Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Premed International Experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by grassisgreener, Dec 8, 2008.

1. grassisgreener

grassisgreener Pre-Med
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would really like to volunteer internationally next year. I am currently a freshmen premed chem major.

I found this site http://www.cfhi.org/web/index.php

They want senior premed only. Idealistically I want to do something like this next year before I start buckling down for transfer and MCAT's. Not only for experience but to put on my apps for med school.

Does anyone out there know of a program that will take pre-transfer premed students?

Thanks!:idea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    islonline has a medical trip program that goes to central american and african countries... kinda expensive though (I personally didn't do that)

you might consider studying abroad through your school- even if it is not medically related it makes you look very diverse. I did 2 study abroad trips and 2 humanitarian missions trips (through private groups) and my study abroad trips were asked about the most (see MDapps)

Good Luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. grassisgreener

grassisgreener Pre-Med
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    AWESOME!! I was thinking of going through the school. Thanks so much!

4. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did a CFHI program after my sophomore year. It worked out fine. I made it a part of my application and have had the opportunity to talk about it during interviews and a lot of the secondary essays. I would recommend it. I was working with local physicians along side other MD medical students from the US and Mexican medical students as well. The thing is though, its really quite expensive.

Edit: I also got some good letters of rec out of the experience.

5. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I used isl and it was fantastic!

6. TXMD92

2+ Year Member

i would look and see if your undergrad institution has any sort of grant or scholarship for this type of thing.

7. apgar

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am not sure what exact kind of program you are looking for, but I know of an organization that does international service trips regarding optometry/ophthalmology. It's called Unite for Sight; you can do a quick Google search to find their website.