Premed obsession

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Sep 23, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy
    7+ Year Member

Well yesterday i was studying organic w/some premed buddies, and everytime we all study together we get really side tracked and start talking about random stuff. well yesterday was about premed, med school. One of my friends was like man you think to much about med school or getting in, if i thought about it as much as you i wouldve blown up. Now im thinking honestly since i have started posting on sdn, i have learned so much more about the whole process, what to expect, what schools are somewhat looking for. But i think since i know more about the premed/med school thing then alot of my friends they really think im a dork/obsessed with this. They are like you are only a sophomore, just chill dont worry so much. Im just wondering does anyone else get this from their friends or anything like it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Although I wish I too had known a lil more about the whole process prior to applying I think the best scenario was to be blissfully ignorant at times. Believe me, when you have organic to worry about and whatever else is on your plate, the last thing you want to stress youself out over is med school applications. I understand everyone wants to be prepared and everyone wants to get a leg up on the competition but remember these are the best years of your life, enjoy them (well up until the MCAT, then you can stress out!). If I were you I would work hard, party hard and just try not to lose sight of what is important, your sanity.

-CT

4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I get it all the time. But I think that it's good to be well informed. Just because you read up on everything and know what's going on doesn't mean you're stressing out over it. I enjoy learning about the admissions process and seeing how others are faring in the rat race.

Believe me, at my undergrad school people think I'm a nut. My pre-med advisor doesn't understand why I have to get everything in so early and nobody else really has any clue what's going on. Everytime I'm waiting outside my advisor's office for something I end up giving the waiting pre-meds advice.

Call me neurotic, know-it-all, whatever you like. I just know that I have the knowledge of what I should be doing, and I'll be happy to share it with anyone else.

5. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, if you're only a sophomore now, just know that it will only get worse. I'm applying now, and since I've started going on interviews my obsession level has risen exponentially. And my roommates, parents and friends are to the point where if i even mention how insecure i'm feeling about getting in they threaten to beat me over the head w/ the MSAR and lock me in my room 'till Oct. 15. Just try and take a deep breath and realize that applying to med school is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't think about it to the point that you burn out. Good luck and hang in there!

6. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy
    7+ Year Member

The thing is i really dont feel obsessed with this med school thing. I feel informed. I just think my friends are thinking im going to far with it since i know alot more than they do and am only a sophomore. i know there is a certain time when everyone stresses over this process, and its not my time yet. All i care about is getting a good grade in organic. thanks for input.

7. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"beat me over the head with the MSAR and lock me in my room till Oct. 15" --great quote! i am sure that everyone who knows me feels the same way!