you would be committing to an incredibly time consuming and exhausting experience. Is it still doable to make the time you have meaningful, yes. Is it fair in the end to them is something you have to decide. One of the dad's in our class said the clearest thing to him was when he sat down with his daughter (12ish at the time I believe) and explained what he wanted and what it would take. He weighed the options with her and asked her what she thought he should do. PA will undoubtedly be a less time consuming route and commitment on the other end, but is it enough? Only you can decide this but maybe talk with the older kids one on one and see what they say. Also make sure you are real with your sig other to make sure they are "ready" for the avalanche that is school again. GL this is a hard choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been lurking around on this forum for years now and have not seen threads on this topic. I am the father of 3 beautiful children and husband to the most wonderful woman. Years ago, while serving in the military, I decided that I wanted to go to medical school. This was 3-4 years ago. I have since gotten out and started the pre-requisite course series. I am currently in Ochem 2 and Biochemistry. I just have physics (1+2) left. I am starting to second guess my choice in leaving active duty to pursue medical school. I always hear how medical school is so hard and time consuming and that it only gets worse in residency. The worry that I have is that I will miss my kids growing up. Not like miss a party here or there, or miss little league sports once in a while, but I have a serious concern that I will be, for all intents and purposes, absent. Is this a valid concern, or am I over thinking it.

I have also looked into PA several times over the last 3-4 years and have even shadowed a few PAs, but something keeps me interested in pursuing the MD or DO. The attraction to the MD/DO degree stems from the other aspects that are attached to the degree (leadership, administrative), coupled with the clinical aspect.

Anyway, I am probably rambling, but my main concern is the availability that I will have for my family. Is it realistic to think that I will see them during med school and subsequently residency, or is PA a better option for that?
Thanks for your help!

First off, you seem like a stand up guy, and a great husband and father. I know many people who were in your position when they embarked on long-term time consuming ventures, such as medical school or starting a business.

The first thing you have to think about is location. If you go to a school near your home, that will make it so you have a lot of time with the family. A 1-2 hours commute may hurt you in this sense. Would you be willing to move your family in order to be close to a school? Also, most schools seem to have recorded lectures, so maybe you could stay home for these just to be present during those times.

The second thing is you would have to make your kids part of your journey. Have them help you study, use flash cards, quiz you, whatever- you may have to wait a few years for the youngest.

The most important thing you have to realize is although you may be absent, you're doing it for an admirable cause. You're not out touring with a garage band or playing minor league ball for 15 years. Eventually they'll watch you practice medicine and be amazed by what you have accomplished.

Similar situation here. My kids are the same age as yours.

I've been listening to the way people talk about medical school, and the *belief* that it is all consuming and more work than anything-else-in-the-whole-of-ever, but if I listen to them actually describe their days it sounds like they're spending about 60-70 hours per week. Which is significant, but *seems* more significant to someone who has gone from high school to college to medical school. This is their very first foray out of undergrad. So it feels to them like they have no time and all the stress etc, etc.

Which is not to say that it isn't stressful and time consuming, but traditional students don't have the benefit of an extra decade of time management skills that many non-trads have. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between what non-trads report and what traditional students report. Not different stories, but stories told with different intensities.

Right now I am a full time student with a 4.0, a part time job, my husband works 2 jobs and we have 3 kids. Is it a lot? Sure, but it's also totally manageable. We have time for volunteer projects and social commitments and hanging out watching TV after the kids bedtime every night. The caveat is that there is always one room of the house that looks like no adult has stepped foot in there for weeks. But I suspect that would be true even if we didn't have so much going on.

If you and I continue on this path, we will miss significant portions of our kids' lives. But

. . . as I was typing my 2 year old threw up in his bed. I'm not sad about *all* the things I might miss in medical school and residency. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your help!

PA as a lifestyle is no different than MD. Most successful PA's work as many hours as the doctors they work for. The surgical PAs often do call with the docs they're assigned to by the practice. I took work home almost every night - I had to pick my daughter up from daycare so I couldn't finish at work. My boss wasn't happy I'd work a 10 hour day for salary instead of a 9 because I had to pick my daughter up from daycare. There are other jobs. I took one in a prison because of the salary/lifestyle combination. For me and my family it was worth it.

PA school is 2 years of all consuming stress. (without a family) Medical school with a supportive spouse isn't any worse. There's more to learn in medical school, but I've adjusted to it. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not in the top of my class. I try to balance life with all of my kids (picking them up from after school activities - which we limit, going to games, being there for concerts, doctors appointments, etc) with my schedule and my husband's (he's finishing a master's degree and working full-time). We have a lot going on, but I'm surviving and so are my kids.

My kids will never think they have enough of my time. They didn't think they had enough of my attention when I worked every week. I'm there for dinner and bedtime and more as I'm able. I study until midnight every night after they're in bed. My husband is amazing and makes sure everything's taken care of when I can't be there.

If you think PA is not what you really want, then go to medical school. I wasn't happy after 15 years feeling like I'd maxed out my career options. I really wanted to be able to do more for my patients. If that's a feeling you think you may end up having, then go for medical school. If you would be fine always being a junior officer or an XO, then go to PA school. A lot of people are really happy being PAs and are glad they don't have the responsibility of being MDs.

They're both great careers. I recommend looking at where you'll be in 4 years, and at 7. Where will your kids be? Your 2 year old will only be 9. You'll still have so much non-school time with them. Where do you want to be in 4 years? Would you rather be working in a career? Or would you rather have an MD with a 3 year residency (or more) to go?

There are no bad choices here. Good luck!

PA as a lifestyle is far easier than MD. I'm still glad I'm a doctor. You'll be around as much as you would on AD (more). In fact, for the first couple years, you'll be around more. Overall outcome depends on specialty choice. Just in case you were Navy "choose your rate, choose your fate".

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with you. I'm hoping to apply next summer as well, and my kids are 7, 5, and 4. I'm a woman, though, so there's all the socio-cultural stuff that goes along with a mom electing to embark on a professional journey that will take most of her children's childhoods to complete. But, I mean, I'm already a lawyer. It's not like I'm a stranger to losing time with my family. If anything, I think I will probably be present with my kids more during the first two years of Med school than I have at any other time in their lives. If I end up in a primary care residency, I'll be done and in practice by the time my oldest finishes high school.

I think it will be hard. Like, extremely difficult to manage, as well as emotionally taxing for the whole family. But at the end of the day, I can only hope that getting to do what I love for the next forty years will serve my family better than me being resentful of not getting to pursue my passion for that length of time. YOLO, or whatever the kids say these days...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Similar situation here. My kids are the same age as yours.

I've been listening to the way people talk about medical school, and the *belief* that it is all consuming and more work than anything-else-in-the-whole-of-ever, but if I listen to them actually describe their days it sounds like they're spending about 60-70 hours per week. Which is significant, but *seems* more significant to someone who has gone from high school to college to medical school. This is their very first foray out of undergrad. So it feels to them like they have no time and all the stress etc, etc.

Which is not to say that it isn't stressful and time consuming, but traditional students don't have the benefit of an extra decade of time management skills that many non-trads have. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between what non-trads report and what traditional students report. Not different stories, but stories told with different intensities.

Right now I am a full time student with a 4.0, a part time job, my husband works 2 jobs and we have 3 kids. Is it a lot? Sure, but it's also totally manageable. We have time for volunteer projects and social commitments and hanging out watching TV after the kids bedtime every night. The caveat is that there is always one room of the house that looks like no adult has stepped foot in there for weeks. But I suspect that would be true even if we didn't have so much going on.

If you and I continue on this path, we will miss significant portions of our kids' lives. But

. . . as I was typing my 2 year old threw up in his bed. I'm not sad about *all* the things I might miss in medical school and residency. ;)
I would like to say that students all over view the experience of med school differently but as a non-trad I get what was meant that balance is different for someone straight out of undergrad or someone married (and even more different for someone married with kids). I said all consuming with a different meaning. It isn't that it consumes every waking minute of your time but rather it consumes your consciousness in a way that leaves very little room for anything else. You become so engrossed in this world of medicine that you even spend your off time contemplating and analyzing. Even while at the dinner table or while gardening on the weekend I will find myself processing things and mulling things over (even when I try not to). Will you have hours in the day when you are not in class, yes. Will it be incredibly hard to not bring med school everywhere and into every conversation, YES. That is the reason my friends with kids feel worn out and frustrated is they can't enjoy the time with kids as much because of the weight of medical school always on your shoulder. For the record I am about 6-8 years older than most of my peers, have worked and been married for years and own a house with my husband about an hr commute away. All these factors play a difference in how this experience is affecting me but I have learned that across all perspectives, from every person in class, med school will consume you in some way or another (your time, your effort, your energy, your brain space, your emotions, and more). In my opinion you should be very aware of what it is usually like, and if you can be that one in a million who doesn't feel consumed great. (but don't expect that).

Thanks for your help!
I always see my son, and soon to have a second kid. I always make time--this mean I am a mediocre student and I'm totally at peace with that.
You make your own schedule. I study after dinner and after my son is in bed--and on weekends during "nap time"--which as he has gotten older is just quiet time alone in his room with crayons, trains, or whatever. M3 and M4 will be interesting but possible.

Now, does my kid sometimes draw things that look like whatever organ system we are studying? Absolutely! Does he know I love him, absolutely.

Below are my replies to another thread on the subject.

As I mentioned, I feel that kids in school can be helpful in ways because it prevents school from completely consuming you. When I'm wrestling with my four year old, it's impossible to think and stress about the next day's test or whatever. I swear this has helped me do so well while having a happier and less stressful life than many of my single peers. You just have to keep a positive attitude through it all and keep your priorities straight. While not always possible, it's very important!

Hey there! Congrats on your acceptance. I'm a fourth year, coasting through my last rotation, I matched into my top choice orthopedics program (dream specialty, amazing program, perfect location), life is good! I started DO school at 30 with a 1 year old and had a second kid during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. Kids are now 4 and almost 2. Overall, this has been a good experience and I don't feel that I've missed out on a lot with the family, and I've done really well school wise, however it has been way harder and more stressful than I could ever have imagined! Med school is a rollercoaster, there are really brutal times where I wouln't see my kids much for a month, and then there's been really chill times where I only work half days a couple times a week. Wife didn't work 3rd and 4th years, we probably would have lost money with how expensive daycare is. I don't have too much time to type right now (hanging with the kiddos), so I've copied some posts of mine from over the years on the subject. It's kind of a lot and some may be repetitive, but should have some helpful advice for you. I feel really thankful that it has all worked out and that we've had a lot of help along the way. Good luck and I'm happy to answer more questions.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/well-my-wife-is-pregnant.986445/#post-13718418
"Hey Congratulations!! I am an OMS-I with a 1.5 year old son. First, I will say that being a dad has literally been the best experience of my life (and I've done a lot of really cool things in my life). The amazingness is beyond explanation.

There is already some good advice on this thread, and I'll add my $.02. First of all, being a good father while being successful in med school is very doable, although it takes effort. As said before, you have to prioritize your family and not let school consume your life. It would be sad to look back at your kid's early years and realize that you missed them because of school. Your wife will have to step up a lot and take care of the baby on days before an exam when you really have to study. I agree that it's very important to show your appreciation and encourage her to take free time to do fun things when you don't have to study and can take care of the baby.

On average, having a baby hasn't affected my school experience too much, but I do feel like it's made medical school a little bit harder (and sometimes I feel like medical school makes having a baby harder). It's really not bad though. When things get rough is when the baby (and therefore you and your wife) gets sick, which seems to be a lot, especially if they're at day care. That's when the sleep deprivation is most severe, you're sick more which makes studying harder, and you have to figure out who's gonna watch him while you're at school since he can't go to daycare while sick. Same goes for teething in terms of the sleep deprivation. It is good advice above to do your best to get your baby to sleep through the night. We failed on this and still have trouble with sleep, which makes things a bit harder on average. I just look at the sleep deprivation as training for residency.

To succeed in med school with a kid, time management is crucial. Since any time I'm not studying I want to spend with my family, I've had to be happy with less time doing my own hobbies and socializing with my new friends from school. This has not been a problem for me, but could be harder for some people. I still get out a few times a week to at least go trail running or mountain biking or whatever for a few hours, so I still get some time to do my own thing.

Perhaps the best advice on the subject that I received is this: You have to be flexible and accept that sometimes (but not always) your grades will be affected because of your family. There's been exams where I missed a few extra points due to an especially rough night before, study time missed when I have to help my wife take care of something with the kiddo, anatomy lab study sessions missed due to taking care of a sick baby while the wife is at work, etc. Likewise, there's many times when all I want to do is play with my son or watch a movie with my wife, but I have to go study for 10 hours straight instead. You can't be a perfectionist. You will have less time to study than your classmates without kids and you will laugh when they complain about how they don't have enough time to study. With that said, it's still very possible to do well in school with kids, and it seems like all the people with kids at my school do very well. I'm always in the top 25% of my classes and often times in the top 10%, and I get to hang out with my family a lot. For me, seeing my baby reminds me daily of why I want to crush school so I can provide a great life for him in a great location, which inspires me to work hard and do well. I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any more questions about it. Good luck and enjoy the ride!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...l-school-with-a-family.1055020/#post-14906036
"To the OP, I am a 2nd year student at RVU in Colorado and my wife is a part-time teacher and we have a two year old and another kid on the way. Finances have been a hard part of medical school for us. She won't be working next year because as of now, much of her salary goes toward daycare expense, and it will be less stressful to have her at home when my schedule gets more rigid and longer hours away from home on rotations. We have maxed out our COA, with an add-on that the school allows for day care expense, this is about 80,000/yr (yikes!). Even on top of that we have borrowed a couple hundred/month from family. We could probably make it without family help if we drastically changed our lifestyle by moving to a one-bedroom apartment in the ghetto or something. Thankfully, that's not a step we're having to take. Finances have been easier the past few months with the medicaid expansion, since we now qualify for medicaid and we'll probably qualify for food stamps too. This seems to have eliminated our need for family help so far.

We pay 1500/month to rent a nice 3 bedroom town home in a nice neighborhood, have two old cars, and maintain a frugal but decent lifestyle. From my understanding, you cannot borrow any more school loans, private or not, above the COA. We have not used credit cards because we know that would be very bad for the long run. I love med school and overall I'm glad to be here, but I have my low moments where I wonder why I chose such a hard path to take with a family. Overall, family makes med school harder and med school makes having a family harder. Although, sometimes I think having a family has helped me perform really well because it gives me great motivation to succeed and it forces me to be and expert at time management and focused like a laser when studying.

Know your wife will have to step up and work hard too to take care of the kids and things around the house while you're studying for long hours. Be sure she has that expectation and that she is fully supportive of your med school goals, thankfully my wife is very supportive and that makes life much easier. As I said, I am very happy to be in school and I keep the positivity that it will all be worth it and I'll be able to pay off my loans without any trouble. It's important to go to a school that does not require attendance at all classes. My school is like this, so I have so far been able to strike a very nice balance between school and family by not going to any classes that are not required. Most weeks, I get to spend about as much time with them as when I was working full time, but it takes effort to do so! And there are weeks that are so full-on with school, that I don't spend much time with them. All of my personal hobbies have pretty much gone away for now. Not much social life or climbing, but it's okay! You just have to have the right attitude about it all and keep your priorities straight. I do go trail running or mountain biking about 2 times/week, which is good. You will laugh when your single classmates complain about how busy they are and how little freetime they have. Feel free to ask me any specific questions and good luck!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...sicians-is-it-worth-it.1178947/#post-17326897
"That's a reasonable question you're asking. I'm a married 4th year with two little kids, anxiously awaiting match day to see if I make it into ortho, with family med as my backup specialty. Is med school brutal and damn hard? for sure. Is it worth it? overall, yes. I had an awesome career beforehand, but also worked some pretty crappy jobs. I'm happy I've chosen this route, overall I've actually had a pretty enjoyable experience and don't feel like I've missed out on much in terms of family life. I have had to sacrifice pretty much all of my personal hobbies and social life, but that's okay, I know that stuff will come back again when I'm an attending. While parenthood makes school harder and vice versa, I feel that having kids has helped me do as well as I have because it helps me focus very well. When I get my relatively limited time to study compared to my peers, I STUDY. I don't goof off, I focus like a laser and get it done. I've enjoyed the material we've learned, which makes the studying feel a little more tolerable. Third and fourth years have been super fun overall, getting to talk to patients, do some procedures, feel a little closer to being a doctor. If I make it into ortho, I'll be so stoked, that's the coolest job in the world in my opinion.

Don't let other people's negativity deter you. I've noticed a large portion of my classmates are very neurotic and negative people who would probably be whiny and unhappy doing anything. However, med school is really harder than I ever imagined, and there have been plenty of times where I question what the hell I've done with my life. There's plenty of hardships besides the obvious difficulty of the course work that come with school that I did not anticipate that you really need to consider.
- finances. with a family, this has been a constant stressor. COA is calculated for single people. We live decent but frugally, but still have had to take max COA, and also borrow from family. Honestly, if we couldn't borrow from family, it just would not be possible financially. Of course the massive debt (probably will be around 400k) is pretty daunting.
- travelling for audition rotations for first half of fourth year. Being away from my wife and small kids, missing my youngest's first steps really sucked hard.
- being the clueless outsider in a new environment every month during rotations. It sucks feeling like a ******* most of the time and trying to fit in other people's work places.
- constant stress about match day. Especially now, it seriously takes everything I have to be present and not freak out with anxiety every day."

I'm sure there's others that I can't think of right now. Again, I'm happy to be here and feel grateful to have the opprotunity to be a doctor. Any specialty is far better than most jobs out there that people have to do every day. Now I just worry about what ortho residency will be like. With psych, you'll at least have a pretty chill residency. And it's a pretty cool field, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Be sure to keep a good attitude and maintain perspective. Check out some of my past posts for more advice and thoughts on being a non-trad in med school. Good luck with it all!

Another important point to make: I think having kids in med school can also help because kids force you to stop obsessing about school. I think the fact that I spent less time studying and stressing over school than many of my peers not only kept me happier and less stressed, but actually helped me do as well as I did.

Also, with kids you should just accept that you will have to borrow a lot of money. Although with your wife making 60k, you'll be better off than we were.

Last edited:
thanks to everyone that has posted. it is really encouraging to hear your stories and successes. I guess the idea is just to take a day at a time right? when there is time just take advantage of it and hope that it is not too long before the next window. Is residency going to be a continuation of that, or will it be worse? I know intern year will probably be rough, but after that it is probably specialty dependent? again thanks, SDN always comes through

Started med school when my daughter was 7-8 and didn't feel like I missed too much. There are times when you have to buckle down and study all day (eg, during board study period) but for the most part, it has been totally doable. Fortunately, I also have a very supportive spouse who will do everything else; I didn't even know where a nearby grocery store was. I mostly studied at home, which saved me at least 1-1.5 hr a day for me to spend time with my family. Some of my classmates didn't know me too well because I rarely went to social gatherings. Did I miss out on opportunities to make friends? Sure, but this was just my choice. Enjoy the ride, time will fly, and you will be done before you even know it. GL.

Compared to residency, med school is a walk in the park. As a med student, I too thought I was the busiest person around and that I had no free time whatsoever. Then I started residency and I had no idea (granted it was general surgery). Residency is a whole new ball game. During med school, you get most weekends off and pretty much every night at home with your family. Not the case during residency. Your time is not your own. It is so much different that it is difficult to put into words. Don't plan your future based on the impact of med school alone because med school is nothing more than a stepping stone to the rest of an extremely busy life. It's nice to say that "Oh it's your dream and it's so noble a profession" but that'll get really old after your first night on call as an intern.

i went through medical school with 3 kids. When I started medical school they were 7, 4, and 1. I am now about to complete a fellowship and my children are 15, 12, 9, and 4. What you need to understand is that it will be difficult. However, it is do-able. If you were to be working a regular job, you would be there all week as well correct? So there is no real difference there. Where it comes to be different is when there are exams and when you start residency.

Certainly what I did, may not work for you but this is just an example. As I said, I treated medical school like the work day. I would come home from school and we would eat dinner together. After dinner was over, I would go to the library and study until it closed then came home a studied. During the week, I started a "Daddy and Me" time, where I would take one of the girls (I have 4 girls by the way) to either Starbucks or the Diner and I would order a cup of coffee and either some milk for them or hot choccolate and we would spend time there. They would control the conversation, I would just sit there and listen or they would color something and tell me about it. Either way they had my 100% attention. On the weekends, I would spend the time with my family, Sunday afternoons, I would start studying again. On Saturday nights, I would ask one of my classmates to babysit and I would take my wife out. Of course, these things would be suspended during exam week but other than that we had a lot of time together.

When it came to family activities, like birthdays, we would look at my exam schedule and either plan it for after the exam or no where near one. I did have the chance to attend many school events of my children and I had them participate in things that I did. For example, I brought my daughter to school with for "take your daughter to work day" since at the time, THAT was my job.

Residency and fellowship are much different. We would have to make sacrifices for my schedule. As it was my schedule that dictated what we did. But on my weekends off, I was home. We did things, day trips, my wife and I went out, etc.

This is just what I did. It may not necessarily be the right thing for you, you need to come up with that. Remember that they will always be there for you and they are what you look forward to come home to.

Reactions: 1 users
PA school is 2 years of all consuming stress. (without a family) Medical school with a supportive spouse isn't any worse. There's more to learn in medical school, but I've adjusted to it. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not in the top of my class. I try to balance life with all of my kids (picking them up from after school activities - which we limit, going to games, being there for concerts, doctors appointments, etc) with my schedule and my husband's (he's finishing a master's degree and working full-time). We have a lot going on, but I'm surviving and so are my kids.

Raising a family and doing med school is a huge accomplishment. I wish I had that kind of intelligence/efficiency. Out of curiosity, to get into med school were to at the top of your class in PA school? Are you studying more hours everyday now or were you studying this much in PA school also?

If I can chime in a bit. I don't have kids. That being said you are still finishing off your undergrad. You may even want to consider becoming an NP. If you really need to do medicine from the perspective of an MD pursue it. That being said be very careful. You yourself stated the issues before hand. You have 3 young kids. You are looking at only having the ability to spend a limited amount of time on them. This puts a lot of pressure on your spouse, who I am sure is understanding but you never know until you are truly in the thick of things.. Yes it is definitely possible to do what you are asking about.

It will be very difficult and time wise you won't have a lot. Especially depending on what specialty you want to do. If you want to be a surgeon for example you will be looking at a minimum 5 year residency. So by the time you are all done you are looking at between 10-15 years total before you are able to make money. Put money towards loans and your kids education for college. The one who is 17 will be entering college just as your career is truly starting. Again its not the end of the world but it puts a lot of strain on you. You won't be able to be there a lot for them for a while.

Money isn't the most important thing in the world, but it does factor into this equation. The other thing will be time. Time is more important than money with kids.

I am not saying this to discourage you. In fact I am someone who always says go for it. You just need to be honest with yourself. Will your spouse be ok with you not being there during this time. Financially will you be able to support your family on a single person's household while going to school.

It is easier to answer these questions when you are just worrying about yourself or it is you and your spouse and no kids because two adults can figure it out. You have 3 people living in your household who have wants, needs, and desires, and have no way of fulfilling them without significant support. I want to say good luck to you especially if you go down this path. People have been successful and you can be too.

There are a lot of sacrifices made as a parent in medical school. I've missed some events I wish I hadnt. There are bright points I was able to get to - tonight was my six year old's science fair and I was able to go. Like one of the posters above, i have made sacrifices both with my family and my grades. Still, I made it into a specialty is love in a city with family. I wouldn't change it for the world, even though I know residency is going to be extremely difficult. Everyone has to make this decision for themselves, but a solid 10% of my class has children, and all made it where they wanted to go. Good luck in your choice!

Raising a family and doing med school is a huge accomplishment. I wish I had that kind of intelligence/efficiency. Out of curiosity, to get into med school were to at the top of your class in PA school? Are you studying more hours everyday now or were you studying this much in PA school also?

I was not at the top of my class in PA school. I really didn't apply myself the way I should have, but I did well enough to keep the 3.5 GPA.

Yes, I'm studying far more hours now. There's also a 18 year gap between then and now, and my test taking skills seriously declined. I'm not at the top of my class now, either. I have to take time off for family responsibilities, and being at the top of the class requires a life of nothing but studying (according to my friends who are there). However, I'm also not at the bottom of my class.