PreMed Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKaur92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into my Junior Year of Undergraduate school and I'm having strong doubts about the kind of applicant I stand amongst others.
I did horrible the first year of Undergrad having a cumulative GPA of less than 3.0, and then sophomore year I achieved a GPA for 3.82 & 3.72 for both semesters.
I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and a lower GPA for my sciences.

I have not taken research yet and I have been part of a Pre-Health/ Retroact Club since freshman year.

I also worked as a Medical assistant at a Urologist office for 3 months of Summer 2011. I was assisting the surgeons in conducting procedures such as cystoscopies and biopsies.
I worked 3 days a week there, giving 7-8 hours each day.

It was during those 3 months I realized that medicine was the field I wanted to pursue a career in. Working alongside with 2 different physicians both great at what they do, encouraged me to pursue the goal much more.

I know right now I have a lot to work on, but I just don't know where to start from.
I need to focus on my GPA and bring it up, I also have to start preparing for my MCATs.
I have taken all the science classes and will be taking Physics this coming Junior Year.

There is so much for me to do to make myself a considerable applicant, are there any suggestions as to what I should do next?

And what are the thoughts about med schools in the Caribbean? I want to become a Medical Doctor and DO schools are not something I am considering.

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go MD, then your MCAT score is going to be very important. Start preparing several months in advance, making sure you thoroughly understand the material from the pre-med science courses (Gen Chem, Org Chem, Physics, Gen Bio). I highly recommend the Berkeley Review books, but you can read about other options on the MCAT forum. I also highly recommend taking Anatomy & Physiology, as well as Biochemistry before the MCAT. They helped me tremendously.

Make sure to get plenty of volunteering/community service hours. Do you have opportunities to volunteer through your clubs? Tutoring/teaching is good too.
It looks like you got some solid clinical experience at your job last year (along with some shadowing too probably). Getting more would help you stand out. You could look into doing EMT, CNA, or Phlebotomy.
Research is a good idea, unless you absolutely hate the idea of it. It looks good to at least try it for a year or so, and if you hate it you don't have to continue.

But your #1 priority (aside from making A's in your classes) should be to study hard for the MCAT.

Caribbean is bad bad bad. Don't go there. DO is the far superior option.

Well I have been tutoring since Junior Year of High School. I was tutoring kids in Elementary school and then for the past 3 years I have been tutoring an autistic girl, I don't know if that values much when it comes to applying Med School.

As far as Research goes, I am signed up to do research with a Health Science professor, it is no hardcore biology or chemistry, it's more of a public health approach to the community's health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that tutoring experience will be looked on very favorably by med schools! On your app and at interviews, make sure to go into detail about your relationship with this autistic girl, how you've grown from the experience, what you've learned, etc. The research sounds good too.

Just remember: start preparing for the MCAT several months ahead of time. It could make or break your application.

Whatever you're doing seems to be working, so don't change it and strive to maintain
that upward trend.

You are aware that the Carribbean schools require 4 years tuition up front and have a 90%+ attrition rate, right?

Going into my Junior Year of Undergraduate school and I'm having strong doubts about the kind of applicant I stand amongst others.
I did horrible the first year of Undergrad having a cumulative GPA of less than 3.0, and then sophomore year I achieved a GPA for 3.82 & 3.72 for both semesters.
I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and a lower GPA for my sciences.

I have not taken research yet and I have been part of a Pre-Health/ Retroact Club since freshman year.

I also worked as a Medical assistant at a Urologist office for 3 months of Summer 2011. I was assisting the surgeons in conducting procedures such as cystoscopies and biopsies.
I worked 3 days a week there, giving 7-8 hours each day.

It was during those 3 months I realized that medicine was the field I wanted to pursue a career in. Working alongside with 2 different physicians both great at what they do, encouraged me to pursue the goal much more.

I know right now I have a lot to work on, but I just don't know where to start from.
I need to focus on my GPA and bring it up, I also have to start preparing for my MCATs.
I have taken all the science classes and will be taking Physics this coming Junior Year.

There is so much for me to do to make myself a considerable applicant, are there any suggestions as to what I should do next?

And what are the thoughts about med schools in the Caribbean? I want to become a Medical Doctor and DO schools are not something I am considering.

Thanks for your advice.