Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Premed question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mh2002ny, Nov 30, 2002.

1. mh2002ny

mh2002ny Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi. I am new to this forum and I'm a premed student starting college this January. Being that i am 16 years old, right now just about my only option is to attend my local community college. People have told me that having courses from a community college on my transcript can put me at a disadvantage when it comes to application time. I was just wondering how severe of a problem this can be on my application. I plan on transferring to a 4 year collge or university as soon as i accumulate 24 credits which should me by next fall or the spring of 2004. I am also serious about attending medical school and plan on doing well and getting clinical experience before i take the MCAT and apply. I would just like to know if taking my first few premed courses at a community college and then taking more advanced courses(I plan on pursuing a science major, possibly biochem.) at my 4 year school would be harmful for my application. If someone with a bit of experience on this or who knows about it can give me some advice i would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. some schools wont take pre-med prerequisites from community colleges, u can decide not to apply to those schools (they are few), but to be on the safe side i would say its advisable to take ur prerequisites at a four year college.

4. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    This is exactly what I have been told and am doing. I have a question though. It has been about 3 yrs since I took bio. If I am not taking Biology until i transfer to my university, then I can't get an internship(Lab experiance) for next summer that I was interested in. They(the place where I will be interning) say you need to have taken Bio, but I don't remember most of the lab stuff, as in it's not fresh in my mind.
    Since I am at a Community college, could I take the intro bio class/ lab there? So that I would be able to at least get the internship? Then when I transfer to a university Take the Harder Bio class to show I can do it? I did get an A in HS bio, but I have been out of the lab for a while, so Would it hurt to take the intro refresher course? Would that still keep me out of some of the Med schools who don't take community college courses? or would showing that I can handle the harder Bio later satisfy them? I would appreciate it if you could answer my questions. Thanks.:)

5. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    oh good , lol, whew, took away my worries there. Ty:)