Premed International Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grassisgreener

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to volunteer internationally next year. I am currently a freshmen premed chem major.

I found this site http://www.cfhi.org/web/index.php

They want senior premed only. Idealistically I want to do something like this next year before I start buckling down for transfer and MCAT's. Not only for experience but to put on my apps for med school.

Does anyone out there know of a program that will take pre-transfer premed students?

Thanks!:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

islonline has a medical trip program that goes to central american and african countries... kinda expensive though (I personally didn't do that)

you might consider studying abroad through your school- even if it is not medically related it makes you look very diverse. I did 2 study abroad trips and 2 humanitarian missions trips (through private groups) and my study abroad trips were asked about the most (see MDapps)

Good Luck!

AWESOME!! I was thinking of going through the school. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really like to volunteer internationally next year. I am currently a freshmen premed chem major.

I found this site http://www.cfhi.org/web/index.php

They want senior premed only. Idealistically I want to do something like this next year before I start buckling down for transfer and MCAT's. Not only for experience but to put on my apps for med school.

Does anyone out there know of a program that will take pre-transfer premed students?

Thanks!:idea:

I did a CFHI program after my sophomore year. It worked out fine. I made it a part of my application and have had the opportunity to talk about it during interviews and a lot of the secondary essays. I would recommend it. I was working with local physicians along side other MD medical students from the US and Mexican medical students as well. The thing is though, its really quite expensive.

Edit: I also got some good letters of rec out of the experience.

islonline has a medical trip program that goes to central american and african countries... kinda expensive though (I personally didn't do that)

you might consider studying abroad through your school- even if it is not medically related it makes you look very diverse. I did 2 study abroad trips and 2 humanitarian missions trips (through private groups) and my study abroad trips were asked about the most (see MDapps)

Good Luck!

I used isl and it was fantastic!

i would look and see if your undergrad institution has any sort of grant or scholarship for this type of thing.

I am not sure what exact kind of program you are looking for, but I know of an organization that does international service trips regarding optometry/ophthalmology. It's called Unite for Sight; you can do a quick Google search to find their website.